Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet  (Read 17785 times)

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: My 0.65 RC-1 Fleet
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »

*realizes being still stuck in the early game at Normal+Full, and facepalms in the realization* I'll come back once the needed ships are available to me.  :-X

Elthari

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 04:47:37 AM »

My err.. sort of fleet, yeah.
Late game. Level 39 currently, preying on the Church of Ludd and any of their fleets.
Bounties are fun too.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »

I see a lot of love for some of the high tech ships as solo-combatants, but I haven't found anything better than a Sunder. In this configuration, I can fight just about anything while retaining awesome mobility. It's the same 2x AM cannon and 1x autopulse that people are using on the apogee in a faster, cheaper to operate package.

By activating the high energy focus and firing the AM blasters, you can drop most ships shields in a single blow. If they don't overload, they get close enough that by opening up with a fully charged autopulse you can finish their shields and deal some heavy damage, and usually finish them off if needed with the harpoons. I haven't fought capitals with it yet, but I can take on any cruiser with relative ease by repeating this procedure a couple of times. The Vulcan cannon is hands down my favorite PD in the game, and the coverage provides great defense against missiles and light fighters. Heavier fighters can be addressed with the autopulse.

By picking off fighters, circling around to destroy carriers, and then destroying everything else one at a time by hitting fast and hard, retreating to dump flux, and repeating is great. You can set the ship up like this at a low level, and add extra hull mods and vents as you level up tech (my preferred skill tree).

Spoiler
[close]

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »

I had fun with one of the Sunders in my fleet. I gave it a Tachyon Lance plus Graviton beams and then gave it an ITU and the Optics hull-mod. It has ridiculous range and can solo destroyers and lower even with the AI piloting. The EMP effect with ludicrous range makes it a good support ship.

When I pick up some more Tachyon Lances I'll outfit some more of my Sunders in this manner.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

Here's my current fleet. I think I could fit the fleet screen into 3 or 4 screenshots, but it's much easier to do it this way.

That's 3 Cruisers, 6 Destroyers, 15 Frigates, 22 Strikecraft, 1 Shuttle, and 1 Tug.

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:03:09 AM by HartLord »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 01:51:08 AM »

Ummm
Here's my current fleet. I think I could fit the fleet screen into 3 or 4 screenshots, but it's much easier to do it this way.

That's 3 Cruisers, 6 Destroyers, 15 Frigates, 22 Strikecraft, 1 Shuttle, and 1 Tug.

Spoiler
[close]
Ummm, I THINK you have a ship hoarding problem my friend...
Also, how many Drams do you burn when traveling in hyperspace?
Edit: Also, SPOILER that image please?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 07:07:47 AM »

Ummm, I THINK you have a ship hoarding problem my friend...
Also, how many Drams do you burn when traveling in hyperspace?
Edit: Also, SPOILER that image please?

No, I just play on a large scale. That's why I have so many Vigilances, Pilums scale up really well.

I don't need any Drams, my ships carry plenty of fuel. I burn 77/day or something like that, though, but I travel at burn speed 9. If I did need some Drams it wouldn't be a big deal, I have room to add them in.

Done, but there's other images in this thread that are just as large and not spoilered.

I hope when we get officers we can train them in logistics so we can build even bigger fleets. But as everyone can see, this is why I support faction fleets being really big. If I can have 20-30 ships in a fleet, a faction ought to be able to have thrice that at least.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:48:10 AM by HartLord »

oorek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »

Nothing in the vanilla game beats a player-controlled Medusa with six antimatter blasters. Phase in, shoot blasters, phase out, vent, repeat.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »

I don't need any Drams, my ships carry plenty of fuel. I burn 77/day or something like that, though, but I travel at burn speed 9. If I did need some Drams it wouldn't be a big deal, I have room to add them in.
Interestingly enough, ship range and actual burn speed are independent of one another. The fuel a ship requires to cover a given distance is constant, and so while burn speed affects the rate of fuel consumption, it does not affect ship range. If you were to drop your tug, you'd see your fuel consumption rate change. If you're close enough to a jump point that you don't get the burn speed boost from being in hyperspace, you'll see a different fuel consumption rate than you'll see if you're far enough away from the jump point to get that burn speed boost.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »

Interestingly enough, ship range and actual burn speed are independent of one another. The fuel a ship requires to cover a given distance is constant, and so while burn speed affects the rate of fuel consumption, it does not affect ship range. If you were to drop your tug, you'd see your fuel consumption rate change. If you're close enough to a jump point that you don't get the burn speed boost from being in hyperspace, you'll see a different fuel consumption rate than you'll see if you're far enough away from the jump point to get that burn speed boost.
I believe that fuel consumption rate is based on set speed of 1 lightyear (cannot properly recall the translation to Burn Level). True consumption is rate multiplied by lightyear.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 12:54:18 PM »

@ ahrenjb:  Sunder would be my #2 choice of destroyer flagship after Medusa.  Tachyon lance plus two heavy blasters is a brutally effective combination.  However, Sunder has poor acceleration and weak point defense.  Three Vulcan cannons for point defense are probably as good as it gets, and they can get spent in a hurry.  It is more vulnerable than the Medusa.  Also, the AI seems more incompetent at piloting Sunder than other ships.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »

Fuel use/day = Fleet Total Fuel/LY * (current Burn Speed * 0.1 + 0.4)

So for my fleet (I sold the Enforcer, but otherwise it is the same), I have 40 Fleet Fuel/LY (3*3 + 5*2 + 16*1 + 5) with a speed of 14 in Deep Space, so my Fuel/day comes out to 72. I have confirmed that this is the exact amount of fuel I used in one day of travel.

Blah blah blah.

So what Aeson is saying is that the boost to speed you get in deep hyperspace does not affect how far you travel. If it wasn't there you would go the same distance, it would just take longer.

So it's a lot like time compression in games like Sid Meier's Pirates, but with interesting side effects, like slowing down your pursuers by tricking them into getting too close to a gravity well.

Hyperspace really needs to be fleshed out with lanes that speed you up and areas that slow you down and etcetera.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »

Go big, or go home.  ;D

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 06:41:16 PM »

That's what I call an onslaught of Onslaughts

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »

One Hyperion might be able to solo that deserter fleet single-handedly, but barely (due to CR timer).  That said, eight Onslaughts is a nice show of force.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4