Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Sector Battles: Tournament  (Read 67877 times)

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sector Battles: Tournament [Round 2]
« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2014, 04:57:33 AM »

Well I've realised I made a big mistake :(
For some reason I thought it'd be good to buy a command point last round. Turns out it was a really, really bad idea. Oh well.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2014, 05:43:03 AM »

HELMUT's fleet is completely disgusting. ;D

Farseer, you shouldnt be fielding elite brdy ships without an adequate meatshield. Since it's AI vs AI, if you are gonna use a Desdinova you better have something that can get to the front line before it does, or it's going to get surrounded and destroyed.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »

Thaago vs Farlazia:

Farlazia wouldn't have been wrecked that hard if his ships had a proper weapon loadout. Probably the least dangerous looking Templar ships i've seen. Thaago's Tempests were surprisingly deadly.

Valkyrial vs me:

"Enforcer stronk! Enforcer don't care about nerf! Enforcer crush puny little ships with his bare hands!"

Still, if it wasn't for my stupid fleet, Valk would have wrecked quite a lot of opponents.

Midnight Kitsune vs Kazi:

Del Azarchel can't aim! Not much kazi can do against that though. Alastores are damn good.

Tartiflette vs Foxer:

Short shield arc killed your frigates Foxer, extended shield arc and resistant flux conduit could have won you the game. Also Tart's graviton beam coupled with ion weaponry were a good idea to immobilize the slippery Conduits. With all his Atlases, Tart's gonna get scary next round...

Chaos Farseer vs MesoTroniK:

Best fight of the tournament so far. The Irithia became so terrifying with its ship teleporter, those Nevemore captains must have crapped themselves. Surprised by how good the Scorpion is, that thing appear to be one of the best line ship of Blackrock as well as the entire game.

The Exi frigates were underwhelming though, funny when we know why Debido have been disqualified... You should invest in big ships Meso.

Dark.Revenant vs Cycerin:

Slow fleet of small-ish ships against its hard-counter of numerous, mobile crafts. No wonder II got wrecked hard.

sirboomalot vs MShadowy:

Yakety Sax! Honestly sirboomalot would have won if his Side-cars had a better weapon loadout. Sabot missiles? Cluster bombs? Who use those thing nowadays?

Darloth vs DM818:

Those Paragons may be the best brawler in the entire tournament, four Joyeuses per ship is big deal. Personally i never use beams weaponry on phase ship but that Scylla was surprisingly okay, would have been murderous against low-tech frigates.

It would fun to have those tournament battle as missions in the future, could be fun.

By the way Thaago, you're next.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2014, 07:48:53 AM »

Oooh i'm not out yet HELMUT, imah wreck my way through the loser bracket and come right back up to you! 8)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »

My tournament flag, behold:

DM818

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »

I must say I don't fear shadowy's fleet very much now but I certainly respect his Charybdis for its absolute destruction of dozens of sidecars.  I am however not convinced by his solidarity destroyers.

Personally i never use beams weaponry on phase ship but that Scylla was surprisingly okay, would have been murderous against low-tech frigates.

That Scylla was annoying is what it was especially since my paragon didn't seem to want to use its joyouse while the phase ship was venting.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:39:16 AM by DM818 »

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2014, 08:59:53 AM »

In my tests my ships did surprisingly ok, they were based around long range complete anti missle and fighter, and able to melt lower tech ships in seconds. They were not the most well balanced, but from the fleet designs I had been hearing glimps of, and looking at the enemy factions, I thought it was worth a risk. Looking at some of the enemy fleets, I feel fairly confident I could have put a serious hole in some of them.
But I agree, my layouts weren't really the best, but I'd like to argue you didn't see them at there best either.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »

I seem to remember the Enforcer being identified as ridiculously OP (for its base RP cost) long ago in the first AIvAI forum game.
Couple it with dubiously balanced faction perks plus a borderline broken missile, and it's no surprise to see it dominate here too. :D

Though 3xmauler? HELMUT was that to give your opponents the illusion of hope? :)
I can't help thinking 2xmauler + 1xHAC (or HVD) would have been more effective.

Oh and Dark.Revenant, for publicity you should put a link to the mod(s?) being run in the tournament.
People will be much more willing to go through the hassle of installing mods when they see a video of the cool stuff they're missing out on!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:57:47 AM by TJJ »

DM818

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2014, 09:13:36 AM »

I seem to remember the Enforcer being identified as ridiculously OP (for its base RP cost) long ago in the first AIvAI forum game.
It was very good but the first one had a lot more small ships so it is difficult to compare the 5 frigates vs capital ships.  Those missile are very good though.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2014, 09:31:06 AM »

Though 3xmauler? HELMUT was that to give your opponent's the illusion of hope? :)
I can't help thinking 2xmauler + 1xHAC (or HVD) would have been more effective.

Originally i didn't needed kinetic weaponry, that role was filled by the Ion Torpedo. My tactic was to break the shields with the torpedoes, scrap the armor as quick as possible with the Maulers and let the rest of Torpedoes massive frag damage finish the job.

Before the nerf i just atomized Valk's Hegemony fleet before the 2 minute mark despite his fleet being one of the strongest of the tournament. Hence it was nerfed and i can't change my Enforcers loadout anymore.

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »

MesoTroniK, that Irithia is terrifying. Stop kidnapping people's ships! It's rude.  ;D

Farseer, you shouldnt be fielding elite brdy ships without an adequate meatshield. Since it's AI vs AI, if you are gonna use a Desdinova you better have something that can get to the front line before it does, or it's going to get surrounded and destroyed.
Yeah, that's a good point. I'll play around with that. I wasn't having much luck with Gonodactylus variants earlier, but maybe I just didn't have enough of them. Thanks!
Or I could get a Karkinos!
In my tests my ships did surprisingly ok, they were based around long range complete anti missle and fighter, and able to melt lower tech ships in seconds. They were not the most well balanced, but from the fleet designs I had been hearing glimps of, and looking at the enemy factions, I thought it was worth a risk. Looking at some of the enemy fleets, I feel fairly confident I could have put a serious hole in some of them.
But I agree, my layouts weren't really the best, but I'd like to argue you didn't see them at there best either.
Well, perhaps a fight with Valkyrial's Enforcers will be a good demo. How's your fleet turn out if you face one of those frigate fleets?

Amusingly, regardless of whether Dark.Revenant or I win our next fight, we have to prepare to face a frigate spam fleet afterwards, and I don't think either of us are ready for that.

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »

I think I'll lose, but if I hadn't messed up I'd have a second paladin next round. as is, I'm 3.5 RP from it. have to grab one next round.

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »

Ouch. That hurts. Ask for a refund? You could really use the extra Paladin.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »

I must say I don't fear shadowy's fleet very much now but I certainly respect his Charybdis for its absolute destruction of dozens of sidecars.  I am however not convinced by his solidarity destroyers.

The Solidarity's performed their task.  That task being a Speedbump; it's right there in the variant actually.  "Speedbump."  Considering that they're armed freighters, essentially equivalent to a Mule, they did as well I had hoped.

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 11, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »

Not going to ask for a refund, I simply should have payed attention and planned ahead.
If I don't lose the next round I'll be able to get my fleet back on track, but due to this I don't think I will.
Either way, we'll see, and it'll be good fun in the process! :D
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18