Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Is storage to market overpowered?  (Read 2870 times)

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Is storage to market overpowered?
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »

I have a theory that there is a way to have both the cargo efficiency of the Atlas and the "smuggling" high-profit play that the Atlas is supposed to be bad at.

Spend $5000 to buy storage space on a barren world that has food shortages.
Use Atlas to quickly and efficiently store massive amounts of food in your storage space (hey, the tooltip says that the food is certified edible for at least 5 years).
Every time the barren world has a food shortage, visit it and take food from your storage space and sell it.

Is that overpowered?  Should this be kept or not?  I mean this might be cool because it might be really really good to promote market stability.  Have a shortage?  Faced with a blockade?  Local warehouse to the rescue!  Because this is like the opposite of a blockade that decreases the world's stability because of a shortage, might fixing the chronic shortage problem this way actually increase the world's stability?

If we are keeping this, then why can't this storage to market transaction be done over FTL comms without you even having to visit the planet or maybe even the star system?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:39:54 PM by Hari Seldon »
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is storage to market overpowered?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »

Trusting someone other than you to ship the goods out of the warehouse sounds like a recipe for disaster. :P

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »

Trusting that the food that you stored in the warehouse will be safe during a food shortage also sounds like a recipe for disaster.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:59:24 PM by Hari Seldon »

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:58:27 PM »

Trusting that the food that you stored in the warehouse will be safe during a food shortage also sounds like a recipe for disaster.

That actually sounds like a neat idea. Storage on unstable worlds can be stolen from, be it commodities or ship weapons. Doubt stealing ships would be viable though.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »

That actually sounds like a neat idea. Storage on unstable worlds can be stolen from, be it commodities or ship weapons. Doubt stealing ships would be viable though.

Not if you store a few Marines in the warehouse.  Just kidding, the Marines are probably put in the freezer since they don't cost supply while in Storage.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:45:19 AM »

If we are keeping this, then why can't this storage to market transaction be done over FTL comms without you even having to visit the planet or maybe even the star system?
Maybe DNA authentication is needed? :D
Storage may be OP, but if it was possible in real world, it would be done for sure. In Starsector you need no fridges to store food nor it doesn't get bad and you can store it indefinitely. Besides, in real life traders don't wait until people are starving to sell them food...
Game-wise though it's... weird and probably less risky than responding to food shortage in real time, thus less exciting. IMO food value should decrease over time, starting when you buy it. That would make food storing useless or at least less profitable.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 03:32:13 AM »

Yeah, not only can you store food stuffs, you can also store marines, crew and ships.

Let's see how they steal from you warehouse when they're staring down the barrel of a Onslaught.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »

I like storage.  Until we can build and/or conquer outposts, this is a much needed convenience feature.

In previous versions, I did not bother attacking Sindarians or other fleets in Askonia because it had no place to repair ships (if Diktat is hostile) and store excess assets.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »

Doubt stealing ships would be viable though.

I also like the idea of returning to your storage on a world/outpost that's been unstable lately to find that the Onslaught you stored has had its armor and weapons stripped. More, logical incentives to care about stability would be welcome.

On topic - I would also like to see high chances of your storage being raided on a planet that is in crisis for commodities that you have stored there, especially.