Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Mojang  (Read 5753 times)

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Mojang
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:11:18 AM »

So what're everyone's thoughts on the sale of Mojang to Microsoft?

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=tumblr

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Mojang
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:25:20 AM »

Well, the company was bought for 2.5 Billion. And Notch was still the majority shareholder.

So I am very happy that a fellow indie game person who also seems like a nice guy has hit it VERY big. Hopefully he will kick it forward for other projects and support the open web.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »

Yes, we're being bought by TriTachyon!

Fractal Softworks is being bought by TriTachyon Corporation.

Yes, the deal is real, and the credits have been transferred to Alex's numbered account at the Bank of Jangala. I have it on good authority that Alex personally gave a quick thumbs-up as he rushed to his personal shuttle to dock with the new Odyssey-class ship which recently appeared in parking orbit. That's right, the one with the red stripes and skull on the side. I'm sure his retirement will be relaxing.

Please remain calm during this transitional period! That sound you hear is a team of TriTachyon Acquisitions Marines securing the datacores of Fractal Softworks for assimilation into the TriTachyon data net. Don't worry, they are professionals, and the breaching charges are being deployed in a highly controlled manner.

Human assets of Fractal Softworks will be transfered shortly to the auxiliary bays for processing. We shall each have our contract reviewed, and if found to add value to TriTachyon's operations, transferred to TriTachyon facilities via the waiting shuttles so that we may all contribute our uniqueness to the TriTachyon family of brands! (I have my fingers crossed for the TriPad division, perhaps you can put in a good word with the TriTachyon Acquisitions Processing Manager?)

Please leave your personal items in your work-pod. They are now property of TriTachyon Corporation. The former Fractal Softworks offices of Hab Ring D, sector 42, will likely be declared redundant, depressurized, and leased to Port Authority to store overflow bulk ammonia ice. It's better this way.

We all look forward to Building a Brighter Future with TriTachyon Corporation!

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »

I, for one, welcome our new technologically inclined overlords.

But since I'm technically the founder of a very hostile alien race, it might be best if I pressed this big red button.

bang!

As far Mojang, I don't care awfully much about the company - but I'm very interested to see what Notch and co might get up to next, and if his next project will become even close to as popular as Minecraft. Although I doubt that for the most part.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »

About time.

Surely TriTachyon have the financial muscle to finally deliver those long-awaited STARSECTOR branded mugs to the market, and we can all get on with our lives!?

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »

I think you guys might want to check out here if you haven't already.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »

The thing that interests me about this is what it means for Minecraft. Will it continue development? Or will Microsoft begin working on a more professional Minecraft 2? There's nothing about their plans known yet, is there?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:45:18 PM »

The thing that interests me about this is what it means for Minecraft. Will it continue development? Or will Microsoft begin working on a more professional Minecraft 2? There's nothing about their plans known yet, is there?

Yep, they'll use the brand to create a Windows Phone/Xbone/Windows 8 exclusive 'Minecraft 2'.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:31:20 PM »

Well, the company was bought for 2.5 Billion. And Notch was still the majority shareholder.

So I am very happy that a fellow indie game person who also seems like a nice guy has hit it VERY big. Hopefully he will kick it forward for other projects and support the open web.

I think he sold his 71% share to Microsoft specifically, meaning he's no longer a part of it.

*snip*
 I'm very interested to see what Notch and co might get up to next, and if his next project will become even close to as popular as Minecraft. Although I doubt that for the most part.

Quote from: Notch
If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.
Hopefully he's not serious, but yeah...

Yep, they'll use the brand to create a Windows Phone/Xbone/Windows 8 exclusive 'Minecraft 2'.

Not officially known, but that's the general assumption. Though I seriously doubt they could even make a minecraft 2, the idea isn't something that makes itself available to sequels/prequels. At most I could see a timed exclusivity kind of thing for updates to Xbone/PC/Windows Phone

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 06:26:54 AM »

I think he sold his 71% share to Microsoft specifically, meaning he's no longer a part of it.

Ah, yes, thats what I meant. But 71% of 2.5 Billion is a decent chunk of change...

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 07:39:23 AM »

Someone ought to show Notch (and his wallet) Starsector! Maybe he would buy a few (100) keys to throw around on twitter to help support Alex. Ought to...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 07:15:45 AM »

Though I seriously doubt they could even make a minecraft 2, the idea isn't something that makes itself available to sequels/prequels. At most I could see a timed exclusivity kind of thing for updates to Xbone/PC/Windows Phone

Not a sequel, but a remake on a much more solid physics/graphics base, with proper in-world guidance (as oposed to wikis), would interest me a lot. Not that I would expect MS to pull that off without watering down the core idea.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »

I think it means Microsoft was extremely interested in the Minecraft name and IP; that kind of price tag will be hard to justify without additional games. 

Does that mean Minecraft will be immediately abandoned?  Probably not.

Does that mean a Minecraft 2 exclusive to MS platforms is likely?  Depends on money.

Does it mean Minecraft 2 will suck?  It's always been an open question about where it could go that would not alienate the current fanbase while finding appeal with a lot of other gamers.

Does that mean Notch will never make another cool game?  To be honest... who knows?  If you've ever bothered hunting down his old games, you'd know what I mean; Notch likes being really, really far out on limbs, and chances are that his future games are going to be pure niche stuff, if he even stays in the business.

At any rate, I hope that Notch gave the Mojang staff some of the stock, so that they all got a piece of that action; without the other guys at Mojang helping out, I doubt if Minecraft would have become the global phenomenon it did.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

superhotdogzz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »

Not officially known, but that's the general assumption. Though I seriously doubt they could even make a minecraft 2, the idea isn't something that makes itself available to sequels/prequels. At most I could see a timed exclusivity kind of thing for updates to Xbone/PC/Windows Phone

When I was a kid, I thought those company could figured that out. Well, later on I found they only want money. I don't know, maybe they can figure that out. But sometimes they can be greedy and slow at the same time. Who knows, maybe the market are even slower than the company are.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:28:38 PM by superhotdogzz »