Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bravo Alex and Team!  (Read 2613 times)

Daliaraptor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Bravo Alex and Team!
« on: October 08, 2014, 02:45:30 AM »

Hello all!

Ive found starsector after a disapointing pledge on a scifi game. My keysearch was "controlling a battleship" + "crewmanagemnet".
This didnt brong me to starsector right away but after an hour or two i finaly found this name "Starsector". (Its verry hard to find this pearl)
I was sceptic about the videos. Lots of colours and many chaotic flying spaceships. I thought about WoW in space.
But i decided to buy it. Just 9 Dollars... Nothing much to loose anyway. And im happy ive done it, so hard :) (Thanks for the scroller fleetsize ;)
Let me say BRAVO Alex. This game in its early state is so much fun and has allready much depth to experiment with. I really like it as it is.
But unfortuantly, and as allways when i play a sadisfying game. My brain gets to think about what could make it even better. Especially
when its a game like starsector, which would be the sort of game i wished to make by my self. But im not a programmer.
Anyway! This game is matching my expectations in many ways, its not much i could say what could be better. Its more likly what could be go further :)

Here the things which i would like to see. Im not sure if some stuff isnt even possible to make for such a small team:
1. I like the lovely details allready in! How badass would it be, when the ships really have a hull and are hollow or even better a structure with corridors and rooms. Where big guns can breach holes in it. And if this happens, the oxigen is blowing out in the space, interior stuff, crew. All sucked out until the ship system seals that specific section to prevent internal structure integrity ;) The ships can break apart, implode or whatever. This is only eyecandy for the love of details ;)
2. I like the way the weapons work. Its kinde of fun arcadish gamplay, but with a hang to do the right thing in the right time. I would love to have a ships computer, where i can set some weapons (not all) to aim for specific targets, areas. Such as PD defense turrets, engine, bridge etc. those weapons ar specificly made for this.
they are not useful to break throgh the hull. In a attack i can tell the weaponsystem, which area (PD, Artellery, Missile, or Ship system) should be attacked.
This would bring some more deeph to a battle. (See Nexus as an comparison)
3. And this is may the most consuming part, dvelopment vise :) When the ships has a structure inside. How great would it be to have crew really running inside the ship and do stuff. Im not talking to controll those crew directly. More give them some commands, like repairing hull or engine. Go to man the artillery.
this will cost a amount of time when those little fellas run to each section (More deeph and tacticaly desissions). And like this you realy have a feeling for you ship and its crew. No micromanagement! its more commanding a anthill and whach it, if needed.
4. Boarding an enemy ship. Its in but nothing realy happens. When the boarding starts, then the camera goes on top of this two ships. You can see the ongoing boarding of the crew (Bird view ala men of war style but automatically and more spartanic). A litle bit of PEW PEW and they have to reach the bridge. this also is just soemthing like a simulation. you cant intervene or may just rethreat if things go wrong. The programm calculate the chance of a victory in terms of size of boarding soldiers and the enemy ships crew, weapons and experience. The graphics dont have to be AAA like as its not the goal of starsector anyway. more liekly some low to middle poligon soldiers in corridors, which shoot at each other. Hoppefully you can see the picture i have ;)

But anyway. I like this project already so much! And thats the reason i had to write this...
All the best...

PS: I think the price for this Game is too low for what it is allready and gives a wrong impression about the quality it has...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:13:53 AM by Daliaraptor »

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Bravo Alex and Team!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »

These are all interesting ideas in a vacuum... that would probably pan out very badly and require a looooooooooooooooong dev cycle each to even reach workable stages of implementation. Sadly.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:26:06 AM »

Welcome to the forum! I think 1,2, and 4 are workable, even though they would take a bunch of effort - I'd probably not want them right away as Alex is still working on lots of the core features. I think 3 is a little too complicated for now.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »

Hi! Thanks for dropping by, happy to hear you're having fun with the game :)

About the ideas, hmm. I find it hard to see how things like this, while cool-sounding, would actually fit into the flow of the game as it is now. If you think about a game that already does those things (e.g. FTL), that's a game that focuses solely on that and doesn't let you pilot your own ship, let alone command a fleet. Trying to cram too many things into a game is dangerous.

As far as future development, what you can expect is more campaign-level features. Combat... well, it's not 100% done, exactly, but it's pretty close. I'd expect any changes to it to be tweaks and refinements (likely driven by campaign changes), not wholesale addition of features.

Daliaraptor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »

Hey Alex and Thaago and Cycerin

Thanks for your statements
@Alex. I know FTL. But this is to much and only shipmanagement for me. And i do belive that this wouldnt fit in your project.
Im sure you do what you can. And what i see, is pready amazing.... and addicting :)

Just go ahead. I spreed the word for starsector... Good luck

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »

You may want to check The Mandate or Wayward Terran Frontier.
Those seems to fit your description.

Daliaraptor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:58:19 AM »

@Tartiflette  Hello!

Wow! I knew about The Mandate. I allready pledged it.
But i didnt knew about Wayward Terran Frontier. Looks damn like the stuff i have writen.

Its a beautifull time to be a Sci fi fan. Isnt it ;)
I remember the old times. I loved those games. But unfortiantly the gameindustry was thinking its a dead genere. They where so wrong :)
Thanks for the info !

Greatings