Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Beyond Earth Advertised Great Mod Support: Is actually sickeningly terrible  (Read 2714 times)

oranoron

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I tried making my own mod but this game's modding requirements are beyond my self taught coding abilities and open source graphics utilities. In fact I would go as far as to say it is needlessly beyond them, I have never had this much trouble implementing original content into a game since Sword of the Star's tech tree (which required altering the tree's 3d model to make new techs actually show up in the game). The entire ordeal has left me frustrated with my purchase because I can honestly say most of the vanilla factions are just so... generic, safe and uninteresting that it makes me sick and their abilities are so lame. It leaves me with the husk of a game I am rapidly losing interest in now that I am unable to add my own factions. There is just too much work for what in half a dozen other games I could have accomplished in a few hours, in beyond earth would take me days and I would still need to buy utilities that are not cheap to do it. 

I can understand if the architecture is set up to facilitate a division of labour when a TEAM is working on the game but the audacity to tout the games mod friendliness when not inexpensive utilities programs needed to make these mods work is sickening. I will never again support a product of Firaxis or 2k over this breach of consumer trust. 

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Well they are planing like ~20 DLC so it is logical not to have easy modable game.  ::)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile

Yeah, the scenario here is an endless freight-train of paid additional content. They do not benefit ($$$$$) from making it easy for you to significantly tinker with the core game.
I'm sorry that you got caught in that trap.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile

last DLC: a GUI to make your own mods the super easy way. TWEAK EVERYTHING WITH THE NEW MOD O MATIC 3000!!!!! Only $40

Sathe

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I am honesty pretty disgusted after reading that, also I need to say not by game...

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Their last game, XCOM Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within was pretty moddable. Not terribly so, but enough.