Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI Collision Tweaks  (Read 1913 times)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
AI Collision Tweaks
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »

So, it seems to me that the AI blatantly ignores ship collision if it wants to get somewhere. I discovered how self-harming this could be when I was running around in a modded Atlas (I called it the Atlas 2-class FreighterFighter). I had ramped up speed and mass and a hell of a lot of other things, but the important one is mass. I was tearing through a large group of Hegemony ships by ramming them to death at a speed of 400 with a mass of 400000, and they were now trying to flee. For fun, I decided to block an Enforcer from fleeing by sitting in its way and not firing, as I didn't want to kill it (it was nearly dead, and had no front armor left).

Okay, I need to cut to the chase, here. The enforcer proceeded to run into my ship to try retreat, and in doing do killed itself on my shields. When I tested this with dozens of other ships, they all did the same thing, like I wasn't there at all. The AI really should account for how lethal a ram will be, and maybe even use it to their advantage. It is not at all far-fetched to say that they could judge your mass by your size, so it wouldn't be bad to factor in your mass when they decide the consequences of ramming.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: AI Collision Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »

AI seems to shutdown when retreating just go after hammer head and keep pewpewing trough that chink in the shield and the ai does not respond in anyway (obvious reaction would be to turn 180 and reverse off the map but nooo)  :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI Collision Tweaks
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »

So, it seems to me that the AI blatantly ignores ship collision if it wants to get somewhere. I discovered how self-harming this could be when I was running around in a modded Atlas (I called it the Atlas 2-class FreighterFighter). I had ramped up speed and mass and a hell of a lot of other things, but the important one is mass. I was tearing through a large group of Hegemony ships by ramming them to death at a speed of 400 with a mass of 400000, and they were now trying to flee. For fun, I decided to block an Enforcer from fleeing by sitting in its way and not firing, as I didn't want to kill it (it was nearly dead, and had no front armor left).

Okay, I need to cut to the chase, here. The enforcer proceeded to run into my ship to try retreat, and in doing do killed itself on my shields. When I tested this with dozens of other ships, they all did the same thing, like I wasn't there at all. The AI really should account for how lethal a ram will be, and maybe even use it to their advantage. It is not at all far-fetched to say that they could judge your mass by your size, so it wouldn't be bad to factor in your mass when they decide the consequences of ramming.

You sure you correctly set the hullSize on the modded ship? The AI will ignore smaller ships for collision-avoidance purposes, but it will in fact avoid larger ships while retreating (just tested - you can try it easily by running "Turning the Tables", transferring to the Venture, and getting in front of the Hammerhead after ordering it to retreat).

In general, setting mass that high is going to be broken in some ways (collision handling/response, damage scaling, etc). The physics engine only handles mass well within a certain range of parameters, and the stock Atlas is about as high as it should go.