Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Integration of Map and Intel Tabs  (Read 1187 times)

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
Integration of Map and Intel Tabs
« on: October 24, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »

I read in some thread that Alex was a little tweaked already about having more than one map type as well as wanting to be able to access both the hyperspace map and system map from the same area, and someone else suggested map filters. I think that these concepts could be combined pretty well to create an excellent unified map / intel screen. I mean, a map is just a form of intel anyway, why not wrap it all up.

Imagine the map screen with a sidebar like the intel screen containing information and multiple filters for fleets / planets / gates / intel, and a tab for the log. The map would be zoomable and scroll-able like the current map, but would allow the intel data to be seen in one place. Various filters / overlays would be used to determine what data was being seen, and you could go out to the hyperspace level or in to the system level by clicking systems or something. You would only be able to view fleets in the area you're currently in, so either whatever system you're in or in hyperspace, and maybe only view maps of systems you've already visited.

Thoughts?

Seems like a way to add a little functionality, and clean up the interface a bit.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Integration of Map and Intel Tabs
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »

Yeah one map with several overlays/tabs would probably be the most elegant way to solve things down the road.