Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet  (Read 17788 times)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:13:33 AM »

Post your fleet!

Date: Jul 3, Cycle 209

Cash in hand: 3,017,642

Fleet:
  • 1xOnslaught
  • 1xDominator
  • 2xEnforcer
  • 2xMedua
  • 1xHammerhead
  • 1xGemini
  • 1xWolf
  • 4xAssorted fighter/bomber

Turns pirate fleets into smush: Check
Is highly profitable: Check
Most frequently replace vessel: Wolf

On another note regarding 'D' ships:
  • I don't buy defect ships
  • I don't board them either
  • I blow them up on sight

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »

On another note regarding 'D' ships:
  • I blow them up on sight
That is what the D stands for! "Destroy me" or "Destroy on sight"
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »

Very nice. How much fuel per day does that fleet use in Hyperspace?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »

I'll post my fleet in a bit, but thought this might be a nice place to say this:

Has anyone ever fitted a Vigilance Frigate with a Reaper Torpedo Launcher?  That thing is downright deadly when in the hands of the AI - they will hunt down destroyers and cruisers mercilessly and throw 4 or 5 torpedoes down your throat without a second thought.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »

I board some (D) if they are fast enough and I need a freighter.  Hound with degraded engines?  Still faster than destroyers, and can haul stuff in a pinch.  Cerberus or Mule with worse combat stats?  That's okay, engine is still in one piece.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »

I'll post my fleet in a bit, but thought this might be a nice place to say this:

Has anyone ever fitted a Vigilance Frigate with a Reaper Torpedo Launcher?  That thing is downright deadly when in the hands of the AI - they will hunt down destroyers and cruisers mercilessly and throw 4 or 5 torpedoes down your throat without a second thought.

This sounds very, very promising. I'll have to try this tonight.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »

Fleet:
  • 1xOnslaught
  • 1xDominator
  • 2xEnforcer
  • 2xMedua
  • 1xHammerhead
  • 1xGemini
  • 1xWolf

How in pluperfect hell is a fleet that big "highly profitable"? In fact, how is it not just one gigantic neverending money sink?

How are there enough supplies and fuel in the universe to support a fleet that big?

Do you just stay in one system all the time? If so, how do you turn a profit when there aren't any bounties (most of the time)? Do you just wait around at one port or another, speeding up time, waiting for bounties? Is one of the systems capable of producing half enough supplies to keep a fleet that big afloat?

I can't find out how to make it worth having a single cruiser class ship, even just by itself, due to a combination of the expense and lack of availability of supplies and fuel, and lack of constant , decent money source within a single system.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »

I admit to the same bafflement concerning this subject. How is the fleet described above anything more than a collective gang of hangar queens in 0.65a?  ???
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »

Fleet:
  • 1xOnslaught
  • 1xDominator
  • 2xEnforcer
  • 2xMedua
  • 1xHammerhead
  • 1xGemini
  • 1xWolf

How in pluperfect hell is a fleet that big "highly profitable"? In fact, how is it not just one gigantic neverending money sink?

How are there enough supplies and fuel in the universe to support a fleet that big?

Do you just stay in one system all the time? If so, how do you turn a profit when there aren't any bounties (most of the time)? Do you just wait around at one port or another, speeding up time, waiting for bounties? Is one of the systems capable of producing half enough supplies to keep a fleet that big afloat?

I can't find out how to make it worth having a single cruiser class ship, even just by itself, due to a combination of the expense and lack of availability of supplies and fuel, and lack of constant , decent money source within a single system.

Here's how my game went:

Wolf -> Enforcer -> died -> respawned in Lasher
Lasher -> Enforcer -> 2xEnforcer -> 3xEnforcer -> Onslaught + Enforcer -> Onslaught + Atlas -> Onslaught + 2xAtlas -> Onslaught +3xAtlas.

Until I got the Atlas, I was completing bounties exclusively. (well, except for killing a few silly Ludd patrols)
After the Atlas, I did convenient bounties & food famines.

To run big fleets you need places to buy fuel; lots of fuel.
Thus you need to be friendly with the factions that have strategically placed military outposts, as their markets contain almost limitless fuel.

As for combat, a lone Onslaught with the correct set of lvl 10 Combat & Science skills can solo kill every bounty fleet I've come up against (I'm currently lvl 47)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »

well there are a few things needed to make this fleet profitable. First of all as your fleet grows the enemy pirate bounty fleets grow as well, as the enemy pirate fleets grow as does the price on their head.

I'm currently looking at bounties of around 260,000 before additional in-system faction bounties on any enemies. You can easily earn about 350,000 for a single target fleet - this more than covers loss of a few frigates and destroyer etc. that you incur during the fight and need to replace. It also covers fuel, supples, repairs and tarrifs. It still stings when I get pinged by a patrol, but I can absorb that loss as well.

The other thing is to keep on moving from system to system, lawn mowing the profitable bounties. You don't stop to dawdle or take in the sights, you are an industrial scale murder machine - production cannot stop for long. You repair, refuel then head off to another system.

To maintain a high CR for repeated deployments you need to retain highly trained crew, in which case I often use hull/armor/bulkhead mods to reduce loss of well trained crew.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »

well there are a few things needed to make this fleet profitable. First of all as your fleet grows the enemy pirate bounty fleets grow as well, as the enemy pirate fleets grow as does the price on their head.

I'm currently looking at bounties of around 260,000 before additional in-system faction bounties on any enemies. You can easily earn about 350,000 for a single target fleet - this more than covers loss of a few frigates and destroyer etc. that you incur during the fight and need to replace. It also covers fuel, supples, repairs and tarrifs. It still stings when I get pinged by a patrol, but I can absorb that loss as well.

The other thing is to keep on moving from system to system, lawn mowing the profitable bounties. You don't stop to dawdle or take in the sights, you are an industrial scale murder machine - production cannot stop for long. You repair, refuel then head off to another system.

To maintain a high CR for repeated deployments you need to retain highly trained crew, in which case I often use hull/armor/bulkhead mods to reduce loss of well trained crew.

Aren't the bounty fleet sizes tied to your character level?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »

Neither! Bounties for specific pirates (or deserters) go up after you complete some. The amount paid also depends on the stability of the market offering the bounty, higher stability = higher bounty.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »

Neither! Bounties for specific pirates (or deserters) go up after you complete some. The amount paid also depends on the stability of the market offering the bounty, higher stability = higher bounty.

So each time you complete a bounty, the next will be a stronger fleet?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »

Sort of - it takes a couple, and it'll max out eventually.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »

I'd love to see some single-ship bounties in the future where the enemy is just one dude in a big heavily customized ship being a menace that must be stopped.

Imagine getting that big fat 250k payoff only if you can manage to defeat some legendary captain of an overclocked paragon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4