Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Do you prefer fighting or helping the Crystanite?

Helping; the trinkets haven't done anything wrong!
- 15 (37.5%)
Depends; what pays more at the moment?
- 19 (47.5%)
Fighting; those xeno should be crushed like the glass they are!
- 6 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: The Crystanite (Version 1.10b Hotfix) [0.8.1a compatible]  (Read 146216 times)

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
Re: The Crystanite (0.62)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 11:56:56 AM »

Pictures are now up again. I changed to photobucket.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »

Feed back:
Changing the colors wasn't a good idea imo, you turned the faction into a color parade that is really disturbing to the eye, the originals had much gentler colors and shades.

Having the same ship come in three colors is redundant. This is a specialized type of faction where quality should have more focus over quantity. Just like Exygency or Knights templar.
 Slapping vanilla weapons on them was also weird, blue crystal ships shooting red lasers? Yeah right.
 You should just create spriteless, built in, hidden weapons just for them, as any visible weapon would look strange. The cactus cannons are an example, not only are they too clean compared to the ships but they should be hidden to seem the shots are charging from the ships themselves.
 Preferable towards the tips of the crystals for simplicity and elegance.

The engines are weird, looks like you didn't know what to do with them, they look like tiny needles barely popping out random places of the ships, either make few, more visible trails or try something else entirely. Perhaps a central glow that intensifies according to speed?

The bounds look like they might be too exact and detailed, I could hit asteroids pin point precision with the tip of a crystal. Might wanna change that as SS can have problems with too detailed collision bounds.

That's it, peace.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »

The bounds look like they might be too exact and detailed, I could hit asteroids pin point precision with the tip of a crystal. Might wanna change that as SS can have problems with too detailed collision bounds.

I only looked at two ships, the big one is mostly fine though it could likely lose one or two. That smaller ship though, yea I would recommend removing a large number of them :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 05:24:14 AM »

I agree with Sabaton, you could stand to cut some corners (literally  :D) on that ship. Doing lone spikes is fine, but bundling those close clusters of spikes together may help you lose some bounds. Which is better for performance.

Example:
Spoiler
[close]

You get the idea. Though I'm not sure on the exact size of this ship. If it is really huge, then those spikes should probably have individual bounds.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 05:49:10 AM »

Feed back:
Changing the colors wasn't a good idea imo, you turned the faction into a color parade that is really disturbing to the eye, the originals had much gentler colors and shades.

Having the same ship come in three colors is redundant. This is a specialized type of faction where quality should have more focus over quantity. Just like Exygency or Knights templar.
 Slapping vanilla weapons on them was also weird, blue crystal ships shooting red lasers? Yeah right.
 You should just create spriteless, built in, hidden weapons just for them, as any visible weapon would look strange. The cactus cannons are an example, not only are they too clean compared to the ships but they should be hidden to seem the shots are charging from the ships themselves.

The engines are weird, looks like you didn't know what to do with them, they look like tiny needles barely popping out random places of the ships, either make few, more visible trails or try something else entirely. Perhaps a central glow that intensifies according to speed?

That's it, peace.

First of all, thanks! I really needed some feedback to see what has to be done, as i haven't done anything of this scale before. Now, lets think about it more in detail.

You are quite right about that. I used some sort of overlay in photoshop as a placeholder more or less, just to see how it looks. I am thinking of still having two different colors, the "blue" original one, and another one (most likely the green, it turned out better than the red). This is to donate the important difference between "mainstream" ships and "ancient" ones.

Yet again, spot on the money. I use vanilla weapons as placeholders, until i come up with a good assortment of weaponry (beams? plasma? TWO beams?). I also despise the cactus cannons, due to their "glossiness". I made them by copy-pasting crystal over the Mark IX Autocannon, and thus the quality is to be questioned. Built-in weapons could be a good idea, but first i have to come up with some.

Perhaps a central glow that intensifies according to speed?
That... is actually a good idea. Though a complete lack of engines would probably work too

And yeah. I probably should fix the bounds.

So, to summerize: i am most likely reworking the entire race in the next version (0.5a! And this from an idea i got when i couldnt sleep!)

Thank you for all your feedback. It means a lot to me.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »

Pictures are now up again. I changed to photobucket.

Try imgur, it's much simpler and doesnt require you to sign up.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »

I agree with Sabaton, you could stand to cut some corners (literally  :D) on that ship. Doing lone spikes is fine, but bundling those close clusters of spikes together may help you lose some bounds. Which is better for performance.

Example:
Spoiler
[close]

You get the idea. Though I'm not sure on the exact size of this ship. If it is really huge, then those spikes should probably have individual bounds.

That's gonna give some ugly ghost hits, you only skimp on bound points if it means the bounds are buried inside the sprite.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »

Complete overhaul! Check the changelog for more details!

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 04:33:48 AM »

That's gonna give some ugly ghost hits, you only skimp on bound points if it means the bounds are buried inside the sprite.

Wouldn't be as bad if it were a small ship (frigate or smaller), but apparently that ship is rather big and yes that would give ugly ghost hits.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 09:37:28 AM »

Now fixed for 0.65! Though it still does not have campaign integration... what should i do first? Campaign integration or more ships?

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
Re: The Crystanite (0.65 compatible!)
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:01 AM »

New ship: the Payback-Class Battlecruiser!

Image:
Spoiler
[close]

The Payback-class was the first vessel to be built after the day of judgement, it earned its name when it took out two Onslaught-class Capital Ships on its own.

This ship is the epitomy of Crystanite engineering, it fields no less than 2 Maledict-class Beams, 10 Curse Beams and 12 Discomfort Beams. This behemoth is known to take on almost any capital ship and remain practically unsceathed. Its mass is so large that many frigates simply turn into dust when rammed (be careful of friendly fire, Pin-class frigates have a tendency of impaling themselves on this ship).

Please note that the Harpoon MRM's are placeholders (working on some sort of "shard missiles")

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »

I see what you did there, and I gotta say it's kinda lazy. Don't feel pressured to add stuff too early, get used to modding, spriting, coding, etc.
 Let it come natural, then you'll deliver a blast.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 04:41:59 AM »

Major update! The "Lore Update" is now up and running!

The descriptions for the ships, weapons and systems are now finished (no more descriptionless stuff!)

Added the Shard Swarm system, and the Shard Swarm weapon, installed on the Hive-class and the Payback-class respectively.

Removed all placeholder weapons and sounds.

Changed the sounds for shields and flux venting, though i'm not that happy with the flux sounds

Any suggestions on what to add next are welcome :)

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 01:07:09 PM »

Major update! I finally managed to get it working in the campaign! Now to add some more civilian ships...

Version 0.8:
*Campaign integration! Portraits and some ships are placeholders, but otherwise fully implemented! Thanks to Kazi for the code!
*The Crystanite have no need for most organical products, but they are very few in numbers.
*Reworked the scripts into a jar file, easier that way. (the "src" folder is included)
*Moved to the "Mods" page (though this is not really an update)
*Most likely other things i forgot...

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Crystanite (Campaign integrated!) [0.65.1 compatible]
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »

Are you sure that download link is correct? It does lead to a dropbox page, but not to a download page, and this sounds kinda neat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13