Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Jangala Test  (Read 1828 times)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
The Jangala Test
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »

Due to economic shennannigans occurring within the Shadowyards mod, I propose a simple, accelerated testing mechanism for those of you who may be experiencing similar difficulties with exorbitantly high prices on necessary goods.  The impetus behind this testing arose due to becoming aware that, when the Shadowyards mod was installed, fuel prices rose sharply (to between ~230 - 300cr/unit) and fuel supply dropped almost as dramatically.

Thus the Jangala Test was born.  The methodology is simple; after acquiring a set of price data (eurgh) from vanilla, load up your mod and then:
  • Create a character as rapidly as is feasible
  • Fly to Jangala
  • Compare prices between Vanilla items (ideally taken right as the simulation starts) and the adjusted prices caused by the presence of your mod.

Unfortunately, getting the prices back in line is just going to require an absolute ton of fiddling with economic conditions; fortunately, these problems seem to largely arise as a result of economic outliers such as Anar, which is an absurd industrial titan by sector standards.

A quick comparison of some Vanilla price sets, and price sets with the SRA enabled.  Prices compared are of necessities (supplies, fuel, and regular crew):

Vanilla prices (Jangala);
  • Set 1 - Supplies: 107 * Fuel: 90 * Crew (Regular): 75
  • Set 2 - Supplies: 102 * Fuel: 94 * Crew (Regular): 77
  • Set 3 - Supplies:  98 * Fuel: 92 * Crew (Regular): 71

SRA present prices (Jangala);
  • Set 1 - Supplies: 95 * Fuel: 100 * Crew (Regular): 68
  • Set 2 - Supplies: 99 * Fuel: 113 * Crew (Regular): 72
  • Set 3 - Supplies: 96 * Fuel: 122 * Crew (Regular): 68

Obviously not a large enough sample to be statistically significant and I am totally not investing the kind of time that would be needed to do that, but it does appear that I've managed to get things more under control.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Jangala Test
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 05:20:01 AM »

a) this is a great idea, thankyou for suggesting a unified end-user testing process like this.

b) I find it amazing and wonderful that the game's economic system actually CHANGES when you drop a massive economic powerhouse on it.  Most games would have the opposite problem :)

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Jangala Test
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:26 AM »

This is a very nice, detailed test. Good job
Starsector's code is amazing, first there is a market on a mobile fleet, now the economy automatically changes once something new is added. Awesome!
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]