Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simple thing, but driving me crazy  (Read 1748 times)

neptix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Simple thing, but driving me crazy
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »

Currently, when you look up prices in the intel tab, it gives you the last known price based on any intel/communications you have recieved on the subject.  What it doesn't include, and I REALLY want it to, is last known prices based on actually going to the market in question and checking the prices.  If I'm on New Magincia, I should have a price listing for everything New Magincia sells.  When I fly to Corvus, that listing should stay(out of date, until I return to New Magincia, or recieve intel another way).

This shouldn't be too hard to add, and it would make a huge difference to trading.  It may clutter up the map inteface a bit, but that already happens in systems like corvus, with multiple planets, especially with lots of trade disruption on the pirate planets.

Thanks,
neptix

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Simple thing, but driving me crazy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »

It may clutter up the map inteface a bit

You have no idea :) Actually tried it at one point, it's straight up not workable.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:21:15 PM »

Perhaps there should be a dedicated price page and the intel map should only show prices far from the average?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:26:29 PM »

I agree with the sentiment of this suggestion, but I don't think it makes sense to justify a massive increase in clutter by saying it's already cluttered.

There are 7 star systems with over 3 markets each, and there are over 15 commodities. That amounts to 315 icons on the Intel Map with 'Prices' selected. That's not likely to happen unless you've done nothing but run around checking prices for an (in-game) month or you select the 'Cycle' time-frame, but I think 315 demonstrates how it could be a problem anyway.

However, when I'm trading I always click the individual commodities under prices anyway because it's so much easier to read. I think it might be a good idea to show all known commodity prices when the selection is narrowed down that much.

I'm pretty sure checking a market does update your intel, but only noteworthy prices are added. I think the only reason the omission of prices that aren't noteworthy can be frustrating is that Starsector currently doesn't do the best job of deciding what is and is not noteworthy. For example, you can go to Eos and find food prices that are lower than anywhere else in the sector, but it won't register as important intel because low food prices are par for the course in Eos (at least, I assume that's the reason)

neptix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:31:18 AM »

Yeah, I can see that it wouldn't be workable with all the resources.  I've been using the filter by resource option in the menu, and it's frustrating to have, say, no listed prices for food, when the station I'm on sells food.  If you could have it only show up when filtered by resource(also sorted by age of intel), that would keep it less cluttered that some of the other options currently IG.

I'm also one of those people who feels that 30% tariffs are too high, but someone mentioned that's configurable, so that's not really an issue.  The instepctions and shakedowns are really annoying, but in a "go to hell, I'm going to be a pirate!" kind of way, not a "This game is *** me off, I don't want to play it" kind of way :)  The trade system needs a fair bit of tweaking, but that's hardly surprising, and other people have covered my other issues with it.    There's a massive amount of stuff there, and I'm excited about seeing what it'll become.  What other milestones do you have planned?  Are you going to perfect the world and then leave it at that, or will you be adding a "plot" (or will modders be doing so?)  Keep up the good work

neptix