Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Do you prefer fighting or helping the Crystanite?

Helping; the trinkets haven't done anything wrong!
- 15 (37.5%)
Depends; what pays more at the moment?
- 19 (47.5%)
Fighting; those xeno should be crushed like the glass they are!
- 6 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: The Crystanite (Version 1.10b Hotfix) [0.8.1a compatible]  (Read 146197 times)

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Crystanite (Version 1.31) [0.65.2 compatible]
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »

This might work as a form of flares on their (currently) systemless ships, or the ones where the systems need to be changed. I will check how well it works.
I *think* the AI for flares will only activate if there's missiles fired at them. A somewhat messy way around this is to make a weapon with destructible, slow-traveling projectile(s). Ships can have them mounted forwards as extra defense (Like the Pin, than one asplodes if anything with decent firepower gets close to it); while the larger ones can have them on large arcs and fire them in groups.

Armor repair would probably be really tricky so i do not think i can add that. Minelayers would be easy to make, but very hard for the AI to use. I could probably make some form of "close support area denial" drones, but other than that i do not know how. Will definitely keep this in mind though.
The big weakness of the Crystanite is that armor can't regenerate, compared to shields which can erase damage done in a few seconds. So the best way to win is to get right up in their face where your potent weapon package, low flux costs, and superior maneuverability gives you the advantage.

The problem is that a lot of the larger ships are slower and their weapons are limited to medium range, so they can't really control the pace of combat. Their frigates are fast, but tend to fly far ahead and get blown up easily, leaving the larger ships sitting ducks.

So I'm hoping the support systems will either:
1. Coerce enemies to close in.
2. Apply pressure to enemies that are attempting to flee to vent flux.
3. Limit what sections of the battlefield that enemies can flee to.

The Mercury will get regenerating ammo in the next patch. I am worried that a shield-destroying Reaper Torpedo will be too much for a bomber. Also, a beam weapon would need to have pretty ridiculous damage for it to work as an anti-shield weapon.
Well, as long as it gets something. The mercury projectile can ignore most bullets, but tends to get absorbed by striking a missile, wasting it.

For a mercury beam weapon, they could get a burst beam. A long charge up time dealing 1250 kinetic damage per second over 5 seconds. Still very potent, at a cost of forcing you to stay on target and expose yourself.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2015, 12:28:13 AM »

Now that you say it, there IS a type of support ship the Crystanite lack; long range support. The Soldier has decent anti-shield missiles at long range, but when faced with venting ships it is about as efficient as killing a Payback with Needlers (completely possible, by the way. It is just very time-consuming.) I might look into adding the "equivalent" of the Tachyon Lance, as the current Maledict-class beam is way to short-ranged.

You are right about the flare AI. It activates for missiles and missiles only. Your solution (while not elegant) could probably work. Since missiles have a set "AI-range" at which they will be used, and can have "DO_NOT_AIM" added as AI-tag, it should be possible to make a form of weapon acting the way you specified. I, however, would prefer to launch a larger amount of smaller missiles, as they would otherwise get blown up by pretty much any missile fired at them.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2015, 08:41:10 AM »

New update!

The Crystanite 1.4: Newfound Crystal

I finally got of my ass and did it. The entire faction has been rebalanced, and every single ship (excluding the Grower) has a ship system. The curse beam fires in bursts, and then there's this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1r2NajDTfU

Full changelog below. Download should be up in a sec.

Code
Version 1.4: Newfound Crystal
Additions:
*Major rework of the entire faction
*The Haystack now has a ship system which increases energy damage at the cost of beam accuracy.
*Added the Lumen class, a vessel which can deal incredible damage at extreme range, but has a very long charge-up time
*The Active Armor system has been added, it halves damage taken by generating hard flux.
*All ships (except the Grower) now has a ship system. Most of the old systemless ships now use the Active Armor system.
*Sevaral new hullmods have been added for the Crystanite, including a shield generator and an energy-efficiency module.
Balancing:
*Crystanite Armor Hullmod now increases kinetic damage taken and decreases hihg-explosive damage taken. They still deal less/more damage to armor, but the difference is not as obvious.
*Most ships received a major rework of their armor and hull
*The Heavy Shard Launcher now has regenerating ammo, it regenerates 0.02 ammo per second (that means a 50-second reload).
*Curse Beams now fire in 4-shot bursts, with slightly changed stats to match.
*All Crystanite ships now has peak CR time, in accordance with the latest patch. They can typically stay in combat slightly longer than vanilla ships.
Removed Features:
*Removed the Oddity-Class, it simply had no purpose in the mod

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »

I love the way it eats the PD beams near the end. You were taunting the poor thing. Need to try out this rebalance.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
Re: The Crystanite (Version 1.4) [0.65.2 compatible]
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »

Aaaand i just realized i had my microphone on during the entire recording. Great.

spartan117pr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2015, 08:36:25 PM »

Hey Nick nice to see you work on this mod. Decided to add it to the long list of mods I use since you just updated it, and it's nice to see built in weapons since throwing on other weapons from the game would kind of break the aesthetic.  Problem though, I was flying around for a while using a Pin class frigate and a Cargo drone wing just fine, but then I bought a Traveler class scout frigate and now I crash with an exception every time I try to start a fight.  I can see the error in the box when I crash and if I'm reading it correctly, which I am probably not lol (I'm no programmer), it seems to crash from a ship AI error.  Never posted an error log but can probably figure it out if it would help you out.  Never had crashes with the slew of mods I've been using so pretty positive its from this mod.  Just thought I would point it out.  Cheers

edit: forgot to mention the built in lasers on the Traveler class seem to be broken, the targeting of them
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:22:05 PM by spartan117pr »

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2015, 06:45:12 AM »

Wait... the Traveler class has no lasers... Anyhow.

The error log is located in the installation folder of starsector. For example:

E:\Starsector

Go into the starsector-core. In there, there should be a file named starsector.log, or a text file just named starsector. Open it and scroll to the bottom. You should find something like this:
Spoiler
25828 [Thread-10] ERROR com.fs.graphics.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - Error loading [graphics/crys/weapons/crys_heavy_wave_cannon.png] resource, not found in [E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\LazyLib,E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Crystanite,E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\ShaderLib,../starfarer.res/res,CLASSPATH]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading [graphics/crys/weapons/crys_heavy_wave_cannon.png] resource, not found in [E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\LazyLib,E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Crystanite,E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\ShaderLib,../starfarer.res/res,CLASSPATH]
   at com.fs.util.Object.Object(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.util.Object.Ô00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.String(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
25828 [Thread-10] ERROR com.fs.graphics.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - Error loading [graphics/crys/missiles/crys_wave.png] resource, not found in [E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\LazyLib,E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Crystanite,E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\ShaderLib,../starfarer.res/res,CLASSPATH]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading [graphics/crys/missiles/crys_wave.png] resource, not found in [E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\LazyLib,E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Crystanite,E:\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\ShaderLib,../starfarer.res/res,CLASSPATH]
   at com.fs.util.Object.Object(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.util.Object.Ô00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.String(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.o0oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

Thats the error log. Posting it would be a great help.

EDIT: I seem to get a large amount of wierd errors myself. I do not know how this started happening, but once it happens the first time, it automatically crashes on each subsequent startup... Will have to ask for help on this one.

EDIT PS: About the lasers: they are not broken, simply the display of them. Once they start firing they will return to normal. However, their accuracy is pathetic. Oh, and they are called White Dwarf Cannons.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:01:47 AM by Nicke535 »

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »

I would like to see some alien races invading edge star systems of the starsector galaxy(sector), and your faction is a very good example!
Would be nice to fight some mysterious aliens from time to time and gather some cool tech/weapons from the fights. But i don't like to play an alien faction in starsector at all, only to fight against as some thread from the outer realms with some nice loot and tough fights.

Nonetheless awesome work so far Nicke535!

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2015, 07:19:32 AM »

Hotfix: I have purged any and all flying pixels to the point of no return.

I would like to see some alien races invading edge star systems of the starsector galaxy(sector), and your faction is a very good example!
Would be nice to fight some mysterious aliens from time to time and gather some cool tech/weapons from the fights. But i don't like to play an alien faction in starsector at all, only to fight against as some thread from the outer realms with some nice loot and tough fights.

Thats the wonders of Starsector; you can pick sides. Believe me, if you want to destroy Crystanite main fleets, you are going to need some serious firepower. And if you ever feel like taking the side of the peace loving, murderous aliens then thats fine, too.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
Re: The Crystanite (Version 1.4 Hotfix) [0.65.2 compatible]
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2015, 08:13:23 AM »

Another hotfix; all "AI" crashes should now be fixed. Also replaced some placeholder icons with the real ones.

You have to re-download the mod for it to work.

spartan117pr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »

Nice job Nick, been playing for a bit and no crashes so far. I'll post a log if it crashes again. Having fun trying this faction out.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2015, 10:06:39 AM »

Nice job Nick, been playing for a bit and no crashes so far. I'll post a log if it crashes again. Having fun trying this faction out.

spartan117pr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2015, 01:20:45 AM »

Hey Nick just thought I would give some feedback since I have been doing a playthrough as the Crystanite since your last update.  The aesthetic works really well with this faction, having built in weaponry was a must since it would be really strange to throw on weapons from other factions on a ship made of crystal.  Overall this faction is definitely above average compared to most factions but I think considering they are very alien looking crystal entities it fits that they are strong.  I definitely wouldn't say they are Knights Templar op though since ships which favor large batteries can decimate them. They seem to be a great counter to factions that rely heavily on super missile spam.  The pin classes are a great ship, very strong early game but become squishy and replaceable later on.  The carrier, destroyers, and cruisers I have used are very solid.  I would say where this faction's strength really lies is its destroyers and cruisers.  Frigates become very squishy and capitals can dish out a lot of punishment but can get taken down quite easily to focus fire, whereas a large mass of crystanite destroyers and some cruisers are incredibly strong.  I played with a thor for quite a while and it was good fun.  I like the whole "glass cannon" approach to it. Only thing with the Thor that would be a decent buff would be its brakes, I like the fact that it is really sluggish to turn and maneuver but when it gets going it is almost impossible to stop lol.  Just started using the Rebirth class Arkship which is a beast. I am not a professional when it comes to balancing but I would say maybe the early game is a bit too easy as crystanite due to just how strong the frigates are to other frigates, and how cheap it is to maintain them.  Now down to the 2 things that are really killing fun for me with this faction unfortunately.  First and foremost is the AI.  I know the AI is less than perfect in the vanilla game so it bleeds through to mods but holy god the AI can be so stupid sometimes on crystanite it kills me.  It seems like the AI doesn't understand the dimensions of the ships and will just plow right into other crystanite ships more often then I would like.  The AI problem becomes really apparent when piloting a capital ship.  I have had to reload quite a few times from destroyers just running right into my backside when I am barely moving as a Thor or Arkship.  The other thing that kind of ruins it for me is the fact that when playing as the Capitals you can die to just tiny asteroids and derelict fighters that are barely moving.  I would assume this has to do with how crystanite armor works and it really causes problems. Just a couple downed fighters can become a death sentence for a crystanite capital ship.  Now on this one I don't know if that is what you intended, but if so it just seems really annoying to have to watch so hard for downed fighters because they will one shot you.  Don't get me wrong though, even with these 2 problems I am still having a lot of fun with the Crystanite and feel like they are a valuable faction to add to my list of mods. Cheers

TLDR version: Strong faction, has counters, couple annoying problems, overall very much like  ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:25:18 AM by spartan117pr »

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2015, 04:21:27 AM »

*Way to long to quote*

Thanks for the feedback. I cannot do anything about the collision detection, i actually do not know what causes that.

As for the ships exploding from driving into fighters, it was all my bad. I did a total mental flop. Here's what happens;

Crystanite ships have insane mass for their size, meaning they impact other ships with much more force. However, because of Newtons third law, this means that other ships impact them with much more force, too. I simply did not think about that.

Will perhaps put up a hotfix for that problem.

spartan117pr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »

Nice, ya now that I am using the Arkship I am seeing how big a problem it is.  Just had a tiny disabled drone come flying off screen and one shot my huge Arkship through 100% life and 100% armor.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13