Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pirate Side-Switch  (Read 4111 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Pirate Side-Switch
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »

I seem to have run into around pirate ships (single frigate) who on my approach, should switch faction to independent. Better yet, the Independent Faction decided this spontaneous change of heart made them instantly legitimate independent traders, considering I took 75 points of reputation loss. Surely they should see through this ruse?
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Side-Switch
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »

I seem to have run into around pirate ships (single frigate) who on my approach, should switch faction to independent. Better yet, the Independent Faction decided this spontaneous change of heart made them instantly legitimate independent traders, considering I took 75 points of reputation loss. Surely they should see through this ruse?

I'm sorry but I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean?

Did the pirate frigate switch sides, right as you engaged? and thus cause a loss of 75 standing with the independent?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »

Pirate smuggler single-ship fleets can change allegiance on the fly and they love doing it just before your fleet engaging them in space combat. The result is you kill "independent" ship with reputation loss.

Ubik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »

AH HA! I'm not going crazy. Pirate ships are flipping between 'acting as independents' or 'pirates' indentity tags. Alex!
---
Yeah, it's a feature. All pirates start as independents and eventually (if they're lucky enough) return to their home world with plunder. I mean, legally acquired goods. Pirate bases don't actually spawn any pirate fleets aside from the occasional smuggler.

from http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7885.285

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »

Pirate smuggler single-ship fleets can change allegiance on the fly and they love doing it just before your fleet engaging them in space combat. The result is you kill "independent" ship with reputation loss.
Witnessed them myself. They are stealthy, but they drop their cover near the base, which is the best place to strike.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »

That kinda makes it hard to collect bounties. I did great initially, until they started raising cover right before I engaged. I thought it was just a "You scare me, I am not going to attack you, hence turn from red to white to show hostility level" but then after the first fight all the Independents got *** off.

In any case, being Independent, shouldn't they not really care so much about your reputation?
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 03:56:02 PM »

I've actually never made this mistake before - I'm usually look at the name of the fleet before pressing anything.  If it's red, then it's pirate, if it's gray, then it's Independent.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »

Yes, well, I didn't know what was going on the first time, considering the fact pirates had bounties, were marked as pirates, and until recently, NPC fleets were unable to switch sides to screw the player over.

I still think it is an unacceptable game mechanic.

Ordanen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »

Yes, well, I didn't know what was going on the first time, considering the fact pirates had bounties, were marked as pirates, and until recently, NPC fleets were unable to switch sides to screw the player over.

I still think it is an unacceptable game mechanic.

I think it's an acceptable game mechanic, if only you didn't take the independant reputation loss if you saw them switch.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »

Yea. I killed another pirate fleet, with no visible change. It was still red when I engaged. Admittedly i didn't read the text, but the same result occurred.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »

Yea. I killed another pirate fleet, with no visible change. It was still red when I engaged. Admittedly i didn't read the text, but the same result occurred.
This is getting interesting. I'll let you know if the same thing happens on my end. I usually don't care if they're carrying cargo except fuel and supplies. I find Elite crews to be valuable commodities.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »

This issue I think has to do with just the smugglers. Generally they're independent until they near pirate facilities and then they show themselves to be pirates. Whenever I go to engage these fleets and they start to run and distance themselves from the pirate facilities, they go neutral but immediately try to head back to their original destination. So, I shadow them until they're in range to turn pirate again and then strike.