Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: RAGE AGAINST THE PATROL!!!  (Read 24369 times)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
RAGE AGAINST THE PATROL!!!
« on: October 22, 2014, 05:19:32 AM »

Ok, so this is a mini-competition, or maybe little stories/anecdotes about the times you've been given a good shake down by 2 fighters, a frigate and a donut loving patrolman looking to line their pockets.

What I'd also like to see is numbers/screenshots from times you've been hit by these guys.

Anyway I'll start.

So I was leaving Syndria for Corvus with my modestly large fleet, with just basic fuel/supplies for the trip after a successful bounty hunt that netted me around 90,000CR. I was no more than a few clicks out of the Syndria jump point when some little whipper snapper of a fleet popped out of the Sydria jump point at top speed in pursuit.

Aghast that I'd just loaded up on fuel and supplies for the trip...I had a good idea it was going to hurt...

SO anyway, share your stories/vent frustration and anger at how much you've lost to these !@%^ patrols that make our life a misery.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: RAGE AGAINST THE PATROL!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40:58 AM »

My Onslaught hit a green bump in Eos; might have been a patrol.... I didn't bother to ask :)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »

I'M CARRYING FOOD AID TO YOUR PLANET YOU JERKOFF WHY ARE YOU TOLLING ME FOR IT.
Spoiler

[close]
(yeah that's good old Asharu... always on the brink of starvation)

ErKeL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »

I managed to get tolled by 3 different factions, one of them twice while delivering fuel from one system to another.

I assume these guys are riding my ass because I did a lot of trading on the black market so a lot of them aren't keen on me right now.

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »

Yeah, the tolls can get pretty savage. It's frustrating to me that supplies and fuel that you intend to use rather than trade can still count against you. I'm not hopeful that I'll be able to maintain a big fleet in this version. But I guess that's all right; as long as I have my Medusa, I can run rings around just about anything else that isn't a Dominator or Paragon.

Actually, I kind of want the Gorgon back now too. I loved the Gun Runners' variants.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »

Oh man, Gun Runners... that brings me back! The Gorgon was incredibly fun to fly. And also horrifically overpowered :D.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »

Suggestion for Alex: Make fuel and supplies "worth less" in the tolls
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 07:15:28 AM »

Suggestion for Alex: Make fuel and supplies "worth less" in the tolls
and maybe the goods they are in terrible need , too ..
The patrols know what their planet needs . so why not make that cheaper ,too

Even if it is a "legalized" shakedown , they should support the one helping and not hindering them :)

... Next time there might be no one coming for help.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »

I agree that tolls for fuel and supplies makes no sense.  That's like a bridge toll being based on how much fuel you have in your car's gas tank.  Fuel and supplies are tradable goods so they do need to be taxed, but they should only be taxed when you sell them to the market.

Tolls on fleet size make sense.

Tolls on cargo (that is not fuel or supplies) make a bit of sense because that is like an inspection fee.  The more cargo you have the longer the inspection the higher the fee.  But it is far too expensive.  I think it is so expensive right now because if you go straight to the black market to sell legal goods that would avoid tariffs, so the authorities need another way to drain your money so the black market is not OP.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:51:12 AM by Hari Seldon »
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »

I think it is so expensive right now because if you go straight to the black market to sell legal goods that would avoid tariffs, so the authorities need another way to drain your money so the black market is not OP.

I think maybe inspection frequency and severity of fees incurred should be based (more? is it a factor at all right now?) heavily on system stability and smuggling activity.

If a system is more stable than not and there's little or no smuggling being done, these legalized shakedowns should be much, much rarer, and the toll should be absolutely tiny compared to what it is right now.

Legal traders already have to face enormous tariffs, after all.

Hell, maybe there should be a reputation stat that ties your history of legal trading and helping out with shortages in each system with your faction standing, and should count for or against you with this kind of stuff.

"Hey, I scanned your cargo and it all looks good. We usually charge for this kind of thing, but you're a dear friend to the Hegemony, and the books also say you rescued planet A and B from starvation with your onion shipments! My wife lives on planet B! My god, someone give this man a medal."

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »

Uh guys this topic is for posting your biggest inspection tarrifs and stories about them. Me personally I think their cost is fine. The backdrop setting for the game is a grim dark noir future space where there is corruption etc. considering how much money there is to be made in the game, the tarrifs are a bit of a pain if you get caught but they're not game breaking. Just be careful and do your best to avoid them and you'll be making millions in no time.

Also you'll note when you have a good relationship with a faction you are much less likely to be harassed, and they seem to care less if at all if you ignore their inspection patrols chasing you.

If you want really unfair, why not discuss buying an onslaught from the Hegemony and losing 12 points of relationship with tri tach! Buy a good fleet setup and you will lose 36-48 points in a handful of purchases.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:48:48 PM »

If you want really unfair, why not discuss buying an onslaught from the Hegemony and losing 12 points of relationship with tri tach! Buy a good fleet setup and you will lose 36-48 points in a handful of purchases.

(Just FYI: the impact of trade on reputation (per faction) gradually levels off to a lower value, after about 1 million credits' worth of transactions. The reasoning is that while you're new on the scene, stuff you do gets more noticed, but as your actions fall into established patterns, it's becomes less noteworth. "Oh, that guy bought another Onslaught? Well, we're not happy about it, but not as alarmed as when he bought the first 3.")

Ionise

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 06:05:18 PM »

The scan patrols are easy to avoid and carry a really low reputation hit. If you book it for a jump point (where available) you won't even take the rep hit. Def. worth avoiding 3k+ tolls that get leveled at you once you're rocking a decent fleet.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

(Just FYI: the impact of trade on reputation (per faction) gradually levels off to a lower value, after about 1 million credits' worth of transactions. The reasoning is that while you're new on the scene, stuff you do gets more noticed, but as your actions fall into established patterns, it's becomes less noteworth. "Oh, that guy bought another Onslaught? Well, we're not happy about it, but not as alarmed as when he bought the first 3.")

That's good to know, thanks Alex!

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »

The scan patrols are easy to avoid and carry a really low reputation hit. If you book it for a jump point (where available) you won't even take the rep hit. Def. worth avoiding 3k+ tolls that get leveled at you once you're rocking a decent fleet.
I've gone through jump points and gotten the rep hit. In some cases, they chased me all the way to another system.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4