Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What kind of faction should i make next?

A pirates faction
A alien faction
Another main faction
A unknown faction (Post suggestion)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41

Author Topic: The TimCORP Mod (Version 1.6,we need a new spriter, works with .52a)  (Read 193114 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Ship/mission addons + story
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »

Alright, so i made my very first (never actully made one before) and i'm putting it here, so i want to hear your guys opinion on this one.

Class: Frigate
Specialization: Engines/Speed
Weapons: Energy

Descripiton: One of the empires workhorses, The Tachyon-class frigate is the fastest frigate out their in the TimCorp (name suggestions are greatly appreciated, so far i'm sticking with TimCorp) but not the best armed.
It features durable armor and sheilding but not strong hull, to compensate for it's rapid speed.
The weapons on this frigate is good enough to take light to medium ships.

[attachment deleted by admin]

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »

:/ parts dont fit... and shouldnt the other engine be mirror of the other cause its pointing bit to the right side so the ship would go diagonally not straight ^^
(my art class was 6 on scale 4-10 so dont take my comments too seriously couldnt do better meself ^^)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »

:/ parts dont fit... and shouldnt the other engine be mirror of the other cause its pointing bit to the right side so the ship would go diagonally not straight ^^
(my art class was 6 on scale 4-10 so dont take my comments too seriously couldnt do better meself ^^)
This is my first sprite tough, and i'm 14-yr...  Don't judge to harshly, but Do judge :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »

I'm offically renaming this tread to the TimCORP mod tread

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 04:56:30 AM »

Continuation of the story (no further sprites yet, sorry guys)

Date: 234 12 20

"Sir, the main fleet has arrived" an officer stated, and from the looks, he was an higher up officer, possibly fleet commander, he was dressed in the standard officer uniform, an blue top jacket and shirt with dark blue pants, and near black, but still retaining some blue, shoes.
Ofcourse this wasen't the standard iniform for all officer, but for the more prominent commanders, this was.
"So the assault begins. Ready the detachment"
"Yes sir, and congratulations on your temporary promotion to Fleet Admiral"

Meanwhile, at the Tri-Thacyon outpost in the outskirts of the Reine nebula.
"Sir, we're having interference on our scanners, dosen't look like something major, tough."
"Keep running the testing, you know both the CEO and the board won't like it if we're behind schedule."
"Right, sir"-
The board had pressed the CEO to try out their newest scanners on some remote base, and he had chosen this base, because of it's particular remoteness.
And now it's particular remoteness was going to be it's fate.
"Ehm, sir? I don't think this is interference on the sensors."
"What do you mean, commander?"
"I think there is something out there"
"Don't be ridiculous, it's probably something with the new scanners, they're fresh off and bound to have bugs and errors."
"Maybe true, but how do you explain the very same thing showing up on our ordinary scanners aswell?
"You had those on? I thought ordered you tu turn them off?"
"Yes sir you did sir, but i had them on just in case"
"Sir, we've got incoming" the wepon officer suddenly screams
"What??"
"Multiple ships, on our scanners and our sonars, and boy they're big"
"Can you classify them?"
"I think sir, It looks atleast like there are 15 battleships, 23 cruisers, 35 destroyers and two carriers, and a big fighter assortment."
"Can we take them on?"
"No sir they'll just destroy us, but we can however, leave a rear guard to cover our retreat."
"Are you suggesting that we leave a battleship behind?"
"Not one, but two"
"Are you crazy?"
"Seems reasonable to me."
"We don't have much of a choices, do we?"
"Not much time either, sir."
"Right, Evacuate the base but leave the two paragons behind to cover our retreat."
"Yes sir"
And whilst the evacuation shuttels were leaving the two paragons were advancing upon the enemy fleet, tachyon lances blazing.

"They're not seriously thinking of sending those on us? They'll get slaughtered"
"Sir, we are taking some damage, and one of the carriers flight decks are completly destroyed, took a mean front from the tachyon lances and forgot to raise shields, and also they misjudge the firing distance of the enemy."
"Goddamnit, keep proceeding forward, push the flanks."
"Yes sir"

To be continued....
So that's one more peice of the story, and more sprites are to come, stay with me!! :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »

Alright guys i've just made my second ship sprite and would like to know your opinion on it (constructive criticism is appreciated).

[attachment deleted by admin]

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »

:/ the aft part of the sprite seems to be few pixels off alignment (if u follow the outerline of the ship u see what i mean)  :-\ but over all looks lot better...

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »

Some specs on the above firgate which i forgot to put

Class: Frigate
Specialization: Shields
Weapons: Energy/Missile
Description: The Velocity-class frigate is not as fast as it's name implies, but it has strong shields and missile systems to compensate for it's lack of speed. It bolsters an medium energy turret accompanied by an small energy turret and two missile turrets, for maximum strike effectivness.
It is very suitable for hit-and-run operations but not very suitable for heavy head on engagements, but it can take alot of punishment on it's shields whcih thankfully is backed-up by a very large (for it's class) flux storage.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 06:46:01 AM »

:/ the aft part of the sprite seems to be few pixels off alignment (if u follow the outerline of the ship u see what i mean)  :-\ but over all looks lot better...
I know i had some mistakes at the back, but i stressed it at the end so it may not look especially good there.
Thanks for your criticism tough :D

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »

I would be thankful for anymore feedback on this project and some help on how to code in java

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »

Oh, and if there are experienced modders who are reading this thread, please Do reply about how
to create a custom ship inside the game, please post a reply, im a complete noob on that :(

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »

i have an ant farm i would like to introduce you to.. they can easily outnumber you 10 to 1... :P
You dont want them to go haywire on you all at the same time gwawinf you do you?

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »

i have an ant farm i would like to introduce you to.. they can easily outnumber you 10 to 1... :P
You dont want them to go haywire on you all at the same time gnawing you do you?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: The TimCORP Mod
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 01:40:21 AM »

And does anyone know how to get the ships ingame? I really don't.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The TimCORP Mod
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:54 AM »

Whilst I don't suppose it is 'simple' to add ships coming at it fresh, it is fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it.

There are a few key things to think about:

Sprite.This is obviously the most important thing, and probably the most time consuming for most people, but also the simplest (just draw a ship, right?). After the next two stages you might want to think about redrawing some aspects of the sprite, to better fit weapons etc.

Hull.This is the .ship file, it defines the basic parameters of your ship, and sits in mod_directory/data/hulls/.

Best way to define bounds seems to be to use Trylobots or Redbulls ship editor, but the rest (setting engine coords, weapon mounts) is a little more involved and fiddly (unless RedBull's has this functionality - check it out, it's just that I don't know as I've never personally used it). Check out Trylobot's thread for finding ship coordinates. It's about as easy as it gets without a specific tool. Just use the existing .ship files as a baseline, and have a play.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=241.0

A partner ship_data.csv (and wing_data.csv for fighters) also sits in each mod directory, with only the mod specific info (ship hull, armor, fleet points etc.) for each hull type. Refer to the example files, and hopefully you should be able to figure it out.

Variants.
Once you have defined your ship, you need to create a .variant to get it in to the game with a defined set of weaponry and hullmods etc. You should probably try and match up the weapons and mods with your specified OP limit, but these limits are only enforced actually in the refit screen, not on ship generation.

Use the baseline .variants as a benchmark, and have a play around.

For getting the ship in game, it's as simple as adding a new mod directory in the mods folder. As long as you have all the other files present and correct, a tick box appears in your startup screen, and it will hopefully work.

In the event of lots of crashing by unexpected means, keep referring to the starfarer.log generated on startup and incrementally fixing typos etc. until it works as expected (if your anything like me, there WILL be typos).

These are the key threads I think you should read:

Mod Format 'Preview':
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.0

Adding Custom Ships Thread:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.0

Modding Resources, Ship editors etc.:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=633.0

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask away.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41