Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Marenos Crisis (complete: 2015-01-31)  (Read 51286 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Marenos Crisis (ch.16: 2015-01-184)
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »

NO!!!!! It's even worse than before! Damn you CLIFFHANGERS!!!!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »

*ends on a cliffhanger*
I hate you...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »

Readers are a fickle bunch.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 05:50:42 AM »

Anyone else having problems with forgetting that Artemis's right arm is in a sling? I remembered right up until the part where she expresses her frustration by shoving both her hands in her pockets. Yeah. (and it'd look really silly if done on only one side, too.) Fixed now.

Also added another scene to the chapter (it's the second one now) because I forgot it had to be there.

*ends on a cliffhanger*
I hate you...
Huh. Considering that'd I'd already ended at least three chapters before this (5, 10, 13) with cliffhangers, so I figured you guys would be used to it by now. In fact, I was worried it was starting to become cliche  ::)

Dirty little secret:
Spoiler
I actually had chapter 17 already fully written at the time I posted 16, but I didn't have time to proofread and format it. Also I wanted to have something to post this weekend. :D
(Torches and pitchforks are that way --->)

For most of the fic I tried to keep a few chapters fully written in advance of publication at any one time, but I used up my buffer somewhere around ch. 12 or so.
[close]

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »

*ends on a cliffhanger*
I hate you...
Huh. Considering that'd I'd already ended at least three chapters before this (5, 10, 13) with cliffhangers, so I figured you guys would be used to it by now. In fact, I was worried it was starting to become cliche  ::)

Readers are a fickle bunch.
I'ma ninja!

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: The Marenos Crisis (ch.17: 2015-01-25)
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »

You like cliffhangers? Here, have MORE cliffhangers!

Chapter 17
Spoiler
The place was eerily silent with all the machinery shut down and idle about, Artemis thought as they entered the main processing area. She quickly scanned her surroundings, noting the gunmen maintaining a careful watch from seemingly every angle, both on the floor and the catwalks above. Many of them were wearing face coverings of one kind or another, and the others were too far away to get a good look at them. Yet even from this distance, their body language communicated their mistrust without any room for doubt.

“I hope you know what you’re doing, Captain,” Koniecpolski whispered over the comm.

She started to reply, but then they came to a stop in front of the taupe-haired man they’d come to meet, standing between a pair of conveyor belts. Two guards stood behind and on either side of him, faces grim, flechette guns at the ready with spare magazines hanging from their utility vests. Their gazes met - his grey, her teal - and she could sense the tension in his narrow body.

“So, the League officer comes to do her master’s bidding,” Felipe Arrastia half-growled. “How much is old man Skilleton paying you for your services?”

“You don’t have to be rude, Mr. Arrastia.” She lifted her hand, bringing it to her chest as she bowed slightly. “I’m Captain Artemis Archer, League Navy. I’d like for us to talk and resolve this unfortunate situation without bloodshed.”

“Words,” he muttered. “I’m sure, of course, you wouldn’t be happy if you could just cut all our throats and walk away.” His eyes drifted briefly to her right arm, still in its sling, and his expression was a little less sour when he looked at her again. “Fine, suppose I believe you. Has the government agreed to our demands, then?”

“No. In fact, I’d say they reject your right to make any demands to begin with.”

He scoffed. “Of course. We have nothing to talk about, in that case. Why are you even here?”

“You know full well they’re weren’t ever going to get rid of Quasar, or let you walk away from this.”

“So we did.” His eyes were hard as diamonds. “We knew our lives were forfeit the moment we made our move. The only question is how many of those who have wronged us, those who have inflicted so much misery on the people of this world, will we take with us.” He looked up at the blue sky, clear through the skylight overhead. “I wouldn’t expect a cushy core worlder like you to understand, but… some things are worth dying for.”

She spread her arms. “You don’t have to take that as a given. Nobody needs to die today, if only you and I can come to a fair and just agreement.”

“Spare us your sweet-talk, Captain,” he growled. “We’re in no mood to hear it. Not when all your words are in the service of those who have brutalised us all our lives. Not after everything we’ve lost.”

“Like Enrique?”

The name startled him for a moment. Anger bloomed on his face, and he tightened his grip on his rifle as the guards’ weapons snapped up to cover her. “How dare you? What do you know about him? How dare you speak his name?”

“I’m not going to say I know what it’s like to lose a son,” she said quickly, holding up her hand. “But I understand why this is personal for you… and for what it’s worth, I’m sorry for your loss. I truly am.”

He glared at her for a few fulminating seconds, jaw clenched, then slowly lowered his gun, the other two terrorists doing the same. “I… thank you for your expression of concern. Even if I’m not prepared to completely grant your sincerity just yet. But it makes no difference. It will take more than your sympathy to dissuade us from our path.”

“Listen,” she said gently. “I know you want revenge; you want to make a statement. But Sekos needs more than that; it needs genuine, lasting change. It needs to become a place where nobody has to die as your son did. Blowing yourself and a few score other people up won’t make that happen.”

“And yet you ask us to surrender without a fight?” His voice was harsh, bitter. “You think if we lay down our arms and renounce the use of violence, the generals and managers will see the error of their ways and fall to their knees in guilt?”

She shook her head. “Nothing like that. I’m… working something out, but first I need to see your hostages. Will you take me to them?”

He paused for a while, examining her even expression, briefly glancing at one of the men beside him. “Fine,” he said after a while. “But if you try anything, you’ll die with them. And leave your Marines here.”

Koniecpolski started to object, but Archer was already waving him down. “Very well, sir,” she said, nodding. “Lead on.”

A hundred and fifty kilometers above, Commander Ashok Jaitley stared uneasily at his display, his hand sweeping a wide arc as he panned the view of the siege.

The captain hadn’t told him all the full details of her plan, but he knew just what it was she was trying to accomplish. Which in turn gave him an idea of how… forcefully the Sekos system authorities would object if they found out. And with the better part of a battalion of security troops surrounding her and the two squads of Marines she’d taken…

He rubbed his mustache, a habit his wife had tried for years to dissuade in vain. He couldn’t reach her now, not since she’d gone into the building and under the umbrella of the jammer Arrastia’s men had set up. But the Valiant was his to command (for now), and even if he couldn’t do anything to help her directly, he could exert some force of his own in the right places.

“Commander Battuta.”

“Yes, sir?” the astrogator looked up from her console at him.

“Undock us from the station. Then put us in an orbit that’s clear of any fixed guns but with line of sight to Pynchet for the next four hours.” He looked at the nearby tactical console. “And Commander Diamond… order the gun crews to load the HVDs with O2S rounds. And key in bombardment trajectories for the list of targets I’ve sent to you.”

Ross Diamond jerked up from the simulation he was working on. “Um… sir, may I ask why?”

“You may,” he said, a wintry smile forming on his face. “If I understood the Captain right, she’s about to do something that might make Quasar and the local government very angry with her. Angry enough, in fact, that they’ll likely try to do something unpleasant. Under the circumstances, I think it would be… prudent… to take out an insurance policy.”

“I… uh.” He shook his head. “Alright, consider it done. You’re really serious about this, Commander.”

“Naturally.” Jaitley turned back to the main display, brown eyes twinkling. “She’s our captain. We have to look out for her.”

“General Manager Lain, I presume?”

The blonde woman looked up from her kneeling position on the basement floor, her hands roughly bound with microfilament string behind her back. Half a dozen other people were in similar positions elsewhere in the room, a few angry guards watching over them. “That’s me,” she said, then shivered. Her hoarse voice sounded alien even to her… especially to her.

“I’m Captain Artemis Archer, Persean League Navy,” the white-uniformed figure before her said. Odd… why was her arm in a sling? “You are well? You haven’t been mistreated?”

“N-no,” she croaked. “I’m fine.” Then, shaking herself, she stared at the other woman. “What are you doing here? Did they send you to get me out?”

“In a manner of speaking. I’m trying to persuade Arrastia and his men to not shoot or blow up anyone. But it won’t be easy; you have to work with me.”

“Okay,” Lain mouthed, looking past her new visitor at the scowling Felipe Arrastia beyond. “What do you need?”

“You’re the senior Quasar Industries representative in the Marenos subsector, correct? Anything that happens here goes through you?”

“Yeah.” Surely you already knew that, she thought, but declined to bring it up. She was in no position right now to second-guess anyone else, especially if that person was trying to secure her freedom. God, her hands hurt.

“Is there any chance someone else - someone higher up - could run an multi-hundred kilocred operation in the subsector without your knowledge? Would they be able to keep it concealed from you?”

“I…” The manager shook her head. “It’s not outright impossible... but it would be very difficult and inefficient. We’ve spent two decades setting up here. They’d have to start from scratch... bring in their own people, their own supply channels, their own connections… I can’t imagine what they might be doing that would be worth it.”

Archer nodded, then turned around. “Mr. Arrastia, I need a private word with General Manager Lain. Just you, me, her and anyone else you want to bring along, and it needs to be somewhere absolutely no-one else can hear us. Can that be arranged?”

“Well… yes. This way, please.”

One of the bodyguards stepped forward, and Lain whimpered as he dragged her to her feet. Then his gun muzzle was on her back, and she meekly fell in behind Arrastia, Captain Archer and the other bodyguard following close behind.

They went down a long corridor, down a dark flight of stairs, around a corner and into a small, musty storage area lined with partly filled metal racks. A dampening field generator hummed in one corner, its shiny metallic sheen contrasting with the thin layer of dust that had settled on almost everything else.

She was allowed to settle into a hard wooden chair directly under one of the two lights in the room, facing her captors. “Comfortable?” the captain asked, and she nodded.

“Alright. I’m going to ask a few questions, and I need you to be completely open with me. Clear?”

“Um… of course.”

Artemis took a deep breath, then stared the prisoner in the eye. “What do you know about the connection between Quasar Industries and the pirate groups in the Marenos subsector?”

Everyone else in the room jerked upright instantly. “I…” Lain started, then stiffened, her eyes wide. “I… what do you mean? What are you saying – I don’t –”

The muscles in Artemis Archer’s left arm had been honed by the regular task of holding a drawn bow steady, and they had not atrophied appreciably in two weeks of rest. Now the limb shot out and grabbed her collar. “Listen closely, Jennifer Lain,” the League officer said in a low almost-hiss. “Mr. Arrastia here,” her head motioned at the grim-faced terrorist leader standing beside her, “has an axe to grind, and he looks like he’ll be perfectly happy to use your neck as the millstone. Lie to me, or try to evade my questions, and I’m out of here and leaving you to his tender mercies.” She let go, and the prisoner slumped back, gasping for air. “Now, what will it be?”

“I’ll… I’ll talk,” she wheezed.

“Good.” Archer took a step back, arms folded. “We already know that CEO Kenneth Skilleton has been using Quasar assets to sponsor the pirates in Marenos, providing them with funds and weapons. Did you know as well?”

Lain’s eyes seemed for a moment to bulge. “Are… are you serious?” The other woman took a step forward, and Jennifer shook her head frantically. “No, no… I swear, I didn’t know,” she pleaded. “He never told me anything… I never imagined something like this could happen...”

She hung her head. “But it’s true, isn’t it? That’s how they’re taking over all these systems.”

“You really didn’t know?” Artemis’s brow furrowed. “Even after what you said about how impractical it would be to run a completely independent operation of this magnitude?”

“I… wait.” She looked up, shivering. “I… did notice some odd things in the accounts. Weapons, ships and credits seeming to go to strange places, or occasionally disappearing outright. I tried looking into it, but couldn’t puzzle it out. Whoever was doing it had covered their tracks quite well. I bucked it up to the internal audit office, but...”

“It’s on the books, then? It could be evidence in a possible criminal trial?”

Lain nodded jerkily. “I… I think so. It’d be rather circumstantial as it is, but if you follow the trails up more closely than I did, you might find something that could unravel all of it. I can’t be sure, but…”

“It’ll do.” The captain tilted her head. “If you were to get out of here and go outside, could you remotely access and download the files we need?”

“Some of it. I’d need physical access to go deep enough, though; we obviously keep the sensitive stuff isolated. Once I get back to work, I should be able to get everything you need.”

“Can we trust you?”

“If we can’t, you’ll just have to rely on what I can get without leaving your sight,” the General Manager sighed. “Or come back with a fleet big enough to enforce a search warrant.”

“I see.” The two women looked at each other for a while, then the orange-haired one turned to Arrastia. “Alright, I think I have my plan now.”

“You have my ear.”

She paused for a while, as if gathering her thoughts. “Here’s the deal. First, you and your men surrender yourselves into League custody –”

“What?!”

“-and we take you back to League territory,” Archer went on, driving over his shouts. “It’s unlikely that they’ll try extradition proceedings, but if they do I promise I’ll do my best to stop them. In return,” she motioned with her hand at the hostage, “Miss Lain here gets the evidence we need to nail Skilleton to the wall in court. With that, we should be able to force Quasar to withdraw from the system, or at least implement reforms. You get to change your world for the better, the hostages get to live, we end the piracy problem in Marenos, everyone’s happy.”

“You can’t possibly think we’d agree to this,” Arrastia hissed. “How can we trust her? For that matter, why should we trust you? And even if she does get the evidence, what makes you so sure it’ll be enough? How do you know that pig Skilleton won’t squirm his slimy way out of this?” He shook his head forcefully. “No. I’m almost tempted to believe you, but we’re not going to stake our chances on something like this.”

“Sir, you can’t possibly –”

“Enough, Captain. Even if I wanted to, I could never convince my people to go along with this. There’s no point discussing this any further.”

“Wait,” Lain called out, and the others in the room turned to face her. “There’s… there’s something else. There was one thing Skilleton did that doesn’t involve any obscure paper trails. Actually, I already destroyed the evidence of that one, but I can still testify to it. It won’t be enough for a criminal conviction, but in the public sphere…”

“Explain,” Arrastia said firmly.

She closed her eyes briefly, exhaling slowly. “The May Massacre… Skilleton ordered it. He wanted the unions and their members broken into submission. I was the one who relayed his orders to the government.”

It was as if the light had fallen out of its socket and shattered to a million pieces on the floor.

“You… you…”

For three seconds, then five, he seemed frozen in place. Then he took three long strides towards her and seized her by the neck, dragging her up and off the chair, ignoring Archer’s shocked exclamation. “Murderer,” he snarled, face contorted in fury.

He shoved her back into the chair, and she could only stare fearfully up at him as he levelled his rifle, muzzle squarely facing the bridge of her nose. “Give me one reason I shouldn’t kill you right now.”

She wanted to say something - anything - but the words wouldn’t form, instead forming a thick lump in her throat. She could see his finger slipping into the trigger guard, twitching, just a slight jerk away from sending a bullet through her head…

Then the barrel abruptly jerked upwards, and there was Archer, standing in front of her, holding the gun up towards the ceiling with her one good arm. “Arrastia, please!” the captain implored, even as the guards brought their own weapons up to track her. “You can’t just blow someone away in a fit of rage! You’re better than that!”

“Out of the way, captain,” he said bitingly. “You don’t know me. Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do to this woman, whose hands are red with the blood of the innocent.”

“Killing her won’t bring them back - won’t bring him back!” Her voice was urgent, almost pleading. “It won’t even make you feel better! All you’ll do is turn yourself into something you don’t want to be!”

He stared harshly at her, fangs bared, and she met his bitter eyes unflinchingly. “You’re right,” she said slowly. “I don’t know you, and I can’t presume to know what you’d do in a situation like this… or even what I’d do. But you do know yourself… and your son.” She looked away now, regretfully, for a moment. “Tell me… is this what he would have wanted? Can you truthfully say this is what you’d have liked him to see?”

Bleak hatred burned in his gaze, but also a flicker of understanding, and she slowly lowered the gun into a rest position. That done, she stepped aside, letting captor and captive face each other again.

“Mr. Arrastia,” Lain said in a halting voice. “I… I’m sorry. What I did that day… it haunts me every night. I know nothing I can do can change the past, but if there’s any way I can help set things right, I want to do it.” Her irises were shimmering in the light now. “Please.”

He looked at the woman he’d wanted so badly to kill just a minute before, then at a pale-faced Archer; she met his eyes, and nodded slowly at him. Back to Lain, for several more seconds. Finally, he exhaled slowly, his arms drooping to his sides. “You win, Captain,” he said softly. “We’ll do it your way.”

It wasn’t that easy, of course. They still had to convince the rest of his cell to go along with the seemingly outrageous plan, and more than one member had protested vehemently indeed at their new orders. For a few minutes, it seemed as if they were on the brink of impeaching him - or hanging him for treason. Fortunately, Arrastia’s authority and Archer’s deft diplomacy had let them function as quite formidable a good cop, bad cop team, and within half an hour they’d not only thwarted a mutiny but succeeded in bringing everyone around to the idea (even if some grumbling remained).

The comm jammer was disengaged, and the Valiant’s Marines marched in double file to secure the new prisoners. The weapons were set aside, the bombs deactivated and the hostages freed, and in a few minutes everyone was walking out the front entrance, Archer at the lead with Koniecpolski leading an honor guard close behind.

Colonel Zorbas was waiting at the front gate with quite an impressive escort of his own, standing at parade rest against the backdrop of the now-orange sky. “Very well done, Captain,” he said, nodding pleasantly as she came to a halt two meters before him. “You’ve convinced the terrorists of the futility of their methods and delivered them straight into our hands. The Republic of Sekos thanks you for your assistance.”

“You’re welcome.”

“An air-car is already waiting to take you to the Presidential Palace where you will receive the proper accolades for your services.” He motioned one of the security sections forward. “We’ll be taking charge of the captured terrorists and rescued hostages now.”

“Sorry, Colonel, but I have my own arrangements for these people,” Archer said. “The Persean League Navy has agreed to take custody of them during the negotiations, and will be transporting them to League space for proper handling.”

Zorbas startled, then stared grimly at her. “I’m afraid I can’t permit that, Captain,” he said frostily. “These terrorists are wanted for their crimes in Sekos. We must insist that they be turned over to the local authorities to face justice.”

Turning these people over to your “justice” is the last thing I want to do. “Quasar Industries and the Sekos Security Directorate requested that I resolve the situation, and I did. This is a necessary part of the resolution. The plant is safe and intact, and no-one has been killed. You have no cause for complaint.”

“Don’t be obstinate.” He eyed her sideways. “Are you really so eager to let a group of terrorists get off unpunished for kidnapping and attempted murder? For that matter, what do you want with the Quasar employees? One would think you were taking them captive yourself.”

“I don’t approve of what Arrastia and his followers have done either, but a deal is a deal. As for the hostages, General Manager Jennifer Lain has agreed to help us with an investigation into pirate activity in the Marenos subsector, and will be accompanying us. You’re welcome to have the rest of the freed hostages, of course.”

“Miss Lain is critical to Quasar’s business operations and CEO Skilleton insists that she return to her duties as soon as possible.”

Archer smiled thinly. “We’re sorry, but the League Navy requires her services even more and I, too, must insist on keeping her with us for a while. We would be happy to compensate Quasar for any financial losses suffered as a result, of course.”

The colonel started to say something more, than shook his head. “I see how it is, then. I was warned that such difficulties might arise, and have prepared accordingly.”

His hand whipped down to his hip, then up again, and she jerked back at the sight of a mag-pistol in her face. The Security Directorate troopers also raised their weapons, and the League Marines did the same almost instantly.

“You solved one crisis without violence, Captain Archer,” Zorbas said. “Now you have a chance to do it a second time. Will you surrender the terrorists and General Manager Lain as required, or shall we do this the painful, unpleasant way?”

“What do you think you’re doing, Colonel?” she rasped.

“Me, captain? It is you who apparently think you can get away with abduction of innocent people and helping kidnappers and murderers to escape justice. We are simply enforcing the law of our planet, as is our right as a sovereign star nation under interstellar law.” He drew his lips back in a shark’s pseudo-smile. “Be reasonable, Captain. I’m sure you can see there is only one correct solution to this situation you find yourself in.”

She glanced at Koniecpolski and his Marines, staring down three times their number in paramilitary units. Then at Felipe Arrastia, head high, staring defiantly at the representatives of the regime he had rebelled against. Turning back, she took a deep breath, and stared Christos Zorbas squarely in the face.

“You see my arm here, Colonel?” she said, her left hand flashing briefly on her right shoulder. “I didn’t get it from falling out of a tree, you know. I’ve faced genuinely frightening, even terrifying situations, events that left their scars and their nightmares with me to this day. Next to those, your pitiful attempt to intimidate me with a show of force doesn’t even register. In that light,” her eyes glittered with cold fury, “I suggest you tell your men to put their guns down before someone gets hurt.”

They stared at each other coldly for several ticking seconds, with all silent except the low breeze and the uneasy shuffling of several of the combatants. It seemed he was just about to open his mouth, to give the order to open fire, when the wristcomp hanging from her immobilised right arm chirped with an incoming transmission.

“Captain, I’ve got a communication for you,” Commander Jaitley’s voice came through her earbug. “Put this on public video.”

She hesitated for only a moment, then pressed a few buttons, and the flickering images of two people appeared in the air: Jaitley himself, and Director-General Michèle Bellerive.

“What’s the meaning of this?” Zorbas snapped.

“I couldn’t help but overhear your little tête-à-tête, Colonel, Captain,” the Valiant’s XO said pleasantly. “Since today seems to be a good day for dealmaking, I’m coming to you - and Mrs. Bellerive - with a proposition of my own.”

“Talk,” the head of the Security Directorate said sharply.

“Alright. First, the demand: Captain Artemis Archer and whoever else she choose to bring with her get to board their shuttle. It leaves Duval and docks with the PLS Valiant, unloading her entire entourage, before returning to the planet. Our ship departs the Sekos system without incident, everyone goes home happy - for now, at least.”

“I see. And your incentive would be?”

“Simply this. If the captain or her people are harmed in any way, or any of your ships fire upon or even approach within five hundred kilometers of the Valiant, we’ll destroy every government building in Pynchet with kinetic strikes.” Zorbas and Bellerive both gaped at him, and he smiled thinly. “We’ll start with the Presidential Palace, then move on to the Security Directorate. After that… I think we can just pick items at random from the list. Should keep things interesting.”

“Our fleet will destroy you,” Bellerive snarled, leaning heavily on her desk. “We outmass your little cruiser at least five to one. We’ll crush you like a gnat. Your survivors will be hung from the city centre’s trees as an object lesson to others.”

“You might,” Jaitley agreed. “I suspect, though that we might take quite a few of you with us. But it doesn’t matter, because I’ve already sent out a transmission letting the Navy know what’s going on here. If anything happens to the Valiant, the next League visitors to your little tin-pot dictatorship will be a battlecruiser task force. I don’t think you need me to explain to you that the experience will be, as the Colonel so charmingly put it, painful and unpleasant.”

He leaned back in his chair, meeting two furious stares unflinchingly, and there was no longer a smile on his face. Softly: “What will it be?”

“Commanding officer is aboard,” the bosun announced as Archer swung through the docking tube to land neatly on the deck.

“Welcome back, Captain,” Jaitley said, stepping forward to greet her. “I’m glad you and the others made it back in one piece.”

“Thanks to you.” She shook his hand, clasping it firmly. “And thanks for having more foresight than I did back there. I’ll see to it Command rewards you for everything you’ve done on this tour.”

He grinned. “Just doing my job, Captain.” Then, turning to one of the other new arrivals: “And this would be General Manager Lain, I take it? Welcome abroad.”

“Thank you,” the blonde said. “I’d like to exchange pleasantries, but I think your captain is in a hurry. Do you have a computer console we can use?”

“Of course. Right this way, please…”

Half a minute later she was bending over a terminal in an office, entering login credentials for a VPN. “Alright, I just need the internal account books, dated eight months ago and newer… and the internal investigation records… there. It’ll just take a few minutes, Captain, and then we can be on our way.”

“What do you plan on doing afterwards, Captain?” Jaitley queried. “I don’t think we’ll be serving any arrest warrants while that guy’s camping on Duval.”

“Maybe not. But if word gets out on why he’s making such an awfully long stay here, that’ll finish him in the public eye. And it’ll stop doing him any good once a Navy fleet arrives. If he tries to leave-”

Her wristcomp started chiming again, and she took the comm with a sigh. “Yes, Ross?”

“Captain,” Commander Diamond’s face communicated the concern his tone did not, “I thought you’d want to know that the QIS Overseer and its escorts are making a beeline for Jump Point Alpha at maximum burn.”
[close]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:12:32 AM by Histidine »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: The Marenos Crisis (ch.17: 2015-01-25)
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »

Hmmm, an Apogee and her escorts versus an Eagle...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: The Marenos Crisis (complete: 2015-01-31)
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2015, 07:45:47 AM »

Okay, last chapter. I hope we can end this well  :)

Chapter 18
Spoiler
“For heaven’s sake, what’s he screaming about this time?” Cheah hissed.

“Apparently the League wants to arrest him on false charges of piracy and mass murder.” Matayev didn’t even pretend to pay attention to the ranting, panicky CEO on his comm display. “We’re supposed to run back to Central where they can’t reach him.”

The exec scowled at her own display. “Well, that Eagle doesn’t seem to have gotten the memo. It’s still tailing us.”

“It’s not fast enough to catch us, though.” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, gazing at the plot. Both his fleet and the pursuing League cruiser and escort were moving at three million kilometers an hour, headed straight for the alpha jump point of the Sekos system. The pursuers could keep up, but they couldn’t get any closer unless one of the fleeing ships suffered an engine mischief (though unless it was the Overseer itself, Skilleton would probably demand that it be left behind), or it otherwise had to stop. So there should be no problem, except...

“They’ll catch us as soon as we have to stop to refuel,” she said. “We don’t have enough range to make it back without.”

“I know that,” he sighed. “We’ll either have to turn him over then no matter how much he protests, or try to stop them.”

“Do we? Because if not, we may as well go ahead and turn that jerk in now.”

He sighed. “I don’t know, Gerry. It seems like the most sensible thing to do, but if that’s the option we take, you and I are going to end up on the street once HQ finds out. But an act of war against the League will likely look even worse on our CVs - assuming we survive the encounter at all. Which means that, contrary to our esteemed employer’s demands, we’re not going to turn around and open fire on the Valiant if it does catch us.” He muttered a curse under his breath, then went on. “We’ll wait till they back us into a corner before yielding. That makes us seem like at least we tried to do our jobs.”

“Sounds good.” She glared at the display, watching the five green icons leading the two amber ones on a slow chase across the great expanse. “I’ll be damned if we risk our lives bailing Mr. Bigshot out of whatever crime he’s committed, anyway - and you can tell him I said so. He can shoot me if he doesn’t like it.”

“Fifteen minutes to jump point,” Sequeira reported. “The Quasar fleet will arrive five minutes before we do.”

Sybitz remained silent, staring grimly at the primary display. Four times already she’d listened in on Archer hailing the people they were running after, demanding they heave to and surrender CEO Skilleton. Three times they’d been met with the silence of the cosmos. The one exception had been the first time, which involved five minutes of Kenneth Skilleton cursing the League captain out, threatening her, her extended family and the Navy, in between entirely unconvincing protestations of his innocence.

“And what,” Dragunova sighed, “does she plan to do if they lay an ambush for us on the other side?”

“Eh.” Sybitz shrugged. “We can’t beat them in a stand-up fight, that’s for sure. But by the same token, none of them are fast enough to catch us, any more than we’re catching them right now. If we react quickly, we should have no problem disengaging from any trap they may be laying for us.”

“Right. But if we can’t fight them, why are we chasing them at all?”

“Because they won’t fight. For starters,” she pressed one index finger against another, “if they blow up a League Navy ship, they’ll likely see their business kicked out of the League for a long, long time - at minimum. If the Perseans are really *** off, well, let’s just say every officer involved in the attack is a dead man walking.”

“More to the point, though, even if Skilleton orders them to do it anyway, I fully expect they’ll refuse.” She smiled thinly. “If Mr. Bigshot CEO had spent some time studying us pirates instead of just bossing us around, he’d know a thing or two about how to inspire loyalty in your subordinates. Sure, a lot of pirate bosses are ruthless, murderous ***. But they also know not to abuse their positions - not too much, at least - and they know how to lead from the front. Most of all, they know why the time-hallowed pirate tradition of sharing the profits between the crew exists and practice it rigorously. And I’ll eat your biggest gun, Tina, if Skilleton does any of those things.”

Here Sybitz leaned forward, hands clasped, gazing intently at the plot. “If he thinks the whip hand will get his people to lay down their lives for him, he’ll learn just how wrong he was. Very quickly, and possibly permanently.”

“Jumping… now!”

In the span of a little under ten seconds, the QIS Skylark and its companions faded out of normal space, and the star-studded darkness in the distance became the deep blue puffs of hyperspace.

Matayev’s fingers drummed restlessly on his command chair. Transitions between n-space and h-space always carried a certain hazard, as the energy bleed and lingering spacetime distortions left the jumping ship greatly nearsighted for up to a couple of minutes. The same effect did help mask a ship’s identity from anyone awaiting it as well, but not as effectively or as for long. Combined with the natural chokepoint functionality of jump points in general, anyone making a jump in hostile territory was taking a risk.

In practice, pirate attacks in this manner were rare. Jump points were naturally high-traffic regions, which made them terrible places to hide from the law, and the would-be ambushee might well turn out to be a heavily armed military fleet. But Marenos was never very well-policed even before the recent piracy upsurge, and under certain circumstances, such as -

“Scanning,” came the tenor voice of the tactical officer… which then rose sharply. “Multiple contacts! Bearing three five two by zero zero seven, range 350 km and closing!”

“What?!” Matayev’s head jerked sideways to the man, then to his own display, and felt a sudden chill as his scanners placed one of the contacts clearly in the 300-kilotonne range.

“Transponder signal received,” the lieutenant reported, in a slightly shaky voice. “It’s identifying itself as the DMS Doomfist, Dominator-class.”

“Holk!” A scarlet-faced CEO stared at his display. “Why are you here? What are you playing at with taking over all these systems?”

The pirate warlord smiled thinly. “To answer your second question first, my good man, I am establishing myself as the ruler of the Marenos subsector. That much should have been obvious enough, I think. As for the first, I was waiting for you.” He tilted his head. “You see, I happen to have an offer that you can’t refuse. Your options are as follows: One, you surrender your ships intact and yourself to me. Two, I beat your ships into scrap, take them and you as well.” With visible fangs: “You have fifteen seconds to decide.”

“Holk, you *** traitor!”

“You shouldn’t be wasting your time on insults, you know. Ten seconds.”

“All those credits and weapons… you were planning this all along…!”

“Yes, yes, very deductive of you; what of it? Four.”

“If you think I’m going to surrender to a *** two-bit warlord like you-”

Holk smirked. “One.”

“Enough! I’m turning your ship into scrap metal! I’ll burn your sorry pirate corpse and dump your ashes into pig ***! I’ll teach you to *** with me!”

“Option two it is, then,” Holk said with a dramatic sigh. “Disappointing, but hardly surprising. I suppose I will have to indulge you, then. See you soon, Mr. Skilleton.”

The screen went blank.

“Situation?” Matayev said harshly.

“The Omen and the Broadswords are leading their advance down the center,” Captain Tess Wood answered, the tension stretching her mezzo-soprano. “The Sunder and Tridents are just behind them, and the Dominator and Condor are bringing up the rear. Cruiser’s probably gonna burn charge into us at the critical moment, though.”

“And Skilleton wants us to run up ahead and shield him from the bad guys.” The commander didn’t know whether to snort, sigh or scream. “Fine, we’ll put the Wolves outward to catch their lead units in a fork. The Skylark will move forward and down and help you with the big boys. It won’t be easy, but we should be able to make it work.”

Wood glanced aside, muttering something, before turning back to face him squarely. “Alright. It’s our best shot, even if it doesn’t look good. See you on the other side, Ren.”

“You too. Skylark, clear.”

He shut off the comm window, then stared at the red droplets of blood running down his plot. “Why are they bunching up like that?” he heard Cheah mutter. “You’d think they’d be trying to flank us.”

“I don’t know,” Matayev admitted. “But I don’t think it really matters in the end; they’re entering our anti-fighter envelope right about… now.”

As the fighters came swooping in, each Wolf sent sixteen Swarmer missiles at them, two for each Broadsword. Tactical and heavy burst lasers were reaching out as well, burning through the thin fighter armor and gutting their internals, and the pulse weapons were lashing at the Omen’s shield. Suren Matayev tensed in his seat as the SRMs, and the Hurricane MIRV that had joined them, closed with the enemy formation…

...only to jerk halfway out of his seat as the Broadswords fanned out and back, and the Omen triggered its EMP emitter. Highly charged bolts flashed out from the frigate’s hull, melting the missiles’ electronics into slag and turning the entire swarm into so many harmlessly unguided projectiles, and those few that survived the electric storm were easily shredded with well-aimed bursts of machine gun fire.

What happened next could only be described as a slaughter. The Quasar frigates did their best, but their lasers just weren’t enough to keep the low-tech fighters from swarming over them, dicing shields into overload with their machine guns, their own missiles tearing into the hulls of their Expansion-epoch opponents. A pinprick, each individual hit might have been, but few ships in the Sector were built to survive a hundred or a thousand such wounds. The Wolves didn’t even stand a chance.

But Matayev registered their deaths only peripherally. He was already preoccupied with his own problems.

The Sunder was closing in, long cyan tongues of its heavy graviton beams lashing at his hull. Quad heavy needlers answered with raking volleys as the Skylark jetted forward, blasters in hand. Shields came up, and the destroyer’s supercharge autopulse laser lashed out in a violent hail of energy bolts that crackled and sparkled on the Falcon’s shield.

The Skylark was not equipped to win a flux war with the likes of this foe, but it had other tricks of its own. Two Salamanders shot out, zipping past a flailing streak of machine gun fire, and while the tail gun knocked out one before it could connect, the other missile struck home and shorted out his target’s engines in an electromagnetic flare. The commander’s teeth flashed white as he closed in to batter the Sunder’s shields down and wreck its flimsy hull.

“Commander!” Geraldine Cheah cried out suddenly. “The Doomfist is burning in!”

The Dominator’s shield wasn’t particularly efficient, but it did suffice for parrying the lethal bolts of the Overseer’s plasma cannon. Six sabot pods disgorged their loads in a staggered pattern, creating a seemingly endless rain of high-velocity projectiles against the Apogee’s defenses. Wood had dropped her shield after the first one to eliminate any risk of an overload, and the armor deflected most of the initial kinetic projectiles quite efficiently, but they’d done their job nevertheless - the four Hellbore rounds mingling with the swarm flew through the space where the shields should have been, and shattered wide swathes of armor. More sabots tore into the open wounds, tearing through flesh and steel alike inside the smaller cruiser’s bow.

Blue light enveloped the Overseer again, catching the ferocious claws of autocannon fire. The high-tech main gun fired again, each plasma bolt that struck home becoming a torrent of flux into the Dominator’s capacitors, and the Hurricane launcher added its own fury to the stresses on the heavy warship’s shields. Before long, it would have the choice of venting or overloading, and the Quasar fleet would have some breathing room then.

The telltale purple-white streams gushed from the Dominator’s vents, and Wood’s ship took the opportunity to get some of its own back, sending up thick baubles of molten metal across the heavier vessel’s bow armor. Then it lowered its own shield, easing the load on its own overstrained capacitors as some of the Broadswords turned their attention to the biggest target they could find.

Two seconds later, its captain realised her mistake.

Amidst the chaotic back-and-forth, the Tridents had run the gauntlet into the enemy’s midst, their shields and the distraction of an incoming Pilum volley keeping them from death by PD laser. Two of the three had popped up beside and behind the Overseer, and they launched their Atropos torpedos at close range.

Burst lasers got one on each side, but the other zipped out of their turret arcs, and there was neither gun nor shield to stop them. They detonated simultaneously, sending chunks of hull and bulkhead spalling deep into the ship, and the hull lit up with the bright blue fury of fully charged capacitor banks exploding. Then the Omen pulled up alongside them, blasting highly energetic discharges into the Apogee’s circuits, paralyzing the entire port side of the ship.

The third Trident went for Matayev’s ship, and his helmsman swerved just in time to catch the torpedo his lasers had failed to stop on the shield instead of the hull. The distraction had cost him time, allowed the lamed Sunder to restart its engines, and he cursed as it sidestepped him to go after the vulnerable Overseer. Pulse laser bolts and graviton streams pummeled the belatedly re-raised shields into shutdown, and if the four Harpoon missiles that followed lacked the lethal punch of the Atroposi, they quite sufficed to further bleed the wounded beast. Especially the one that struck the plasma cannon mount and blew out the power feed to its magnetic drivers.

“Back off, Tess! Tess! You there?!”

He felt the sweat trickling into his eyes as he watched the QIS Overseer dying before his eyes. Only his ship was still combat effective, and that would change in fairly short order once they turned their attention to him - as the Sunder was already doing. The Buffalo they’d brought along didn’t count; he may as well have shot their crew himself as sent them up against warships of any kind, much less the ones he faced now. And Captain Wood and her bridge officers were out of contact… or dead.

His whole body was shaking with the sense of imminent doom, and there was nothing he could think of to do that would save either his friends’ ships, or his own.

At least he’d had time to vent his capacitors, readying it for a fresh charge into the teeth of danger. If he accepted the destruction of his ship as a given and sought only to do as much damage as possible before he went down, he could…

“Hyper footprint!” someone barked sharply, and he felt his heart lurch. The amber icons he had forgotten all about five minutes ago appeared on his plot once more.

“My god.”

It took Archer several seconds to realise it was she who had uttered the words. The situational display that had greeted her at the jump point exit was a completely unexpected one: the gutted, maimed QIS Overseer, the still-hot wreckage of its two escort frigates, and multiple hostile ships and fighters swarming about the sole surviving escort. She didn’t have any way of knowing for sure who the mystery attackers were, but she had little reason to believe they were friendly… and deep down inside she already knew there was only one group in the subsector would have dared launch such an audacious move.

“The Dominator is hailing us, ma’am,” Gray announced, and Archer pressed the receive button without a word. The face that appeared on her viewscreen was one she recognised from the briefing she’d first received so many months ago, and though she showed no outward sign of it, every nerve in her body was taut.

“Ah, the esteemed Captain Artemis Archer, in the flesh,” Manza Holk said in an unexpectedly pleasant voice. “I suppose you can surmise who I am.”

“Manza Holk, of the Black Hatchet,” she said, her own tone just a little terser than she’d anticipated. “I didn’t expect to run into you here.”

“Not quite, Captain.” He smiled. “It’s now Manza Holk, Dominion of Marenos.”

“Dominion.” She glared. “So that’s what this whole conquest thing is about. I see you’ve been busy.”

He let out an understated sigh. “As have you, Captain. You’ve caused me a lot of trouble - frankly, if I knew just how much, I would have invested some actual effort into killing you. But that’s all in the past,” he went on, reclining in his chair. “For now, what can I do for you, captain?”

“You can start by turning Kenneth Skilleton over to us,” she said. “And then you can take your fleets and go home to Vaas before we kick you out.”

“Such threats, my lady! Surely you know I wouldn’t have made it to my present position if I was going to back down so easily.” Head tilted now, eyes dancing with amusement. “As for our mutual friend from Quasar, I’d like to help you, but I’m afraid I have my own plans for him.”

She raised an eyebrow. “And those would be?”

“Please, captain! Do I look like some comic book villain, blabbing all my plans to my enemies just before I feed them to the sharks?” He snorted derisively. “Maybe I’ll hold him for ransom. Or perhaps I intend to have him executed before the people of the subsector to start off my reign. Who can say?”

“You really think you can get away with this warlord thing?”

“Warlord? Come now, Miss Archer. What I’m doing is no different from what any number of much-respected leaders throughout human history, including in our very Sector, have done. In fact, the only difference between you and me is that your League prefers to do it with a pile of credits instead of a fleet.”

“Those two things are not equivalent and you know it!”

“I do believe the historians will say otherwise once I have triumphed. That is what they have always done, after all.”

“And you also believe the League will let you get away with this? Or the Hegemony?”

Holk barked a short, sharp laugh. “Oh, that’s a good joke, alright. Your weak, vacillating League Assembly - no offence, Captain - takes a month of debate to decide on the color of its own socks. Once I present them with my fait accompli, they’ll see no option but to give in and accept their new not-so-friendly neighbours.” He glanced away thoughtfully. “The Hegemony might act differently, but as things stand, why should they? The Dominion will be a thorn in your side, not theirs. In short, there is simply no-one out there with both the will and the power to stop me.”

Archer stared coldly at him for several seconds, left fingers clenching, then exhaled slowly, closing her eyes. Recollections of everything she’d seen in the subsector flashed through her mind - a pleasant commissioner on Catal, a desperate rebel on Duval, a lonely orphan boy in Mazic, even a jovial pirate skipper in Calpe orbit - and she came to a decision.

“Well, well,” she said with a thin smile, eyes open again. “It seems like you’ve thought this through very well indeed. There’s just one flaw in your plan.”

“And what would that be?”

She leaned forward, her left hand forming a fist on the armrest, and stared him in the eye. “All I have to do is kill you here, and your little pocket empire falls apart before it even begins.”

“My, what audacity!” He smirked. “You may be right, but I’d advise against making the attempt. They say political power flows from the barrel of a gun, and I made sure to bring along the biggest guns I could get - rather bigger than yours, I’d suggest. It would be quite tragic if a capable woman like yourself were to perish fighting for a futile cause, wouldn’t you agree?”

“I’ve faced down impossible odds for causes everyone else thought was futile before, Holk. I’m not going to stop now - not when so much is at stake.”

He leaned back in his chair, sighing. “How melodramatic. Very well, my lady. If you’re so insistent on dying at my hands - as Skilleton here did, though for rather less noble reasons - I suppose it would be most ungracious of me to decline you.”

The DMS Doomfist turned to face its new foe, weapons gleaming in the violet light of the jump point, and Manza Holk’s face flashed with a cold keenness.

En garde, Captain.”

“I can’t believe you’re actually fighting that guy,” Sybitz muttered. “If I didn’t like you so much, I’d be running the other way right now and you’d get to run this fool’s errand on your own.”

“Bin it, Adela,” Archer snapped. “Listen, I’m going to fence with the Dominator and keep him diverted from you and the Quasar survivors. I want you to go and mop up everyone who doesn’t come after us. Can you do that?”

The ex-pirate glanced at the tactical display, where several fighters, a frigate and a destroyer were all engaging the one light cruiser still fighting. “Always asking for the impossible, aren’t you? Fine, we’ll go whump on your new friends.”

“Good. And… be careful.”

“Be careful, yourself.” Sybtiz smiled. “Don’t forget, you still owe me a month’s pay. A&R, out.”

Once again the Doomfist opened the engagement with a volley of sabots, a stream of missiles riding with a four-shot Hellbore salvo. But this time the target had anticipated something like this, and her maneuvering jets flipped her 90 degrees portwise around her long axis. The high-explosive cannon shells passed by on either side, and those of the kinetic projectiles that did not similarly miss ricocheted harmlessly off the Valiant’s angled armor as her course took her on a barrel roll that any atmospheric fighter would have envied.

She quickly levelled off again, and where the mighty Hellbores had gone wide, her own smaller HVDs struck the Dominator’s armor dead center. The EMP effect dazzled the larger ship’s sensors and targeting systems, and its next cannon barrage missed even wider than the first. Then the Eagle was circling it, lashing at it again and again beyond its range, like a picador of old against a bull.

Some of the Broadswords dancing about the Skylark noticed the Lasher-class frigate bearing down on them and turned their attention to it. Others were distracted or remained focused on the Falcon, machine guns chewing at the broad shield as it tried frantically to hit them with its heavy weapons, a man swatting flies with a sledgehammer.

It scarcely mattered which course they took.

The Armed & Reckless dove into the fray, and where the cruiser’s blasters had missed more often than not, the frigate’s machine guns and Vulcan cannons ripped the attacking fighters apart in sharp, precise bursts. The rapid-fire weapons perforated and shredded their thin armor with ruthless ease, and the pirate fighter pilot who could outwit Valentina Ilyinichna Dragunova’s gunnery had never been born.

Some of them, caught a little less off balance than their fellows, tried to fight back. But the Lasher’s shields were deactivated, and their low-caliber MGs had no hope of doing any real damage to even frigate armor. Most of them had exhausted their Swarmers on the Quasar fleet, and the few launches they could muster were intercepted quickly and efficiently by the same PD guns that were cutting them down like so much ripe wheat. One particularly unlikely pirate even ended up flying in front of the Reckless and getting blown apart by a few well-placed 25mm shells from the assault guns.

“That’s right, boys” Dragunova snarled as another well-timed trigger of the port Vulcan knocked out yet another fighter, the ship continuing her deadly dance of destruction. “Run home to your mommies and cry some more!”

Manza Holk gritted his teeth. The sudden intervention of the Valiant and its escort had turned what should have been a mop-up into a dangerously even battle, and he’d already taken more losses than he’d bargained on. Fighters were always expendable on some level, of course, but they weren’t free… and they wouldn’t be the last of his force to go down if anything further went wrong.

What he needed was to take his own ship over there and finish that Falcon so he could wrap up the capture of his former employer and leave. The frigate could run or die for all he cared; torpedo-armed or not, it could make no difference once the larger ships were dealt with. But he dared not expose his back to the League cruiser that now seemed to be taunting him, pricking the Doomfist with its HVDs, flickering its shield to contemptuously catch his own cannon rounds.

“Go to sequenced fire, Rigo. And have Trisula form a tetrahedron with us. It’s time we clipped this eagle’s wings.”

“Unbelievable,” Matayev whispered, to himself as much as to anyone else, as the shield came up once more to stop the flashing autopulse bolts. “That Lasher just took apart the entire squadron!”

His console beeped with the comm chime of a squadron network signal, and a woman’s crisp brown face appeared on his screen. “Adela Sybitz, of the Armed & Reckless,” she said. “How’s your ship?”

“Suren Matayev, commander of the QIS Skylark.” He didn’t even try to keep the immense relief out of his expression. “I think you just saved all our lives. Thanks.”

“Anytime, big boy. Now could you return the favor and help us deal with the two other baddies with us? We’re not equipped to handle that kind of threat.”

“Of course.” His grin somehow managed to combine gratitude with a predatory sentiment. “I think it’s time we got some of our own back.”

The Omen was duelling with the Lasher, trying to get behind it where its EMP emitter and PD lasers would do something beyond disappearing into the other ship’s flux capacitors. That was when the Falcon engaged its thrusters and lunged straight for the high-tech ship, sending a flurry of Salamanders before it.

Against threats from two directions, the pirate skipper would have been just skilled enough to disengage and escape mostly unscathed. With three and a still-recharging emitter, he stood no chance at all; two EMP missiles struck home and knocked out his engines as he tried desperately to outmaneuver his opponents. Three blaster bolts send the frigate into overload a couple of seconds later, and another two broke it in half like a child’s toy.

That leaves just the Sunder. Which, to its credit, was still putting up a good fight; its energy weapons brought the Skylark’s still-strained shields to the brink of overload, and six Harpoon missile streaked in to gouge its opponent’s armor along the starboard prong. Damage control alarms shrieked throughout the ship, and Matayev felt as if it was his own body that had taken the blows - he didn’t even want to think about how many of his people had just died - but unlike the Overseer, his ship was still alive and functional. The light cruiser swiftly turned to present its mostly-intact port to the enemy while it vented, and the smaller ship was already backing away slowly, knowing what four heavy blasters on continuous fire could do to it now.

He was about to give the command to close in and finish the destroyer off when another, different warning signal buzzed from his console. He jerked his head up to the squadron net display, and felt his elation draining along with the blood on his face at the flashes of red on the screen.

“Back out further!” Archer barked, even as Helmsman Divila was already engaging the Valiant’s reverse thrusters. Her tense fingers gripped the armrest in a white-knuckled hold, the flux warning indicators flashing in the corner of her vision and the center of her mind.

She couldn’t drop her shields as long as she stayed in effective Hellbore range, not with the way it was sequencing its shots. Even if the torque was throwing the Dominator’s aim off with each shot, it would only take a few good hits to batter her ship badly once her shield went down. No matter how many times she lanced the beast with her own guns, it didn’t seem to stop, and even the couple of Harpoon hits she’d managed to land barely slowed it down. Another five minutes of this and...

“Tridents incoming,” Diamond said sharply, as the point defense lasers stopped another Pilum volley. “They’re fanning out in a triangle.”

Archer felt the cold sweat beading on the back of her neck, her breaths harsh in the confines of her helmet. If she had adequate flux reserves when they came in for the attack, she could shrug their torpedoes off and still be able to fend off the heavy cruiser’s advances until help arrived. What would happen if she didn’t scarcely bore thinking about. And if Holk had any idea whatsoever what he was doing, he wouldn’t order them to strike until-

Doomfist burning in!”

She practically leapt out of her chair, gripping her command station. “Maneuvering jets! Climb now!”

The Eagle leapt up, spinning a hundred and eighty degrees on her long axis and driving vertically relative to the plane of their engagement, and only the desynchronisation this caused in the enemy’s carefully timed attack maneuver saved her from certain destruction. The torpedo bombers dove in at once, even as the Doomfist angrily flung sabots and autocannon shells at its evading prey, and six Atropos torpedoes flew out as streaks of yellow towards their target, at so many angles she could never hope to stop them all.

Still, she tried her best. PD lasers knocked out three short of their targets, and another vanished in an actinic flash on the shield. Said shield was quickly dropped to prevent an overload, and a fifth Atropos ripped a huge but survivable gash on the ventral port bow section.

The sixth snaked past laser and shield alike and detonated in the Valiant’s port main thruster.

Four ratings in the engineering department died instantly as a plasma conduit ruptured no more than eight meters from them. Another three suffered severe burns, and several others were cut up by a hail of flying shrapnel. The damage to the engine caused the starboard thruster to flame out as well, leaving the ship to drift helplessly as the Dominator ended its burn drive and came turning to bring its main guns to bear.

Ross Diamond slammed his hand down on the emergency vent button, but even as the accumulated flux began gushing out into the surrounding hyperspace, the enemy had locked on and gone to maximum rate of fire. Huge high-explosive rounds struck the League ship over and over like the fist of an enraged giant, shattering even the toughest armor the engineers of the Core Epoch could shape, and sending jagged chunks of bulkhead spalling through rooms and corridors to slice through any crewman unlucky enough to get in their way.

The entire left deckhead of the bridge caved in, air rushing out through the breach, and the lights went with it. Darkness shrouded the Valiant’s officers for a second before they were illuminated in emergency red. Cries of pain went up all around, one of which was abruptly cut off almost before it started, and Artemis Archer barely heard her own scream.

“Orders, Captain?” Diamond called out.

She could not respond. She could only sit still, breathing heavily, pulse racing. “Captain!” he shouted again, even as he knew there was command she could give that would do any good. Not while they were immobilized, waiting to be picked off like apples from a tree.

With violently trembling hands she punched in the command for a comm link to Engineering, her heart pounding in her ears. “Captain to Engineering,” she said, fighting to keep the quaver out of her voice. “Rolls, come in! Rolls!”

“No!”

All three people on the bridge of the ISS Armed & Reckless were watching the same thing on their respective screens: the vivid imagery of the PLS Valiant incapacitated by the torpedo attack, the Hellbores beginning to tear into it.. All of them could do the math, and knew that only their own ship could possibly intervene in time to save the League cruiser, especially with the Sunder still threatening the Skylark’s rear. That if the Eagle went down, they would have no choice but to retreat in the face of the still-superior opposition, ending everything they’d done up to now in failure. And yet, they could only intervene at great, possibly lethal risk to themselves.

“We have to help them,” Sequeira said in a low, almost timid voice.

“Are you nuts?” Dragunova glared at him. “What do you think that Dominator is going to do to us if we give it the chance?”

“I know you don’t much like the League or Captain Archer, but look at it this way - if she dies, we don’t get paid.”

“If we die, we don’t get paid either and it doesn’t even matter if we do!”

They both turned to look at Sybitz. “Skipper?” the ex-smuggler said, his expression clearly that of one seeking guidance from above.

For what seemed like forever Adela Sybitz had been staring with burning eyes at her screen, watching the murderous explosions rippling across the Valiant. Men and women died as hull plates shattered and ammunition stores and capacitor banks ruptured, and she saw the face of a captain who had so often risked her life for others. A captain who had saved the life of a boy so much like the brother she couldn’t.

“We’re going in,” she said coldly.

“Skipper,” Dragunova began, “I must object –”

“Drive straight for the front of the Doomfist. As soon as we’re in point-blank range, launch both torpedoes, half-second delay.”

Sequeira’s eyes widened. “Skipper, I don’t think that’s –”

“Do it!” Sybitz roared.

Her two most trusted companions hesitated for a moment, as if they were about to refuse. But then the moment passed, finely-honed team instinct taking over. The frigate was already taking off, sprinting as fast as her engines could take her without spontaneously exploding, and they closed the distance in a streak of orange fire. Fifteen kilometers… ten… five...

By now the Eagle’s vent had ended, its shield coming up again, buying some valuable respite, but it could only be a temporary relief. She trailed atmosphere and debris, bleeding horribly from her wounds, and Sybitz felt her nerves turned to steel.

Machine guns and Vulcan cannons opened up on the still-unshielded Lasher, followed belatedly by autocannons, and rounds of various sizes pelted and splintered the thin armor. Her shield was still down, seemingly relying on faith and fury to protect her through the hail of lead, and then she reached her destination. One red torpedo went away, then the other, and the Armed & Reckless broke off almost as swiftly as she had charged.

With the initial boost of their parent ship and their own overpowered engines, the Reapers bore down on their targets like the fists of Satan himself. Point defense weapons spat metal in a desperate bid to stop them, but they were too fast to track effectively, and their plating held against the few stray hits.

The first torpedo flashed in a violent burst of heat against the shield, and the flux feedback shorted out half a dozen capacitors deep within the ship and sent the entire grid into overload. That left the second Reaper free to strike home on the Doomfist’s bow, carving out a massive crater in the damaged armor with the fury of a miniature star.

“Ugh!”

Manza Holk snarled as his ship shuddered and reeled from the blow they’d just taken. Air flowed out in streams from the gaping wound in its bow, the blast doors thankfully sealing off the affected area. Half his sensors were gone, overloaded capacitors were sparking all over the ship, and the only reason the functional loss of three of his six missile pods wasn’t more infuriating was because they’d all emptied their loads anyway.

For the first time in many cycles, he felt genuine, untempered rage boiling within. He’d worked so long and so hard for this, to prove himself worthy as a master of all that he surveyed. Yet now this League interloper who had no right to even be here, much less challenge him, was thwarting his best laid plans at every turn. Was she now going to steal his moment of triumph, to humiliate him on the field of battle?

No. That was unacceptable even for Holk the pirate, much less Holk the ascendant ruler of Marenos. Whatever else happened, Captain Artemis Archer could not be permitted to live through this day.

He carefully throttled his anger, forcing the lava back into the earth it sprang form, and looked steadily at the rendered image of the Valiant’s shattered form. Yes, she’d hurt him badly… but he’d hurt her even worse. A few more good hits, and he would carry the day in the end, after all.

“As soon as our overload ends, burn drive to close range against the Eagle,” he commanded, cold anger dripping from his voice. “She’s been a thorn in our side for long enough. Fire everything... and kill her.”

“...come in! Rolls! Please respond!”

The desperation in her captain’s voice roused Commander Rollyn Bracket from where she lay dazed on the deck. It was dark, the only light in the room coming from a small, crackling fire in the corner and a few electronic devices that miraculously still worked. Several other bodies were scattered about, unconscious… or dead. The faceplate of her skinsuit was cracked and splotched with red, and she felt a distinct wetness running down her face. And why does everything looks so flat?

She tried to push herself off the ground with her arms, but only one would respond, and she gasped in horror as she realised why. Frantically she looked around, straining the one eye that still seemed to work, but to no avail.

“Engineering, please respond!” the terrified soprano was in her ears again. “Captain to engineering…”

“I’m… I’m here,” she began, then cried out in pain at the stabbing pain in her lungs. Just how many ribs had she broken? Shaking her head, fighting back the tears, she tried again: “T-This is Bracket. You… you needed me captain?”

“Oh, thank god,” Archer exhaled in relief. “We need the engines back, Rolls. The Doomfist is pounding us, and if we can’t move soon…”

“Just… just give me a moment,” the engineer wheezed, forcing herself upright and to her feet. “I just need… I just need… oh god, I can’t find my arm…”

“Rolls, please, hurry...” the voice was a whisper now. “The ship needs you… I need you…”

With a groan Bracket stumbled over to a console in the wall, flashing red with warning messages. Her mind was a haze of red pain, but she saw, and understood.

The main reaction feed had been destroyed in the explosion, sealed off automatically when it vented several hundred standard cubic meters of burning plasma into a cargo hold full of supplies instead of the ship’s exhaust pipe. The automatic shunt had somehow failed as well, but there was an electromechanical switch thankfully in the same room, mounted in the wall several meters away, that would hopefully do it.

Another explosion rocked the ship, and she fell over with a sharp cry. It took several seconds to pull herself back up, stifling a sob, and then she hobbled slowly in the needed direction, counting off slowly to keep her mind off the agony that seemed to grow with each step. Three… one… four… one… five… nine… two… six… five… three… five...

The switch was right in front of her now, and she reached up with her right arm and pulled down.

It wouldn’t budge.

Shaking violently, she pulled harder and harder, even as the fire burned in her ribs. Come on, old girl…  let me save you… we have to help each other… She raised a foot and pressed it against the wall, then the other, bring her entire body weight to bear on the problem. Her arm strained, her muscles howled in protest…

And the switch gave way.

She did it!

Artemis Archer felt the chains of despair fall away from her heart as the ship’s engines came to life again, active readouts flashing on her monitor. They could move again - they had a chance, after all.

But only one chance, she reminded herself, as the display showed the enemy cruiser’s overload wear off and its guns return to life again. If it decided to close, there would be no running away from it, not in the shape her vessel was in. It was do or die, now - only one of them would walk away from this.

“Prepare to level off and flush racks,” she said, her voice harsh, eyes hard as diamonds. “Stand by to execute on my mark.”

“Aye, ma’am,” Diamond acknowledged, and as his hands flew over his console he could feel her fury in his soul as well. All they had to do was wait for the enemy to make the only move possible, and…

“Now!”

The Dominator kicked in its burn drive and bore down like a charging rhino, Hellbores firing as quickly as they could bear. Half a dozen 51-centimeter cannon rounds streaked through space at the PLS Valiant, ready to smash her shield flat and break her once and for all.

Until she went to maximum thrust and sped up and out of the line of fire, the devastatingly powerful shells flying past behind her. She did what was still known among atmospheric pilots as an Immelmann, facing down her foe once more, and a full dozen Harpoons flew off their racks in a screaming hail while hypervelocity penetrators and phase beams crossed the distance between them to tear into their hated foe.

EMP arcs flashed along the hard, tan bow, shorting out already half-blind targeting systems and turning point defense weapons into so much deadweight. The missiles converged on their target, swarming through the scattershot MG fire coming to meet them, and tore into the cruiser’s breached armor as one.

Explosions rippled across a hundred meters of hull, secondaries gutting countless ship compartments, and then the DMS Doomfist was blown into dust and ashes as its fusion chamber let go.
[close]

Epilogue
Spoiler
Captain Artemis Archer, Persean League Navy stood in her civvies, gazing out from her 27th floor hotel room at the morning sun. Carda’s bright G4 rays reflected on the shimmering city spires, a symbol of the subsector’s potential with its shackles gone.

She rubbed her right shoulder uneasily. The doctors had done a good job of fixing her joint, but it’d only been three days ago, and she still wasn’t quite used to having her arm back and free again; the very first day she’d broken a glass in quite a spectacular fashion. It was still a little sore, too.

But for all that - her expression turned morose - at least it could be fixed. All too many of her people were beyond fixing.

She’d lost twenty-one of her crew in that fateful final battle, in addition to Kauffman on Mazic and sixteen other Marines on Port Ikonia - a full fifth of those who’d set out with her to Marenos three months ago. Several thousand more civilians and security personnel had perished in the various battles around the subsector, and she could only wonder how many livelihoods had been buried in the wreckage. There’d been no shortage of time to count, no paucity of nightmares awaiting her in the dark since the PLS Valiant had limped into port as a mangled half-wreck three weeks ago.

It’s alright. It’s over now. It’s over…

A chime sounded behind her, and she turned around. “Come in,” she called out, then startled at the sight of the tall, dark figure who appeared as the door slid open. Her right hand came up in an awkward, crooked salute, even as she cursed herself for doing it so badly. If her Academy instructors found out...

The man chuckled. “At ease, Captain,” Rear Admiral Bernard Slater said gently. “If anything, I should be the one saluting you. There’s no way we can fully reward you for everything you’ve accomplished out here, but I promise we’ll try our best.”

“Thank you, sir,” she said in a low voice, lowering her hand. “They say you’ve brought the crisis to an end.”

“Decisively. The three task groups of TF22 converged on Vaas eleven days ago and annihilated the pirates’ nest in an afternoon of stand-up fighting. The occupation forces in the captured systems are similarly being rolled up, and the couple that we still haven’t gotten around to yet are already negotiating a withdrawal. For all intents and purposes, not just the Dominion but the pirate threat in the Marenos subsector is finished. And it’s all thanks to you.”

She flushed. “I can’t possibly dream of taking all the credit, Admiral. It was only possible because I had a splendid crew, and...” though it galled her to admit it, “the help of the Armed & Reckless.

“Ah, yes,” he murmured, the corners of his wide mouth twitching. “Miss Adela Sybitz and her merry band of pirates. It’s too bad she seems to have disappeared; she seems like quite the character. I would very much have liked to meet her.”

Wince. “You don’t, Admiral. Trust me on this.”

He grinned, then shook his head before going on. “As for Quasar Industries, we’ve discovered a whole treasure trove with the help of your friend General Manager Lain, and half the suits in the local division are turning state’s evidence in a desperate attempt to save their own skins. CEO Skilleton is in custody and will be turned over to the local governments for trial.” His face was hard, now. “I expect they’ll draw lots on who gets to hang him first.”

“I thought you didn’t approve of capital punishment, sir.”

“I don’t. But sometimes, it becomes awfully tempting to make an object lesson of those who abuse their lofty positions to trample upon others.” The admiral looked away for a moment, breathing slowly, then turned back to her. “Anyway, we’ve also made it abundantly clear to the Quasar board that we will brook no retaliation of any kind against you and your crew, or the people of Marenos. The League has ways of making its displeasure… acutely known.”

“And Sekos? What do we do with them?”

“That’s an open problem, yes.” He frowned. “They weren’t involved in Skilleton’s piracy thing - I think they wouldn’t have been happy if they’d found out - so the most we can accuse them off is being yet another bunch of totalitarian thugs. There are some who’ve been calling for the Navy to hammer them flat, but most of us realise how easy it is to make things even worse that way. Still, we should be able to turn the cranks hard enough on them to dissuade them from any more mass shootings, at least. And without their Quasar sugar daddies backing them up now, let's just say they'll soon be running up against the limits of the jackboot in dealing with dissidents.”

“What about Mr. Arrastia and his men… and for that matter, Mir?”

“Felipe Arrastia and his followers have requested asylum in the League. We’re still processing their applications, but I don’t foresee any trouble. As for that kid of yours,” he smiled, and she felt her cheeks heat up again, “don’t worry. He’s already an official League citizen, and we’ll find a good foster home for him.”

The admiral snapped to attention and saluted her. “All things considered, it’s not the best possible outcome, but no-one could have done better than you did. Good work, AA. We’ll make sure the contributions of you and your crew are properly recognized as soon as we get back. Your ship’s taking you home for a well-deserved rest in two days.”

“Thank you, sir,” she said, her eyes suddenly misty. “I… I’m just glad to be going home.”

“Of course. Goodbye, Captain, and see you back at Fleet Command.”

Slater dropped his arm and started to turn away, then abruptly stopped and faced her again. “One more thing, Captain,” he said, his voice suddenly tense. “I… reviewed the logs of your battle with the Doomfist. Specifically, some behaviors you exhibited near the end.” His eyes narrowed. “I think you’ve been... keeping secrets from us.”

Archer gasped. “Admiral, I…”

“No, don’t apologize. It’s not your error… it’s ours.” He stared at the floor for a few moments, before forcing himself to look his former tactical officer in the eye. “If there’s anyone who knew what you went through, who should have thought to check up on you, it was me. I should have, and I didn’t. The Navy failed you, and I failed you, AA. I’m sorry.”

“Admiral… Uncle Bernard…”

“Listen,” he said softly, putting her hands on her shoulders. “We may have let you suffer in silence all this while, but not any longer. No more secrets. As soon as we get back, you’re going to get a psychiatrist and you’re going to work with him to deal with your inner demons. Understood?”

“I…” She shook herself, then nodded. “Understood, sir.”

“Good girl.” He smiled again. “Well then, I’m sure you still have plenty of sightseeing to do for the next two days. Enjoy yourself, Captain.”

Two days later Artemis was staring wistfully out another window, this time not at a cityscape but at the panorama of the stars in the distance. The port lounge was empty except for her, as she stood in silence with a travel bag slung over her shoulder, only a few inches of plastiglass separating her from the void.

How long would it be before she could sail those stars again? She knew that after what Slater had said to her that day, it would be a long time indeed before they’d even consider putting her back on a ship. She’d be stuck in one desk job or another while the shrinks worked on her, left to reminiscence about all the adventures she’d had, the memories that she was now about to leave behind. Meanwhile the Valiant would go to some other captain, someone who’d never truly know what the old bird had gone through here in Marenos. The stars of the Sector would continue their slow drift around the galaxy, planets in tow, shining brightly as ever...

“Hey,” a soft feminine voice behind her broke her reverie, and she turned around, eyes widening as she came face to face with a smiling Adela Sybitz.

“How did you get in here?”

The pirate shrugged. “Trade secret. Anyway, I heard you were going away, so I thought I’d show up to say goodbye and such.” She sighed softly. “We made a pretty good team, you know. I’m really going to miss you.”

“That makes one of us,” Archer said tartly. Then she looked away, shuffling uneasily on her feet. “Actually, back there in the battle against Holk… I guess you did save my life a second time. And my crew and my ship, too. So… thank you, again.” Turning back, glaring: “And if we ever catch you in an act of piracy again, we’ll blow your ship right out of space. Got that?”

“You’re so tsundere, AA.” Sybitz grinned, jabbing the older woman in the shoulder. “Relax. I couldn’t rob these people after everything I’ve done for them. Actually, I have a couple of ideas of what I’m going to do after this. Something I’ll be comfortable telling my grandkids about. Maybe we’ll meet again someday - without you having cause to kill me on the spot, that is.”

“...Maybe.”

They were standing side by side now, looking out into the vast beyond. The sun was rising over the edge of the planet Hévíz now, glowing a brilliant yellow, the heralding of a dawn after the long night.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Adela said softly.

“Yeah.” Artemis whispered, eyes shimmering. “It is.”
[close]

Author's notes
Spoiler
Thanks for reading all this way, everyone! I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did :) Please, don't be afraid to leave any suggestions for improvement.

I plan to do a sequel eventually, but I have other projects that I've put off for too long already, so it'll have to wait. Nevertheless, I hope to have more writing for you sometime!
[close]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:31:39 AM by Histidine »

Scuttlebutt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »

Here's a request: make an epub version! But that's only because I like reading stuff like this as far away as possible from my screen with Calibre lol. I just finished Ch. 1 and this seems like my cup of tea. Thanks for all the hard work.

PS. Soooo glad I got into this late and already finished. I don't know how you guys can handle the suspense of waiting. Waiting for SS to finish is bad enough lol.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 02:40:38 PM »

PS. Soooo glad I got into this late and already finished. I don't know how you guys can handle the suspense of waiting. Waiting for SS to finish is bad enough lol.

The secret is lots of practice. ;)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 06:38:48 AM »

Here's a request: make an epub version! But that's only because I like reading stuff like this as far away as possible from my screen with Calibre lol.
Hmm. I tried, but I canna get the formatting to work  :(

Well, here's an .odt and a .pdf anyway, maybe they'll work for you.

Scuttlebutt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »

Thanks! I just finished it and it read like it was inspired by David Weber's On Basilisk Station. Heh, maybe dev can package this along with SS once it ships like how Egosoft packaged decent fanfictions back in X2: The Threat.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »

Beautiful.  Nice job wrapping it up, very well written =)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:27 AM »

Went back and fixed a whole lotta typos with the help of Scuttlebutt. I wonder how many people noticed "dove into the fry" (man, I'll never live that one down) or "Try-Tachyon" (giggle).

Beautiful.  Nice job wrapping it up, very well written =)
Thanks!

Thanks! I just finished it and it read like it was inspired by David Weber's On Basilisk Station.
You're not the first to notice an Honorverse connection  :) Though I should probably note that while the basic premise is actually rather similar (female starship captain with way too much on her plate manages to get it done anyway, builds a rapport with the locals, uncovers a foreign plot to subvert the local system, and saves the day in a final space battle despite being massively outgunned), I didn't have Basilisk specifically in mind when I wrote this.
Yeah, Weber's a big influence on this one, although I sure hope I didn't pick up too many of his pizza ordering skills lol.

Okay, the real reason I made this post was to announce that I've done a series of short missions based on the story:

Awesome flag of the Persean League by David, found in Starsector/graphics/factions

The Marenos Crisis - Missions
a.k.a. "Gameplay and Story Segregation: A Case Study"
Download

Four missions based on the events of this fanfic, plus one about the prequel A Battle's Lesson. See if you can do better than the original characters did.
(Let me know if you can save the Mule in "Enemy Mine," 'cause I sure can't!)

Thanks go to Tartiflette for the wormhole "planet," and Dark.Revenant whose arcade mission provided a handy guide for understanding ship spawning functionality!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:29:36 AM by Histidine »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »

Well, while the premise made me think about Honor, the development was much more like "Path of the Fury" (much MUCH better than any Honor Harrington book, and I loved most of them), spiced up with the same Manpower corporation.

If I may have a critic on the writing, I'd say it's a liiiitle bit too descriptive. By that I mean you keep interrupting the action with detailed description of what is happening. This leave not much room for imagination and break the flow of the reading. It looks like a script for a John Woo movie, were every action freeze in bullet time and even a blink need superlatives to describe how the sparkles of the last shot reflected in the captain's cold azure gaze, as her eyelashes graciously accompanied the movement of her hair waving from the recoil of the silver plated 18mm hand-made centuries old gun... I completely exaggerate  ;D but the point is sometimes we just don't need that much details to get the image. Especially for those like me that are used to read a lot, to whom these description are hardly completely new. Now this is a minor complain, and I'm certainly not saying never describe anything. It's just that you almost did it every time, witch made me skip over some bits in the last parts.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5