Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: In a need for a SF books  (Read 8193 times)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: In a need for a SF books
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 03:04:02 AM »

There are some great reads already listed here :)

I am currently reading (and really enjoying) Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice. Really excellent, refreshing and thought provoking stuff. Some of the dialog is very slightly long-winded, perhaps personal taste :)

I also cast a second vote for Neal Asher Gridlinked and Richard Morgan Altered Carbon.

For space opera specifically, Iain M Banks (I really liked Excession, Matter and most of all The Algebraist) and Alastair Reynolds (Revelation Space series).

In Fantasy, I also really enjoyed the Third Law series; more fantasy, but have you read Steven Erikson's 10-book epic 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen'? It starts with 'Gardens of the Moon' which is ironically arguably the weakest book in the series, but IMO still excellent. Books 2 and 3 are absolutely amazing. Each book is very self contained. The world building is second to none (IMO :) ).

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 06:48:53 AM »

Tnx Zaphide. The List is getting bigger :D

I got all 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen', started with 'Gardens of the Moon', read preface get all worked out after after the author wrote: "Someone will love my books and someone will hate it. There is no middle ground." Started reading it and stoped after 2 pages. Didn like it  ;D  Maybe i give it another chance but... Too many names, places on just first page of it just overwhelmed me. I dont like stuff like that :D  People told me that "Game of Thrones" novels are written with lots of description of everything, clothes, places, stuff etc. and that is not for me. I just cant read about how someone clothes look like on 5 pages. Just cant :D

Anyway i finished with Risen Empire/The Killing of Worlds excellent books really loved it and i got hooked on writer  ;D   Curently im reading first Midnighters book from same writer  ;D  It's fantasy but it's really good  ;D And after that 2x Midnighters books there is other books from same dude ill check them out too.

Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Lightfeather

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 05:43:20 PM »

What I'm about to suggest is entirely dependent on whether you like more fiction or science in your sci-fi, but anything from Peter Watts. He's a hard sci-fi writer that takes the science in his stories very seriously. Check his stuff out, he's got several of his short stories online for free under Creative Commons. The two Sunflower Cycle shorts he has out right now are pretty great, but what I really recommend and recently finished are his two books from the Firefall series. The first is called Blindsight, the second Echopraxia. There is a short story that bridges them called The Colonel. The first one is free under Creative Commons, and you can find it on his website here>>> www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight. The second is like $10 on Amazon for the ebook. They are fantastic, and they will make you question everything we think we know about consciousness. He has several other series you can look up on wiki, I haven't gotten around to reading them yet, but probably worth your time as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:46:23 PM by Lightfeather »
Patiently and excitedly waiting for the next release.
A fan of many games of the Space genre.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:02 PM »

Tnx will check them out.
Creator of:

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »

Blindsight is definitely a thought provoking read, a read it a while back and didn't realize there were "sequels". Thanks for the heads up. Great stuff, but definitely not light reading.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »

I'm going to say basically everything by Iain M. Banks is great. Pretty much my favourite author in a fight with China Mieville.

Could read his Culture series starting at "Consider Phlebas", or if you like, start with a couple of the later standalones like "The Algebraist" or "Against A Dark Background" then circle back.

Iain Banks pulls off stories that work on both a fun scifi-genre level and a 'literary' level at the same time; it's quite something.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »

Tnx  ;D
Creator of:
Pages: 1 [2]