Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What now?  (Read 4601 times)

Aftermath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What now?
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:07:36 AM »

I know this game is technically not out yet. BUt i am a little afraid that if i download mods now i cant load my save.
Still i want to ask the question.

I am alllied  @100 with haegemony, i have 2 battleships, 3 combat cruisers, and a hand full of hammerheads, wolfs, 2 carriers and i believe a total of 6 flight wings. So yea my armada is kinda strong at the moment.

The thing is, what to do now? I am -100 with 3 faction yet no fleet was able to even break me , if i lose a ship i can just buy a new one because i have millions of accumulated credits at this stage.

What is there to do in the very late game of this game? like can you actually invade and take planets or destroy stations and i just didnt figure it out or are those features "soon"?

Also, lastly, can i install some end game focused mods without crashing my save file now or is it too late?

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:28:41 AM »

Features are coming Soon(tm) (actually pretty far off given .65 was just released) and it will break your saves, sorry.

With it being less than two weeks since .65 was released, the mod scene is not yet back to fully functional. I would suggest giving it a week or two to see all the amazing mods get back into the swing of things

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »

I know this game is technically not out yet. BUt i am a little afraid that if i download mods now i cant load my save.
Still i want to ask the question.

I am alllied  @100 with haegemony, i have 2 battleships, 3 combat cruisers, and a hand full of hammerheads, wolfs, 2 carriers and i believe a total of 6 flight wings. So yea my armada is kinda strong at the moment.

The thing is, what to do now? I am -100 with 3 faction yet no fleet was able to even break me , if i lose a ship i can just buy a new one because i have millions of accumulated credits at this stage.

What is there to do in the very late game of this game? like can you actually invade and take planets or destroy stations and i just didnt figure it out or are those features "soon"?

Also, lastly, can i install some end game focused mods without crashing my save file now or is it too late?

The game isn't finished yet, as you said. Sadly, you can't invade planets and/or stations quite yet, though that is (hopefully) coming SoonTM.

Once you start a game, you can't add most mods, though utilities like Shaderlib, Lazylib, and the Target Leading Indicator thingamajig can be enabled and disabled on a whim. Mods like Shadowyards Heavy Industries, or any mod that adds things to the campaign map have to be enabled before you make your character. Likewise, if you have a character with, lets say, Shadowyards and the Target Indicator, if you disabled Shadowyards the character wouldn't start, but if you disabled only the Target Indicator, the character would still be playable.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »

You can divide mods into 3 Categories, 2 of witch requires a new character because they add content directly into the campaign.

Total Conversions and Normal Mods: These requires their own character to run and you wont be able to play that character and saves connected to that character if the connected mod is not active.
Utility Mods: These dont have any requirements, can be ran standalone or with mods. Characters that were created while these mods were active wont have any changes to its save.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »

Unfortunately the mods haven't caught up to .65 yet and won't for a while, probably, so you're in for a bit of a wait. My advice is to set yourself challenges for new characters. I'm playing a no-skills game at the moment (I dread when I hit bounties with maxed combat).

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »

Unfortunately the mods haven't caught up to .65 yet and won't for a while, probably, so you're in for a bit of a wait. My advice is to set yourself challenges for new characters. I'm playing a no-skills game at the moment (I dread when I hit bounties with maxed combat).
Well, there is 4 factions mods already available, and given you now need 4Go of ram to play with that few more factions it's kinda enough for a start...

Punchclock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »

You would have to restart your game for mods-but you can always get the console command mod to cheat yourself back to where you were.

Your game can be made safe(er) by editing vparams if you get that pesky loading error.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

Just backup your vanilla save and go nuts with mods.

If you ever want to, you can just disable the mods and reload your vanilla save.

Starting over in a fresh new galaxy is fun! Try leveling up in a different way than you did before. Try hardcore trading if you did mostly combat before, or try a different kind of fleet, different character skills as you progress, etc.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:47:52 PM by j01 »

Sabotsas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »

You would have to restart your game for mods-but you can always get the console command mod to cheat yourself back to where you were.

Your game can be made safe(er) by editing vparams if you get that pesky loading error.

You can also use the Dev-mode shortcuts (i think it was "k" or "j") for +XP or +Credits.
So it is easy to get back into the big battles even after creating a new character.

Aftermath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:56:03 AM »

So what faction mods are already out? Are there also endgame mods already out? lastly, the problem with the developers cheats are that the enemy will still have fairly weak ships for now, am i right=?

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 02:09:05 AM »

Honestly, if the game ever starts feeling too easy for me, I just start a new game and do something different. Try being a pirate (hard mode).

The mods currently out yet are (you can tell by the little 0.65a next to their names):
-Shadowyards Heavy Industries (or is it Reconstruction Authority now?)
-Scy
-Citadel
-Mayorate

And if that's not enough for you...

Ultimate endgame content = make your own mod. ;)

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »

A bit of advice for modding... using 64-bit Java gives much more room for data to go around. There is a thread that covered how to implement that the technical way.

Ultimate endgame content = make your own mod. ;)

...I need to craft my own mod while compatible with faction mods. Would love to pit my Battleships Forever designed ships against other factions... using vanilla weapons. For now, I'm on design phase.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:58:00 AM by Aereto »