Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: question - mods  (Read 4676 times)

omatkoicorko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
question - mods
« on: September 17, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »

hi,

im new to community and to the game, i like it very much, but it lack a living space.

could tell me please which mod in your opinion is the best when it comes to fill this empty space ?

regards.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: question - mods
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »

I would suggest either Okim's Ironclads TC for its entirely integrated package, including trading/mining, or Uomoz's sector for best of vanilla mods compilation.

I also really like starsector+, but it is much closer to vanilla and doesn't add as much 'life' if I've guessed how you're using the term correctly.  I do think it has the best skill changes though.

omatkoicorko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »

correct, space too empty imo.

thanks for you post, im checking now Uomoz's, but im getting save load error, even when i changed all files as Uomoz said.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »

Get starsector plus, and play the arcade mode map. There are multiple bosses, power ups, enemy types. It has a great deal of life including levelled fleets, the best graphics enhancement package using modern shaders, and the best and most polished mod faction fleets are supported for deeper integration.

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »

correct, space too empty imo.

thanks for you post, im checking now Uomoz's, but im getting save load error, even when i changed all files as Uomoz said.

Did you download LazyLib? a large number of mods in for the game require it to run. in pretty sure Uomoz's Sector requires it so make sure you have it installed :)

As for best mods, have a scroll though the forums and see which mods take your fancy. there isnt TOO many of them so it doesnt take all that long and the install process is so simple that its super easy to take mods for a quick test-run.
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

omatkoicorko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:49:28 AM »

starsector plus ? i will try it thanks!

yes, i have this mod from very beginning, i think that when i used quick save (F5) i couldnt load save, but when i save it normally, i was able to load game.

yes i have seen all mods, there is index also, but im not able to test them all, that why im asking. and game is amazing already so such mod just add more and more. 

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:16:47 AM »

Most mods now require Lazylibs and Shaderlib to properly work, so use them. I you don't have a very good computer, i recommend you using Shaderlib basic edition. Also you might need to modify your vmparams files to avoid some saving/loading problems (explanation on the Uomoz mod front page)

For the mods themselves, Ironclads is probably the oldest Total conversion and without a doubt the most complete. If you want something a bit different than Starsector.

Uomoz's sector isn't a total conversion but it change quite a bit the gameplay. Supplies are much more expensive and nearly everyone will want your blood, in some way it feel like a Pirate simulator. If you have some trouble playing the original Starsector game, i don't recommend you this mod, it's hard as nail.

Starsector + is a mod that re-balance some elements of the original game, add some new ships and weapons and properly integrate other factions mod. It's pretty much the same as the original Starsector, just with more stuffs. You'll have to separately download other factions to have them in game though.

Blackrock Drive Yards is probably one of the most popular mod faction on the forum and for good reasons. BRDY is a high-tech faction with an emphasis on high mobility and powerful alpha strikes.

Exigency Incorporated is another high-tech faction that rely on their weird technology (no shields, they use repulsors fields instead) and are very good at slowly grinding the enemy fleet to death with their missile spam. They are probably one of the weirdest faction to play and may appear weak at first glance.

Interstellar Imperium is a mid-tech faction with extremely slow and sturdy ships that rely on long range fight, they also have cruiser sized missiles.

The Knights Templars are a very high-tech NPC faction that fill the role of end-game boss. It's usually best to ignore them until you amass a fleet that can steamroll without too much effort the Hegemony system defense fleet.

The Junk Pirates are a low-tech faction, probably one of the oldest faction mod in the forum. They play very similarly to the vanilla pirates ships.

Shadowyards Heavy Industries is a high-tech faction with a wide variety of ships for every roles. They play a bit like the Tri-tachyons from the original game with more fancy tricks.

The Mayorate is a mid/high-tech faction that work in a similar way to Blackrock with good mobility and lot of guns.

SCY is a mid-tech pseudo-pirate faction. They rely on their good mobility and extreme firepower. They have paper armor though and if they can't kill their target quickly, they're in big trouble. They also have a lot of funky weapons.

Tore Up Plenty is a mod that add a wide variety of different ships, most of them are modified variants from vanilla ships. Have a clear emphasis on low-tech crafts.

Neutrino corp is a very high-tech faction with very powerful (and expensive) ships. One of Neutrino's trademark is their extremely strong but small shield. Have been considered overpowered for a while.

Citadel is a mid/high-tech mercenary faction with efficient and fast ships. A bit expensive though.

PACK is a low-tech faction with inexpensive, smaller ships. As their name suggest, they become much more dangerous in large group.

Project Valkyrie is a mid-tech faction that emphasize on slow, giant, over-armed ships. Considered a bit overpowered though.

The Gedune is a faction with med/high-tech ships with smaller ships but good mobility and pretty brutal firepower. Currently their station doesn't sell their own ships so they are more like a NPC faction.

The Nomads are a low-tech faction with mostly built-in weapons. Their ships are some of the best close range brawlers in the game, a bit too strong maybe.

I volunterly forgot some factions (P9, Thule Legacy...) are they are currently in a non-playable state. Otherwise, here some very useful utility mod.

Common radar mod that add a radar in combat and in the campaign screen.

Omnifactory is a very useful mod that add a green station in Corvus. When you drop weapons and ships in it, it will disassemble them and will start producing those. Very good when you want to mass-produce some specific ships.

omatkoicorko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:55:03 AM »

wow thank you! now i have to check all of them :P nice work that gives me some idea which mod to use

do you think that i can use Hiigaran mod with ironclad ? Uomoz'z is maybe not hard but lack of supplies makes it annoying. and yes everyone wants to kill me

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »

Ironclads is a total conversion, other mods won't work with it (aside from common radar maybe?).

Also, Hiigaran mod still work? I thought it was outdated...

omatkoicorko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »

it is working, new version just came out.

yhh so adding new fraction wont work :(

edit: also hiigarans is a must
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:05:04 AM by omatkoicorko »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »

it is working, new version just came out.

yhh so adding new fraction wont work :(

edit: also hiigarans is a must
His last update was in January of this year where he updated it to work with the latest SS version
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »

Most mods now require Lazylibs and Shaderlib to properly work, so use them. I you don't have a very good computer, i recommend you using Shaderlib basic edition. Also you might need to modify your vmparams files to avoid some saving/loading problems (explanation on the Uomoz mod front page)

For the mods themselves,
-snip-

What? No Project Batavia, HELMUT? ??? For shame. For shame.  ::)

Project Batavia adds a huge spacestation and vanilla balanced faction to the Corvus system that spaws the faction's fleets and sells the faction's ships and weapons.

Zorg: basically, if you want a Borg inspired faction to threaten the sector, add this mod to your list.

omatkoicorko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:27:02 AM »

thanks all, there is much to check now :o now i have to find best mod for me :)