Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reduce relationship penalties for trading with enemies  (Read 2667 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Reduce relationship penalties for trading with enemies
« on: October 31, 2014, 04:33:17 AM »

Relationship penalties with factions for trading with their enemies in general appear to be too harsh.

I just dropped off 20-25 units of food at Ragnar Complex during a shortage + trade disruption, which gave me +1 with the Hegemony... and -8 with Tri-Tachyon. That's a pretty lopsided ratio.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce relationship penalties for trading with enemies
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »

The relationship changes drop off after some trade. This likely wasn't the first time you traded with the Hegemony, but probably *was* the first time Tri-Tachyon had heard of you trading-wise, hence the bigger impact. The penalty might still be something to look at, but I'm just saying that looking at the *ratio* doesn't tell you much.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »

Also, it misses some context.  For example, I just dropped off 1700 food to a tiny hegemony station that had a food shortage that only needed 100 food to resolve - thus profiting massively at the Hegemony's expense.  Ding, -14 reputation with the hegemony's enemies.  Seems like it only looks at the magnitude of the trade, not at whether or not I'm actually strengthening their opponents... or weakening them.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »

At least you can get around the penalty from faction x by trading with their enemies in a system where faction x has no presence, which keeps things interesting. I haven't tried large scale trading, but the numbers people mention here do sound severe. But if you can get a similarly sized positive boost just with one big trading run to restore your reputation, maybe it doesn't matter much.

If the penalty's magnitude could be adjusted on a per-faction basis, this probably wouldn't seem like a ubiquitous problem. It'd also help differentiate factions from each other more. A harsh dictatorship like the Diktat would probably have strict penalties against trading with their enemies, while more low-key groups like the Independents might only penalize you a little. Anarchic groups like pirates don't seem like they would care whom you traded with at all. Historically, different attitudes towards free trade have strongly distinguished various polities (ie America vs Barbary States, Mercantilism, etc)

Maybe this feature is already in the game and I haven't experimented enough. Anyway having all the factions, which are so differentiated by lore, react identically to the different ways you can interact with them doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:44:13 AM by nomadic_leader »

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:15:47 PM »

At least you can get around the penalty from faction x by trading with their enemies in a system where faction x has no presence, which keeps things interesting. I haven't tried large scale trading, but the numbers people mention here do sound severe. But if you can get a similarly sized positive boost just with one big trading run to restore your reputation, maybe it doesn't matter much.

If the penalty's magnitude could be adjusted on a per-faction basis, this probably wouldn't seem like a ubiquitous problem. It'd also help differentiate factions from each other more. A harsh dictatorship like the Diktat would probably have strict penalties against trading with their enemies, while more low-key groups like the Independents might only penalize you a little. Anarchic groups like pirates don't seem like they would care whom you traded with at all. Historically, different attitudes towards free trade have strongly distinguished various polities (ie America vs Barbary States, Mercantilism, etc)

Maybe this feature is already in the game and I haven't experimented enough. Anyway having all the factions, which are so differentiated by lore, react identically to the different ways you can interact with them doesn't make sense.
This helps distinguish faction behaviors. Military factions such as Diktat and Hegemony are easily offended when enemies are helped and they intend to lay down the law. Corporate factions such as Tri-Tach are moderately offended, since it threatens their influence through competition. Religious factions such as Ludd are barely offended since you're already viewed as a non-believer, but greatly offended if you are an ally. Independent factions are only irked by the action as they feel it might come back to bite later on. Pirate factions... that's obvious.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »

Seems like it only looks at the magnitude of the trade,

How do the Tri-Tachyons know how much im trading to the Hegemony, anyway?

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 01:06:21 AM »

Anyway having all the factions, which are so differentiated by lore, react identically to the different ways you can interact with them doesn't make sense.

This helps distinguish faction behaviors. Military factions such as Diktat and Hegemony are easily offended when enemies are helped and they intend to lay down the law. Corporate factions such as Tri-Tach are moderately offended, since it threatens their influence through competition. Religious factions such as Ludd are barely offended since you're already viewed as a non-believer, but greatly offended if you are an ally. Independent factions are only irked by the action as they feel it might come back to bite later on. Pirate factions... that's obvious.

Aereto, you just said the same thing I said. So are you saying it's already in the game, or it should be? I'm pretty sure all the factions react in the same way right now.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »

Aereto, you just said the same thing I said. So are you saying it's already in the game, or it should be? I'm pretty sure all the factions react in the same way right now.
Had to bring my thoughts out on the table, since I feel that we had differences on the matter, however small. As far as my plays are concerned... it feels that factions react to unhelpful behavior in a homogenous manner, not in the distinguishable fashion as we explained. Would like to verify that observation data to the others to (dis)prove my hypothesis.

How do the Tri-Tachyons know how much im trading to the Hegemony, anyway?

Comm Relays are there with a purpose. News tend to get out by public media or receive information by faction/underground spies.