Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Being able to shoot other weapon groups with a key press.  (Read 4051 times)

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Being able to shoot other weapon groups with a key press.
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »

Can you eventually include an option to shoot group 1, group 2, group 3, group 4, and bind them to whatever keys you would like? I've got one of those cool gaming mice and while I can do stuff like bind autofire to mouse4 or whatever it would be even cooler if I could bind my missle group to a seperate key or button.

Another key for mechwarrior style SHOOT ALL MY GUNS AT ONCE would be pretty awesome too.

jareddm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Being able to shoot other weapon groups with a key press.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »

It's not a bad idea, though the problem with having a shoot everything at once button is they all have different firing arcs.  It's not like in mechwarrior where everything is always shooting forward.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »

Yeah that is true, but given the intelligence in the turrets already where the ones on the opposite side or out of firing arcs won't shoot it would still probably be pretty useful if that was still in effect for that key press.

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »

Yeah that is true, but given the intelligence in the turrets already where the ones on the opposite side or out of firing arcs won't shoot it would still probably be pretty useful if that was still in effect for that key press.

I'd like to be able to focus my pulse laser on a target and constantly hammer him in just that right spot and reach over and tap a key to fire off some missiles.  Especially since the default configuration has shift be the same key to strafe as to lock in autofire, pain in the ass to be maneuvering around while switching weapons.

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »

agreed

Kothar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »

I'd like to be able to focus my pulse laser on a target and constantly hammer him in just that right spot and reach over and tap a key to fire off some missiles.  Especially since the default configuration has shift be the same key to strafe as to lock in autofire, pain in the ass to be maneuvering around while switching weapons.

I totally agree with this - I'd love to have a FIRE ZE MISSILES button.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »

Yep, for this reason on any ships I'm piloting I just take all the missles off and use the space for other things. Too difficult to try and switch around weapon groups while strafing and paying attention to shields etc.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »

Did Alex mention why it was we couldn't change weapon groups and the linked-alternate behavior mid battle?

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »

For normal weapons like ballistic, beams, and other rapid fire weapons this isn't going to be used all that much I think. But for weapons like missiles and anti-matter cannons where it's often the case that you need to fire just one shot off at the right time when the enemy ship's about to let down their shields due to high flux, I often find myself scrambling to switch weapons group to fire off just one shot.

At the moment I just pause the game and fire off a volley or two, this feature would alleviate my need to do that.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 09:53:07 PM »

For normal weapons like ballistic, beams, and other rapid fire weapons this isn't going to be used all that much I think. But for weapons like missiles and anti-matter cannons where it's often the case that you need to fire just one shot off at the right time when the enemy ship's about to let down their shields due to high flux, I often find myself scrambling to switch weapons group to fire off just one shot.

At the moment I just pause the game and fire off a volley or two, this feature would alleviate my need to do that.
Well, personally, I'd much prefer to put all of my guns except point defense under my own control. It's pretty cool to be able to shoot anti-shield weaponry only then when shields go down start shooting anti-armor weapons. Especially if you enjoy piloting the giant battleships with tons and tons of guns.

I just had a battle in fact where my kinetic weapons under computer control ran out in a huge scrum because they would just keep firing when the shields were down and there was too much going on to shut them off every time the shields went back down again. I guess I could pause, but it would be a lot more fun imo if I could have just been switching buttons when the shields were up and down.

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile