Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Asteroid Mining  (Read 11455 times)

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Asteroid Mining
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »

Bump, because "Alex said no, because I think it's grindy" isn't much of a reason not to.

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »

Bump, because "Alex said no, because I think it's grindy" isn't much of a reason not to.

Alex also said "Instead we'll probably get to set up, supervise and protect our own mining operations at some point," which is the better choice.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:30:49 PM by Hari Seldon »
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »

which is the better choice.
I disagree.  Sitting around waiting for your miners to work your mines seems every bit as "grindy" as sitting around waiting for your miners to work your ships.

How big is the player's "faction" supposed to get, anyways?

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 11:38:23 PM »

I find myself wanting to mine asteroids literally all the time.  (That is literally what we call "hyperbole", for the Figurative-Nazis.  (People who are figuratively Nazis, or people who are Nazis about being figurative -- take your pick.))

Given that ore can become deflated as low as 1 credit per unit in saturated markets, I think the game is already perfectly balanced to allow active mining -- it is self-defeating to use it for too long when richer financial prospects come along.  It would be nice to implement it both actively (make asteroids asplode) and passively (make ore mines not-asplode) in the long term, as both could be enjoyable; the first when you want something that doesn't shoot back, and the second when you want no shooting at all.

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »

Another thought... add a deployment menu to let you pick which ships actually go mining, then subtract CR as if they were deployed.  Since we're burning ammo shooting up a bunch of rocks.

Given that ore can become deflated as low as 1 credit per unit in saturated markets, I think the game is already perfectly balanced to allow active mining -- it is self-defeating to use it for too long when richer financial prospects come along.  It would be nice to implement it both actively (make asteroids asplode) and passively (make ore mines not-asplode) in the long term, as both could be enjoyable; the first when you want something that doesn't shoot back, and the second when you want no shooting at all.
I should note that my suggestion here doesn't have the player scoot around shooting his guns, any more than the customs inspections have the player hold his ship still while the AI ships fly around him.

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »

Ah -- I didn't read the OP initially and just assumed it was another request along similar lines as past requests.  Chalk it up to pure laziness on my part. =)

I suppose we'd need a much larger API to detect active blowings-up of asteroids in a combat scenario anyway, although it's been a while since I even bothered delving into Java long enough to see how well the API has matured... but if the combat engine is only used for combat then the rest of the game feels like a "make combat happen" engine, engineering circumstances to make things blow up, which doesn't quite sate my appetite for hands-on industry.  That's possibly overstating the fact given how much attention was given to campaign style gameplay in the 0.65 update, but at least I personally feel as though there needs to be a point to have all of those mining blasters actually installed in your weapon mounts beyond merely throwing dice and putting on wizard hats. ;-)

That all said, having finally read the OP, I do like the conversation mining suggestion as written nearly as much as the concept of active mining!

Jonofwrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 02:53:33 AM »

Asteroid mining is the ideal starter profession for new players getting to grips with the controls and earning a little money, fending off the odd low-level 'rat and learning how to trade.

Later on, managing fleet(s) of mining ships - and keeping them safe - would be a legit profession.

I like the idea of setting up mining installations on roids but that might be comparatively expensive compared to a mobile fleet of mining-capable ships. 

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 03:00:55 AM »

Please don't necro old threads, as per the forum rules.

Closed.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 [2]