Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starsector ( Starsector_V0.6.2 RC 3 ) won't start, while MSI After. is running.  (Read 4402 times)

AMDAMK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Hi all to humans there still allive outside my home. :D
I hope I#m right here.

When i have MSI Afterburning running, Starsector won't start. There's only a entry in my taskamanager's with starsector, but nothing happens. It start only, when MSI AB isn't running. I mean, it's not super important, because of the most time, MSI is not running, but may be, it is bug or something else..

I think, it's doesn't matter, but here are my PC spezification:
  • Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
  • Installed 8,00GB RAM
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

An then, i have another question, but this is not the thread for this..

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm, so even the launcher doesn't show up? That's weird; the launcher doesn't even use any graphics acceleration.

In any case, thanks for the heads up - not sure there's anything I can do about this, but I'll keep an eye out.

AMDAMK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Yep, not even the launcher appeared.

it's not important in my eye... to start the game, shut down the MSI AB and then start again the game and it works. Maybe another person in a later time would have this problem, and don't know, what to do, so you can fix this, but, i think, there's no priojority to fix them, i think, less then 1% people are playing starsector with MSI AB.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks for your understanding.

(It'll be interesting to see if someone else with MSI AB has the same issue - might even be something specific to your setup, so won't necessarily show up for everyone with it.)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia

I use MSI Afterburner and do not have this issue.  Perhaps it is one of your settings in that program?

AMDAMK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Maybe. I think, i don't have change the settings. I have it used only by starsector to show me the FPS in the loadingscreen - which are 0.1. And take damn long to load... Annoying.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Do you have any other OpenGL games? You might want to try testing it with them, as far as MSI AB is concerned SS is just another OpenGL app. You may need to update MSI afterburner and your drivers to the latest.

OhNoesBunnies

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Weird that I'm having the exact same problem.

Game won't start. Not even a launcher.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Weird that I'm having the exact same problem.

Game won't start. Not even a launcher.

(Do you also have MSI Afterburner? If not, this doesn't seem like the same problem.)

That aside, sorry about the trouble! Can you try running the game by double-clicking the "starsector.bat" file that's under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core"? That *should* work; there have been some cases of the .exe refusing to run on particular system configurations, and we haven't been able to track it down just yet. Please let me know how it goes.