Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Balancing: Do frigates render fighters worthless?  (Read 15203 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing: Do frigates render fighters worthless?
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2014, 07:23:25 AM »

This is getting off-topic, but how do you keep the pirate faction from being vengeful with you?
Never pursue the survivors from battle - always let them go, but you can harry them if you want.  If you accidentally select pursue, then deploy nothing and order a full retreat.

If you really want to kill a fleet, such as a much smaller bounty fleet, harry them until they decide to fight you, then fight.  Civilians will not be fooled by repeated harry, so if you want to intercept a relief fleet and kill them, you may have no choice but to pursue.

Pursuit is almost obsolete in 0.65.  You pursue, and you will burn your bridges against the involved faction.  (You are probably close to -75 reputation to begin with, and pursuing survivors will push you past the point of no return.)

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2014, 10:27:12 AM »

that a burn-5 frigate isn't all that much better than a burn-4 destroyer for your fleet speed, especially if you were sticking to the faster frigates.

I strongly disagree.
Lv10 Navigation gives +5/+5/+3/+3/+2

Burn-4 destroyer = burn 7 (9 with AugE)
Burn-5 frigate = burn 10 (12 with AugE)

This is a huge difference.
I disagree that it makes a huge difference. It makes a roughly 20% difference in the travel times in hyperspace, which cuts your supply use somewhat but otherwise saves you nothing, and which isn't all that worthwhile for trade runs, as a burn-7 fleet is still more than fast enough to respond to most events if you want to do so, and Augmented Engines probably cost you more money due to the loss of cargo capacity than they earn you through the supply savings and shorter travel times. Burn-7 is also sufficiently fast to catch anything I want to fight (though if you want to waste your time running down lone Hounds with your fleet of 30 frigates, be my guest). Nav-10 is also a long ways off at the start of the game, and by the time you get it you ought to be able to support a reasonably sized fleet. Moreover, that burn-5 frigate has garbage fuel efficiency relative to real carriers with fighter groups per logistics unit spent, and that isn't improved when you compare it as a freighter to the destroyer freighters.

oorek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »

Fighters were already underpowered, and removing zero-flux speed boost from them in the recent update made them totally useless IMO.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »

Fighters were hardly underpowered last patch.  They're still powerful due to the fact that they're nearly impossible to kill off unless you manage to take out all of the enemy's carriers.  It also helps that they have an infinite amount of missiles and have the power to deliver 400 kinetic DPS per fighter right to your doorstep, which still applies in this patch. :P
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

oorek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »

Fighters were hardly underpowered last patch.  They're still powerful due to the fact that they're nearly impossible to kill off unless you manage to take out all of the enemy's carriers.  It also helps that they have an infinite amount of missiles and have the power to deliver 400 kinetic DPS per fighter right to your doorstep, which still applies in this patch. :P

>They're still powerful due to the fact that they're nearly impossible to kill off unless you manage to take out all of the enemy's carriers

Haha what, that's definitely not true.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »

The wing still remain in your fleet even if there are no flight decks available when the last fighter is destroyed.  I love fighters, I know what I'm doing. :P It might be removed it from the battle for the time being, but it can still be deployed in the next.  They're insanely durable in that sense - so long you have one functioning carrier in the battle, then you cannot completely take the fighter wing out.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »

The wing still remain in your fleet even if there are no flight decks available when the last fighter is destroyed.  I love fighters, I know what I'm doing. :P It might be removed it from the battle for the time being, but it can still be deployed in the next.  They're insanely durable in that sense - so long you have one functioning carrier in the battle, then you cannot completely take the fighter wing out.

On the other hand, Modern epoch frigates can outpower destroyers and even cruisers. A single Tempest frigate with two heavy blasters can break an Eagle cruiser in two minutes (that's fighting the shields head on, rather than trying to flank and shoot the unshielded engines). I don't any fighter wings could pull the same off reliably, even if just against destroyers.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »

On the other hand, Modern epoch frigates can outpower destroyers and even cruisers. A single Tempest frigate with two heavy blasters can break an Eagle cruiser in two minutes (that's fighting the shields head on, rather than trying to flank and shoot the unshielded engines). I don't any fighter wings could pull the same off reliably, even if just against destroyers.

That generally requires the player to be in command, and obviously, fighters can't be controlled by players.  That aside, I'm sure an equal cost in Broadsword wings and Daggers could do the job pretty fast as well (carrier not included in the cost - not doing any of the fighting).

That'd actually be a pretty cool experiment - around 36,000c to 40,000 worth in fighters and bombers versus a single player controlled Tempest, see which once can take down an Eagle faster.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »

That generally requires the player to be in command, and obviously, fighters can't be controlled by players.  That aside, I'm sure an equal cost in Broadsword wings and Daggers could do the job pretty fast as well (carrier not included in the cost - not doing any of the fighting).

That'd actually be a pretty cool experiment - around 36,000c to 40,000 worth in fighters and bombers versus a single player controlled Tempest, see which once can take down an Eagle faster.

This would only be fair if it were a 0 skills Tempest - maybe it could take down a (D) variant, but a triple graviton Eagle is actually very good at killing frigates. Then again, its also excellent against fighters for the same reason. Eh, I haven't played with any Eagles this update, maybe they don't perform as well as I remember against small threats.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]