Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Working in Someone Else's Fleet  (Read 2722 times)

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Working in Someone Else's Fleet
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »

I've seen this brought up in another thread or two, casually, but not as the point of the thread, and not discussed in depth.

Personally, I would love to play in a campaign where I can decide to, if I want, only own and manage a single ship, and join some particular fleet where the AI makes the strategic decisions and I can just fly around the battlefield only worrying about controlling my ship and concentrating on my own ace combat maneuvers (ha.).

I love managing all of the combat too, don't get me wrong, but I think it would be really great to have this option if I just wanted to get into the thick of combat and not have to maintain any more ships than my own both in and out of battle.

I already dearly love the fact that you can, currently, put your capship on autopilot and make combat PURELY strategy without taking control. That might even be my favorite feature. Going to the other extreme as well just sounds like a great fit.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Working in Someone Else's Fleet
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »

yeah...no..i dont feel competent and safe with an incompetent ai...my strategic genius is good...besides autopilot with an astral class carrier is a nightmare since it has strong weapons so it will send it into battle automatically...and thats not a battle ship at all

DSMK2

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »

Heh, a thought that might be related to yours bugged me a bit: Currently Starfarer kinda "prefers" you to be in a fleet, so I'm not feeling much of the "independent" part, we'll have to see how Ivaylo and Alex puts it together.

Though it would be fun to, as you've said, fly with a fleet but not control one as a mercenary of sorts, or fly with the fleet to rise up among the ranks of that faction's military hierarchy. If NPC battles lasted more longer, would be great if you could join the fight and turn the tide of battle.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »

You could also take a more standard RPG approach to things as one possibility. The option to be a mercenary and have the Hegemony or Tri-Tachyon hire you to attack the other side would be pretty awesome! I would like to have some faction that I work for, with a goal of trying to control as many star systems as possible! (I am assuming, based on previous posts, that there will be many star systems in the future)
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Beagle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »

I agree this'd be neat, particularly when you're working in small ships like frigates/fighters. It would also provide a way to better yourself if you have a very poor ship with no hope of taking out enemies on your own, by sticking with your allied fleet and working with them.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:14:14 AM »

That would be a fantastic way to begin the campaign (serving in an AI fleet as a single ship) and could also be useful as a "tutorial", since you only have to manage a single ship.