Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Carrier capacity based on FP of Wing?  (Read 3126 times)

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Carrier capacity based on FP of Wing?
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:32:24 PM »

Hey guys,

I was doing some contemplating.

Would it not be a better/deeper (more immersive)  to have carrier fighter capacity based on the Fleet points of the fighter wing?

For example, a carrier would have a flight  deck with the capacity of say 4 FP which could support two interceptor wings OR 1 bomber wing...

This would reduce the ridiculousness of huge corvettes from peoples mods coming from small carriers, and open up the possibility of micro-carriers only able to service a wing of tiny interceptors.

I know it would change  the mechanics of the game a bunch, but it might be an interesting suggestion for Alex...

Sorry if someone already covered this ground long  before me, but let me know what you guys think
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Carrier capacity based on FP of Wing?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »

Sounds like you should write more and post it on Suggestions. Well, it's true that seeing massive corvettes coming out of flight decks are kinda silly tho' but... if you're saying one flight deck able to refit 3 wings, don't you think that's quite unbalanced at some point? Look at Tritachyon's Fleet Carrier for example. Look at how many decks do she have.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »

ORMtnMan, im not 100% sure i understand your idea, but to me it sounds like you would like some sort of ranking or tiering that governs not only how many fighter wings a carrier can support, but the technological sophistication of the carrier itself should be a limit to the tech of the fighters themselves?

Some other games i've played over the years make use of a so-called 'casual carriers' concept where some carriers are barely able to operate a launch bay at all, so the kinds of fighters they can service and repair is often limited to cheap-crap spam interceptors. Other 'non-purpose-built' carriers (i.e., not built from the keel up as a fully functional carrier) may operate the Talon or Wasp kind of throw-away fighters Starsector has, but also some other type of better fighters that are more tactically useful. I rather like that sort of carrier differentiation.

Or are you wanting this differentiation to have a hard cap instead of a soft cap on the quantity and tech level of the fighter wings?

Anyhow, yours is an intersting idea, even if the devs choose not to implement it. Please expand upon your proposal; thx.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »

Sounds like you should write more and post it on Suggestions. Well, it's true that seeing massive corvettes coming out of flight decks are kinda silly tho' but... if you're saying one flight deck able to refit 3 wings, don't you think that's quite unbalanced at some point? Look at Tritachyon's Fleet Carrier for example. Look at how many decks do she have.

Ryxsen,

What is more unbalanced, 1 flight deck able to service one fighter wing regardless of the size/power/awesomeness of said wing. Or, a flight deck with a FP capacity number so you could possible have 3 fighter wings coming from a ship, but they's all be Talons or something.

The FP differences between fighter wings is not that spread out. So for instance a Condor could have a capacity of 8, so it could support a single warthog wing, or 2 Talon wings. not horribly unbalancing. It would just take more consideration to carrier balancing.

You could have a frigate sized carrier with only a 3 capacity so it could only support a Talon wing... something to think about... I may post this over in the suggestion thread...

C plus one,

It would be more difficult (and possibly beyond the scope of this) to insert a tech level factor into this. At this point only guns (so far as I know) have rarity  or tech levels.

The more attainable goal is to use the Logistic points (or fleet points, Deployment points, whatever you call them).

this could even open it up to a hull mod that increases fighter capacity.

EDIT: Alright made a suggestion thread
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8290.0
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:37:13 PM by ORMtnMan »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »

Mtn Man I disagree with this concept. It would add complexity for the sake of it rather than being meaningful. If you want less replacement fighters, adjust the CR to deploy stat.

Corvettes are a mod invention, they do not exist in vanilla. I think that the "corvette" designation should not be a fighter wing but instead a tiny frigate, massive strikecraft should be called gunships. Behold my reasoning ;)

Spoiler
Frigate

Corvette

Gunship
[close]

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »

Mtn Man I disagree with this concept. It would add complexity for the sake of it rather than being meaningful. If you want less replacement fighters, adjust the CR to deploy stat.

Corvettes are a mod invention, they do not exist in vanilla. I think that the "corvette" designation should not be a fighter wing but instead a tiny frigate, massive strikecraft should be called gunships. Behold my reasoning ;)

Regardless of mod invention or not, Corvettes are here and they are treated as huge fighters.

My suggestion is not about replacement fighters. That should remain unchanged. What I am proposing is a change to how many wings a carrier can provide support to. As in 1 Condor has 1 flight deck. so only 1 wing of fighters is supported regardless of size or replacements. My suggestion would change it so that 1 Talon wing does not take up the same space as 1 Warthog wing in a carrier...

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »

I don't know who said that corvettes are considered fighters in mods, I see them treated as both fighters and frigates. And according to real life conventions, that is really awkward to call a strikecraft a corvette.

Also, fighters are not carried inside a carrier. They have small autofactories that make more hulls on demand, hence the differing amounts of resupply chassis available.

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 06:45:44 PM »

Game wise they have the fighter hull size and use flight decks like any other fighter... That is just how some of the modders made them.

I think you are missing the point here. It is not about if the fighters are inside or not, or if the ships are replaced any number of times... A talon costs 4 CR to deploy while a warthog takes 6 CR... there is not a huge difference in the long run on how many fighters get to deploy.

Example:

100CR (for the sake of easy calculations) you get a total of 25 Talons before you run out or you get about 16 Warthogs. The difference in power between the two fairly great.

Regardless, this is not what my suggestion is about. IT has nothing to do with CR or how many resupplies it has.

I am talking full wings with all their notrmal deployments.

Right now I am saying 1 fighter deck can support 1 talon wing that has 25 replacements, and has a 3 logistic point rating. That same fighter deck can support a warthog wing with 16 replacements at 8 logistic points.

I am saying instead of 1 flight deck to 1 wing have it have a logistic points capacity so 8 points of capacity could support the 1 warthog wing OR 2 FULL wings of Talons...

Does this make sense? I think you were taking my idea in a different direction.

EDIT: I do concede that this would be a huge change and I add a lot (of possibly not needed) complexity. I just love complex games... with loads of managements and details... maybe some other people do as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:52:09 PM by ORMtnMan »

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »

On a few game i played, these *mod corvette* would more be considered as F.A.C. Fast Attack Craft or some other time called F.A.B. for boat instead of craft depending if it was sea or space based game, on sea game they were also called patrol boat, wich is between fighter and corvette in numerous space lore i played.

F.A.C. are often about 20-50% bigger than bomber wich result to be about 40ish% smaller than corvette. For me and the experience i had in these game corvette was about 70-80% the size of a frigate wich is basicly impossble for frigate to accomodate but as the FAC is 40% than corvette it could fit is there is only one + spare parts for repairs.