Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AI friendlies lowering shields or venting when unnecessary, while in danger  (Read 9169 times)

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

You know, this is *exactly* the sort of thing that'd be very helpful to see and something I could possibly act on - if there's a fight the AI loses/takes a lot of damage in where it really shouldn't. Even if it's something like a 50/50 chance to lose/take major damage, that'd be a good test case to look at and use to improve the AI.

If I can figure out how to make fraps record at lower file sizes, I'll just start recording my entire play sessions and cut out little clips of when it happens that severely, since I intend to keep playing this way.

Well, I just know you're under no obligation here, and you're spending your time to help me, and I really do appreciate that.

My pleasure.

Thanks for your time and responses!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

You know, this is *exactly* the sort of thing that'd be very helpful to see and something I could possibly act on - if there's a fight the AI loses/takes a lot of damage in where it really shouldn't. Even if it's something like a 50/50 chance to lose/take major damage, that'd be a good test case to look at and use to improve the AI.

If I can figure out how to make fraps record at lower file sizes, I'll just start recording my entire play sessions and cut out little clips of when it happens that severely, since I intend to keep playing this way.

That sounds kind of painful :)

From my perspective, the most helpful/easiest to work with thing would be "this ship with this loadout loses vs these X simulation opponents when it should easily win". That's something reasonably fast to look at, and easy-ish to test/tweak against. Now, I might also decide that the "should easily win" requires a strategy that the AI is wholly incapable of pulling off and leave it alone, but... :)

Kipcha

• Ensign
  • CORE
    • View Profile

new one that ive noticed, not sure if its old.

But AI turning around to follow you when youre traveling backwards.

Specific instance;
Telling lashers to follow me as i go backwards because the ai is in front of me (Lasher loadout: Light Autocannons, 3 vulcans, 2 harpoon mrm's)
Lashers will turn around to follow totally exposing their backside and getting spanked for the favour........

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:30:32 AM by Kipcha »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah, AIs don't seem to understand that they can go max speed in a direction without turning to face it. Especially egregious with ships like the Sunder, which has its main armament in forward-facing hardpoints.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

Looking at the third video, would it hurt to have a general rule "don't lower shields when < X% flux and enemies within Y% of their weapons range (where Y > 100), unless you want the zero flux speed boost?"
And maybe something to make them less ready to lower front shields if currently flanked from within full shield arc?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Unusual occurrence happened today, I had an enemy wolf skim 3 times straight towards my onslaught's broadside, and then at point blank range and 90% flux decided that venting was a good idea :-D

I guess the AI was just tired of having his fleets repeatedly melted.

Can't think what the trigger for this odd behaviour might have been; up to that point It'd been the usual slaughter.
Perhaps his fleet composition played a role; I have just started killing Tri-Tachyon in addition to pirates.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:32:43 PM by TJJ »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

Unusual occurrence, but today I had an enemy wolf skim 3 times straight towards my onslaught's broadside, and then at point blank range and 90% flux decided that venting was a good idea :-D

I guess the AI was just tired of having his fleets repeatedly melted.

Can't think what the trigger for this odd behaviour might have been; up to that point I'd been the usual slaughter.
Perhaps his fleet composition played a role; I have just started killing Tri-Tachyon in addition to pirates.
I had this happen with my AI Apogee... He rushed the left side of an Odyssey  (the side with the two autopulse lasers) filled up his flux firing his AMBs and Heavy Blasters then STOPPED and vented right in front of the main guns and didn't move an inch while the main guns melted his face and killed him from full hull and armor
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 [2]