Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet  (Read 17783 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »

I'd love to see some single-ship bounties in the future where the enemy is just one dude in a big heavily customized ship being a menace that must be stopped.

Imagine getting that big fat 250k payoff only if you can manage to defeat some legendary captain of an overclocked paragon.

That was sort of the idea behind the smaller fleet, "skilled combat officer" type of bounty, but it didn't exactly come out right. I'm not sure anyone even notices that the flagship has some skill bonuses, because the flagship generally turns out being terrible anyway :) Something I'll need to look at, for sure.

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »

Will there be opportunities to 'turn' named characters (perhaps even bounties, if you stage their death and get them a fake ID) to your side? Or to bring them in, even, rather than the Wild West 'Wanted: Dead' situation we have now? The astounding intelligence network every faction seems to have that can verify a kill are nice and all, but it feels kind of flat at the moment.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 08:51:23 PM »

Will there be opportunities to 'turn' named characters (perhaps even bounties, if you stage their death and get them a fake ID) to your side? Or to bring them in, even, rather than the Wild West 'Wanted: Dead' situation we have now? The astounding intelligence network every faction seems to have that can verify a kill are nice and all, but it feels kind of flat at the moment.

This is getting off-topic, but the answer is "maybe, maybe not, it depends". This sort of thing can't exist in a vacuum, it needs to tie in with other mechanics. As an example if you "turn" them and they become an officer, that could work, but that requires officer mechanics. Etc.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »

I've also noticed (through the hard way) that the named bounty fleets have flagships and LEVELS! I found this out the hard way through going up against an onslaught who had the field repair skill >.<
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 10:44:01 PM »

@Alex: Care to post any of your late game fleets? I think it would be really interesting to see what the devs ideal fleet is :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »

Oh, it's hardly ideal, but for a while I was using an Onslaught/Eagle/Enforcer/Vigilance/Wolf, all acquired in exactly the reverse order they're listed in. Might've had a few shuttles thrown in as well. I'm a big fan of putting 4 Harpoon racks on the Enforcer, with or without points in missile spec - it really packs a punch! It might be my favorite first destroyer to upgrade to.

As far as the fleet composition, though, it was more about "what works and is available" rather than "what's ideal" :)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 11:14:25 PM »

Oh, it's hardly ideal, but for a while I was using an Onslaught/Eagle/Enforcer/Vigilance/Wolf, all acquired in exactly the reverse order they're listed in. Might've had a few shuttles thrown in as well. I'm a big fan of putting 4 Harpoon racks on the Enforcer, with or without points in missile spec - it really packs a punch! It might be my favorite first destroyer to upgrade to.

As far as the fleet composition, though, it was more about "what works and is available" rather than "what's ideal" :)
Or three harpoon pods on a Dominator!  Those things on enemy Doms are EVIL! Those Missiles LOVE to Massacre you Macross style  when you have very high flux

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 08:18:49 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

I used to have an Onslaught, but it took a pair of Reapers in the face while fighting another Onslaught. And before that, I had a Dominator and a Falcon, but I somehow managed to underestimate the enemy's Harpoon spam twice in a single battle and they both died (I also lost a Heron in that battle, but it was under AI control).

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

I used to have an Onslaught, but it took a pair of Reapers in the face while fighting another Onslaught. And before that, I had a Dominator and a Falcon, but I somehow managed to underestimate the enemy's Harpoon spam twice in a single battle and they both died (I also lost a Heron in that battle, but it was under AI control).
Ah yes, harpoon spam... That has damn near killed me more times than I can count...

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 11:06:35 AM »

Yeah, Harpoons are nasty. I was doing a nice easy fight of a wolf against 3 lashers... vented a little too close and suddenly had 4 Harpoons homing in. Only dodged 1 :P.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »

My .65 fleet!
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Not sure if you could tell, but I'm a fan of pilums  :D
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »

I'm almost level 40 on July 20, 207. I think level progression might be a bit too fast in this release. The XP just pours in.

My fleet is
2 x Falcon
1 x Heron
1 x Enforcer
3 x Sunder
1 x Condor
2 x Wolf
4 x Lasher
4 x Vigilance
1 x Dagger Wing
1 x Broadsword Wing
1 x Talon Wing
3 x Thunder Wing
1 x Mercury Shuttle (For boarding)

I'm sitting on a pretty pile of about a half-million credits and I have no worries about Supplies or Fuel. It's more than a bit OP that my fleet travels at Burn 9. Eh, my fleet is about where I want it. Pick up some more Vigilances and slap more Pilums on them. So many missiles.

How many ships is that... dang, only 19. Definitely need more Vigilances. My Falcons are actually my tanks in this fleet. They only have a pair of Reapers and Hypervelocity Drivers for offense, with the rest of the slots being LR PD Lasers, but they're packing Stabilized and Hardened Shields. Plus they're as fast as frigates, so they get around.

Update: Lost a Falcon, gained an Eagle and some Vigilances and Talons. Ran into a fresh, non-harried Onslaught. Ouch. There was a reason it was a 150K+ reward. Thank goodness for the salvage skill, or I would be down 3 more Vigilances on top of what I did lose.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:14:10 PM by HartLord »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

I used to have an Onslaught, but it took a pair of Reapers in the face while fighting another Onslaught

Exact same thing happened to me earlier today! I'd grown quite attached to that ship :(
Cost me 7 million credits too! (Must remember to invest more cash in commodities!)

It also made me reevaluate my choice of missiles.
Up to that point I'd been using Pilums to harass and slow fleeing enemies.
This meant the design performed suboptimally against enemy onslaughts (it never lost, but wasn't the usual cakewalk)
Switched over to reapers and haven't looked back; the speed boost reaper torpedoes got makes them insanely good against large targets, though I do miss the ability to make speculative long range shots.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:21:05 AM by TJJ »

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »

The fleet:

Spoiler
[close]

The method:

Deploy the weaponless monitor, ISS Bastion. Fortress shield up. Gather all enemies to me and tank them.

Deploy 1-3 medusas depending on size and strength of enemy forces.

Wait for medusas to arrive together. 90% of the time they choose the same target on the periphery of my tanking circle since they deployed simultaneously and begin pelting it with heavy blasters (formerly pulse lasers + antimatter blasters) until it is dead.

Weave around enemies to position them in a line so they won't fire on me if necessary, while staying close enough to keep their attention, and toggle fortress shield on and off to regain flux. This step is unnecessary against forces that don't have multiple cruisers or a capital ship + backup.

Repeat until medusas have picked off each enemy.

Win.

If anything escaped, the tempest chases it down and finishes it with superior speed and extreme prejudice.

If any ship remains intact, the venerable ISS Sudoku shuttles on over for a suicide marine rush, if desired.

This works well. I have even successfully taken on fleets with an onslaught + cruisers and destroyers and more, albeit with significant damage done to the poor, silly AI medusas. I met my match with this setup in the form of a fleet with two onslaughts deployed simultaneously, as my poor monitor could not keep the attention of enough of their combined guns to save stupid medusas from lowering their shields instead of backing off, and getting exploded.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:47:51 PM by j01 »

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »

Most common fleet:
Spoiler

[close]

Stashed away, and potentially unequipped:
1 Eagle
2 Sunder
1 Sunder(D)
1 Enforcer
2 Buffalo
1 Buffalo(D)
2 Buffalo MK2
3 Hermes
1 Shepherd
1 Wolf

The two (D) ships are heavily damaged and don't have any CR. The rest are at 100% hull and armor and 65%-ish CR.

Now that i'm looking at the image closely I wonder why i typed CCF instead of CCS.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4