Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there an independent military market?  (Read 5214 times)

Xenocide52

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Is there an independent military market?
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »

I was wondering if there is a world/station that has an independent military market. I can understand why there might not be one lore wise, but If there is not one then what benefit is there to increasing your standing with independents?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an independent military market?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »

There isn't, and fair point. They'll toll you less if they like you, though.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »

I'm surprised they toll at all - many of the markets they have seem to be basically free trade hubs, almost-lawless areas, or places that are just not quite pirates! :)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »

And yet the pirates have a military market?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »

And yet the pirates have a military market?
The pirates are pretty much all military in the first place, as far as I know. Military and disguising themselves as independents.

Xenocide52

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »

I was thinking something like a Mercenary HQ might be a good candidate for an independent military market. I figure that could be a good lore justification for having the market. If there will not be one in the vanilla game, I may try modding one in.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »

That actually not a bad idea. A Independant station home to mostly mercenaries. Would be kind of cool- especially if we can at some point hire mercenaries.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »

That actually not a bad idea. A Independant station home to mostly mercenaries. Would be kind of cool- especially if we can at some point hire mercenaries.
Or perhaps a mercenary faction recognized as separate from the Independent factions... one whose services are of the highest bidder, no matter who the bidder is... and has the military might and member support to withstand any force from those who decide to cross them. A faction whose neutral relations make others consider to remain on good terms and keep conflicts business-related.

A faction composed of veterans who realize that the foes they face are not absolute enemies, but those marked as such under ideologies and "-ism"s, yet all they know throughout life is to fight and survive in such a dark patch of the universe. A faction that develops its own branch of technology based from a mix of feedback and reverse-engineering.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »

Or perhaps a mercenary faction recognized as separate from the Independent factions... one whose services are of the highest bidder, no matter who the bidder is... and has the military might and member support to withstand any force from those who decide to cross them. A faction whose neutral relations make others consider to remain on good terms and keep conflicts business-related.

A faction composed of veterans who realize that the foes they face are not absolute enemies, but those marked as such under ideologies and "-ism"s, yet all they know throughout life is to fight and survive in such a dark patch of the universe. A faction that develops its own branch of technology based from a mix of feedback and reverse-engineering.

I think ye be laying it on a bit thick, mate.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »

I think ye be laying it on a bit thick, mate.
You never know when patrols and tariffs decide to play you like a fiddle.  ;)