Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Engines  (Read 1308 times)

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
Engines
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »

Engines are far too flimsy, and they're very, very prone to EMP damage. I have been thwarted too many times by the Buffalo destroyers as they always decide to fire off a couple Salamanders when my PD systems are occupied and I'm about to activate my Burn Drive in an Onslaught to ram something or run away.

I understand that engines are supposed to be complicated things, but then shouldn't they have some other degree of protection then what seems to be paper? Especially for the cap ships. When I was running the mission where you fly a Paragon against 50 million frigates, I got shot once by an Assault Chain-gun, then my engines decided that they were mortally wounded and flamed out. ??? My Paragon then began to spin and my flux levels were too high, so I couldn't shield myself and I got hit by 7 Reapers. I guess you can imagine what happened next. That being said, engines need to take less damage.

It does help that you have the ability that your engines take less damage, though, but it doesn't account for EMP damage. So Buffalo/Salamander missile = death for battleships. (usually) So in closing, you will very often end up with several Atropos torpedoes or whatever being shoved down your throat when your engines fail, which they do, far too often.

So add more hull mods that make them resistant to EMP damage and conventional damage.

...But the explosions are pretty.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:06:41 AM by LunaIsBestPony »
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
Re: Engines
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »

I only just noticed that one line is a suggestion, but I guess that's why it's in the suggestions section. :)
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Engines
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »

There is a known bug with engine health. Fix is coming soon.