Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet  (Read 17789 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2014, 02:33:02 AM »

One Hyperion might be able to solo that deserter fleet single-handedly, but barely (due to CR timer).  That said, eight Onslaughts is a nice show of force.

It's the quick and easy path for me every time; if a battle takes more than 60 seconds, I've failed ;D

Though it's certainly worth mentioning that, due to the flawed 'dribs & drabs' way the AI deploys ships, large fleets are more challenging to defeat if you yourself have a large fleet.

miljan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »

One Hyperion might be able to solo that deserter fleet single-handedly, but barely (due to CR timer).  That said, eight Onslaughts is a nice show of force.

It's the quick and easy path for me every time; if a battle takes more than 60 seconds, I've failed ;D

Though it's certainly worth mentioning that, due to the flawed 'dribs & drabs' way the AI deploys ships, large fleets are more challenging to defeat if you yourself have a large fleet.

This really needs to be changed. AI should always when fighting a player deploy all his ships, but also cheat a little so he doesnt lose in huge amount CR

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »

This really needs to be changed. AI should always when fighting a player deploy all his ships, but also cheat a little so he doesnt lose in huge amount CR
I cannot really agree with this sentiment. The computer should deploy an appropriate force for each engagement, plus some margin of superiority ideally dependent upon how safe the fleet feels, how much it needs to conserve supplies, faction wealth, faction power, and faction standard response levels. No one in their right mind should be deploying fleets of battleships to engage a handful of light ships that the destroyer screen should be able to deal with. If the screening light ships have trouble dealing with a small group of light ships, that's when the big ships should start coming into play. By the same token, an attack by heavy ships ought to be met by a similarly powerful force of heavy ships and supporting lighter vessels, if available.

It should also ideally depend on how well-known (or leveled) the player happens to be - some level 1 nobody in a frigate attacking a Hegemony System Defense Fleet might only draw a destroyer and a couple of frigates to deal with the nuisance. A level 30 character in a frigate who has a reputation for going after and taking down System Defense Fleets might be worth a much stronger initial response.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]