Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wolf + ITU + Aug Engines + Blaster can kill cruisers  (Read 5728 times)

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Wolf + ITU + Aug Engines + Blaster can kill cruisers
« on: October 25, 2014, 03:07:27 PM »

A Wolf with an Integrated Targeting Unit and a Blaster (I also had Augmented Engines, don't know if those are required) can kite larger ships pretty easily by flying backwards.  If you are careful and stay at the maximum range of your Blaster you can hit their shields while they don't have the range to hit you back, nor can they close the distance because you are too fast, nor do they vent because they are too scared of your Blaster being in range.  Then once they overload or are forced to vent, attack them then back off when they recover.

I killed a Falcon with one Wolf this way, taking no damage.  I haven't tried larger ships but wow, a starting frigate (though I was a high-level character) that can kill a cruiser.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:12:36 PM by Hari Seldon »
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf + ITU + Aug Engines + Blaster can kill cruisers
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »

If you think that's good, you haven't seen the capabilities of people yet.  There have been videos of people destroying the Hegemony Defense Fleet with just a Tempest (before CR came into effect - now it takes 2 or 3 due to extended combat debuffs).

This is pretty common for more micro-intensive and "pro" players like Megas (who happen to be completely against CR solely due to the fact that it limits how much stuff they can kill ;D) to do stuff like that.  For me, and probably most of the other people around here, prefer a slower, larger approach to combat - bigger ships than frigates, and a lot more of them, for example.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »

The strategy I list here is really easy and boring to use.  I need to find another strategy that is more exciting.  Thanks for pointing me towards Megas.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »

Well, Gothars did kill an Onslaught in a Buffalo MKii, and it was before the missiles buff...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »

This is pretty common for more micro-intensive and "pro" players like Megas (who happen to be completely against CR solely due to the fact that it limits how much stuff they can kill ;D) to do stuff like that. 

The main point of CR degeneration on frigates is to avoid such tactics :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »

Even with CR, it was possible for a single Afflictor or Tempest to solo a Hegemony defense fleet with luck.  Luck being that the frigate took the fight to the top side of the map so that reinforcements burning in slammed into their own ships.  In my solo Afflictor victory, I had an Onslaught burn in and smashed a Condor from full health to dead in seconds.  Also, Pilums flaming out and hitting their own ships.

@ Hari Seldon:  A single Wolf flagship with max Combat and Technology can solo most pirate fleets.  Problem ships include Monitor (one blaster alone cannot overcome dissipation) and Eagle (three graviton beams interferes with your control unless you have maneuverability boosts).  With the recent boosts to missiles, a Wolf with two mounted Reapers and Missile Specialization 5+ can kill one cruiser almost instantly with four Reapers.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »

well, in truth, with the current missile buffs, there haven't been a ship in the game that i haven't been able to kill with a frigate and remain unharmed on top of that. a harpoon pod can almost kill an onslaught by itself. anything smaller than a cruiser will die to 1 frigate with a good setup.

Wolf with two mounted Reapers and Missile Specialization 5+ can kill one cruiser almost instantly with four Reapers.

This will kill every single ship in the game with some effort.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »

This little ship, with the loadout you see, can solo and destroy multiple capital ships at once, without ever firing its inbuilt weapons (or any weapons at all), and before it starts to lose CR.

Spoiler
[close]

I just got done taking on a paragon and onslaught together in the sim, with this.

It's pretty hilarious, and might even be possible without some of the more powerful level 10 character perks.

[EDIT] Here, have some videos of this beastly frigate soloing capital ships without taking damage and without firing a shot: and
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:39:20 PM by j01 »

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »

I don't think the monitor or brawler lose CR.

That is really tedious, and i don't think i'd enjoy it. The results are impressive though.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 12:23:46 AM »

I don't think the monitor or brawler lose CR.

That is really tedious, and i don't think i'd enjoy it. The results are impressive though.
Monitor loses CR (it can be seen in the video) But the brawler doesn't
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 02:50:49 AM »

Monitor loses CR (it can be seen in the video) But the brawler doesn't

Ah. I should have watched it fullscreen. Oops.

I think that in some ways the wolf + blaster + ITU combo is the best (frigate) is because you can easily kill frigates with it too. Most of the other ships require you to focus on punching up to reliably kill cruisers. Leaves you (or me at least) feeling vulnerable to frigates and especially fighters.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 08:42:02 AM »

The most powerful frigates, at least in 0.62, are Afflictor loaded with Antimatter Blasters or Tempest with two Heavy Blasters.  They were the only frigates that had a chance to solo a defense fleet in 0.62 before CR degraded to meltdown level.  Afflictor can kill anything quickly, but it is weak against fighters.  Tempest with two Heavy Blasters is unforgiving to use, but it wrecks everything.

Monitor is weak against destroyers.  Destroyers are not massive enough for shield ramming to be very effective, and they can withstand much IR pulse laser fire.

Wolf is okay; it is easy to use, but it cannot bring as much sustainable firepower as better frigates.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »

The most powerful frigates, at least in 0.62, are Afflictor loaded with Antimatter Blasters or Tempest with two Heavy Blasters.  They were the only frigates that had a chance to solo a defense fleet in 0.62 before CR degraded to meltdown level.  Afflictor can kill anything quickly, but it is weak against fighters.  Tempest with two Heavy Blasters is unforgiving to use, but it wrecks everything.

Monitor is weak against destroyers.  Destroyers are not massive enough for shield ramming to be very effective, and they can withstand much IR pulse laser fire.

Wolf is okay; it is easy to use, but it cannot bring as much sustainable firepower as better frigates.
I feel that I can use the Monitors to maximum advantage as distraction frigates. I have to arm them with AM blasters to ensure that they are not underestimated, but I pilot the Afflictor to ensure they are not overwhelmed (and draw fire to me in the process). Those AMs will overload their shields of those not equipped with phase cloak/skimmers or fortress shield systems. I have to hone myself as an AM dead-eye to take out larger foes with the help of other ships for the sake of minimizing casualties.

Still... my focus for Leadership/Technology renders myself closed out from Combat benefits, especially when speed and firepower is concerned.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »

I would love Antimatter Blasters on my Monitor, but I cannot afford them without sacrificing Augmented Engines and/or enough dissipation to enable shield ramming against capitals.  I tried Antimatter Blasters but no Augmented Engines, but no matter how much I tried, I could not solo a defense fleet with two Monitors because it was not fast enough to disengage from smaller ships and vent safely.  Later, I used Augmented Engines and use IR pulse lasers instead, and I could solo a defense fleet with two Monitors because I had the speed to back off and vent without getting shot at.  Cruisers and capitals died to shield ramming.  Frigates and fighters could be popped with IR pulse lasers and flak cannons.  Destroyers were a problem.  Shield ramming did not break them like bigger ships, and they had too much armor and/or hull for light weapons to destroy quickly.  It took minutes to kill a destroyer.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »

impressive, I suppose...

as someone who doesn't go for the impossible feats on single ships (prefer the fleet command playstyle myself). What's the level ppl generally have to be at to do something like these? Can this be done reliably from lvl 1 (given enough skill)? Or does one have to have enough combat perks to be considered the best pilot in the sector to pull it off?
mmm.... tartiflette
Pages: [1] 2