Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Loading Save File Issue  (Read 8133 times)

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Loading Save File Issue
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »

After testing out the save file from ahrenjb: the good news is I managed to reproduce it - loading the save file twice in a row, it hangs on the second load.

The bad (well, sort of) news is that this is simply due to 512mb not being enough to both keep the current game in memory and load the new one; the loading process takes up a big chunk of memory. Raising the memory to 1024 seems to fix it, and looking at a heap dump, I don't see any indications of an actual memory leak, even after repeated reloads.

So, question: has anyone experienced other symptoms of a memory leak, such as the game's performance degrading after an extended play session? The crash-on-load (or simply failure to load), at least right now, looks like "not enough memory allocated" vs "actual leak".

Glad it was of use to you. I haven't yet encountered the issue again, continuing play on the same save. I've noticed no other signs of a memory leak, even when leaving the game open for long periods of time (I'll often play a little, pause during the middle of a battle, and leave it paused for an hour or more while I work between coming back for quick fixes). Will update if something becomes apparent.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »

The bad (well, sort of) news is that this is simply due to 512mb not being enough to both keep the current game in memory and load the new one; the loading process takes up a big chunk of memory.
Hmm, could this be highlighted somewhere ingame for players along with a hint to try quitting to main menu before loading?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 06:21:55 PM »

For that, I'm just going to up the memory allocation from 512 to 1024 :) The other thing to do would be to reduce the size of the save/how much memory it needs to load, but 1024 is still pretty reasonable, and it's the "easy" solution, so.

If there's an actual memory leak, though, which seems possible based on some comments elsewhere on this forum, that still needs looking into.

Phyroks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 04:27:52 AM »

Hi, yeah same issue here. Loading game get really slow, it slows down in the end of loading bar, and when it has been there for a while it crashes loading.

I did notice the flash starting to eat up lot of memory while loading, and it seems you already have all the info you need, but here is the save files and log just in case.
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~tdrive/saveandlog_Phyroks.rar

just vanilla game, no mods. win7.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:31:04 AM by Phyroks »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »

Hi - thanks for posting up the save.

Question: does restarting the game allow you to load the save?

Also, for now, I'd suggest editing the vmparams file to increase memory allocation from 512 to 1024 - that should get around it for now.

Phyroks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »

exiting to menu and/or restarting the game fixes it. Just posted it here as it started to get too annoying (quick load was not all that quick) and hoping to get it fixed faster, will look into the vmparams.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:10:45 PM by Phyroks »

spcgreenman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »

i have the same problem. without mods it happened at level 27 with mods at level 7. for me restarting the game allows me the load the save but exiting to the menu does not.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »

I think I'm also having this problem. I'm only using the mods common radar and the requisite lazylib.

When I load my campaign save, the bar often stops, the music cuts in and out. Than it hangs for a long time when the bar is full, until it tells me to consult a starsector.log file or something.

Where do I find the starsector log file on Mac OS mavericks? I thought it would be in Starsector.app/logs/ but that is empty.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »

I have the same issue. Usually restarting the game to load a safe would help, but now I can't even load on a fresh start. Where is this vmparams file (OS X) so that I can temporarily fix this?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »

On OS X, you want to edit Contents/MacOS/starsector_mac.sh.

Logging is not currently working properly on OS X, btw. For now, the only way to get info from the log is to run the game from terminal (or, iirc, you can click on the game's icon on the dock once it's running and get its console output, but I don't remember the details 100%.)
Pages: 1 [2]