Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dreadnoughts/Super-carriers  (Read 21936 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dreadnoughts/Super-carriers
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 10:34:51 AM »

From a development standpoint, if we made a bigger capital ship the very first thing a modder is going to do is say "I bet I can make a bigger one!" - which, of course, is totally cool for modders to do and it's always fun seeing ridiculously crazy things being done.

I don't think our efforts on vanilla Starsector would gain anything from engaging in a ship size arms race but rather making the world deeper and more interesting to give the ships that exist more meaning so their 'narrative size', if you will, to grow. Like, I'm interested in where the Buffalo class hull comes from, what's it's used for, what every faction does with it, and what that means to the future of the Sector and how that interacts with the player's perception of all of the above.

(Also from an artistic direction standpoint, the biggest capital ships are the size they are to be reasonably sized sprites at the default zoom range on relatively modest monitors, and to work reasonably with the existing 2D armour/damage/weapon range mechanics.)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »

I do imagine, however, that some stations are larger than any ship.  Whenever station battles come into being, certain issues with large ships will need to be addressed, I think.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 11:27:09 AM »

I couldn't possibly comment on that subject.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »

You can't comment on those space station sprites you made, and we've all seen?   ;D

Anyway Nothing would really be gained from a size arms race unless the balancing is levelled out so that capitals are economically as viable as frigates or destroyers. Capitals,are just credit burning hanger queens. Following the current balance model Supercaps simply wouldn't be fielded as anything more than a novelty for one combat round - then discarded.

I hope that the code I made goes into making more fun and interesting designs, and I very much hope some space stations are created with it. I gathered from the parts in the stations folder that you made that Alex was planning on using multiple combat entities / collisions bounds to create space stations. I should ask him what bugs he ran into as it appears to be 99% bug free without alteration. Certainly there are design restrictions, but bugs? Nothing major yet.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 01:50:29 PM »

You can't comment on those space station sprites you made, and we've all seen?   ;D

Pretty sure those are, uh, weather balloons? Yeah.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 01:18:21 AM »

Pretty sure those are, uh, weather balloons? Yeah.
And swamp gas! Don't forget the swamp gas!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

shlagito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2020, 08:13:55 AM »

Hello, could someone provide me a working mode with that Super Destroyer Hull ? (maybe a little reduced to be "kind of playable" but Still giant if possible)
I have no clues and no time for modding, and I don't know if this is possible/easy or hard to do, but that exactly what I need for my last game, kind of a supercruiser / superweapon looking like that !

thanks in advance for any answer !

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2020, 08:52:56 AM »

Holy thread necro, Batman!

That ship was almost certainly never implemented in the game, and may be technically impossible to ever implement due to the massive wad of VRAM it would eat up (let alone with GraphicsLib maps). Fortunately, if you simply M U S T have the longest space-dingus to whip out at the urinals, you can grab the Ship Editor and do it yourself in little to no time. Barring that, if you can't be bothered it's likely no one else can either.

You did make me laugh unbelievably hard, though; thanks for that.

shlagito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 08:52:10 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, I actually tried to do it myself while modifying a mod's hull, well it not turned well.

the Weapon mount, engines and everything was not saved from some reasons (even if I replaced properly the original . ship file) and the ship was shaped as the original hull I replaced ! so basically, only the modified texture file (with this ship), and States file (with name, ID and config) was taken in consideration, if you (or someone) got any tutorial to do a proper mode hull ship ? it would be helpful.

(also I reduced the ship picture size X2, to make it "less giant")

"have the longest space-dingus to whip out at the urinals" you killed me with this one  ;D

Do the ship editor allow me to put a whole new ship in the game ? by just adding a PNG and a .ship file in it ?, then just go to the game and type in the console "addship space_dingus_superdestroyer" ?

Sorry for my awkward English.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:06:15 AM by shlagito »

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »

if you (or someone) got any tutorial to do a proper mode hull ship ? it would be helpful.

This forum post : https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14905.0

Leads to this tutorial : https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Intro_to_Modding

shlagito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »

T
if you (or someone) got any tutorial to do a proper mode hull ship ? it would be helpful.

This forum post : https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14905.0

Leads to this tutorial : https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Intro_to_Modding

Thanks ! I hope there is not much scripting to do ! (if I come up with something which actually work maybe I could share it Here ? or no for copyright reasons of the Ship Design ?)

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2020, 09:52:10 AM »

Thanks ! I hope there is not much scripting to do ! (if I come up with something which actually work maybe I could share it Here ? or no for copyright reasons of the Ship Design ?)

I should have mentioned this first, I'll advise you to go to the following forum section:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0

Because it is the appropriate place to discuss modding. There you will find relevant discussions and resources about creating ships, copyright issues, and so on. Generally speaking sharing artwork without author/owner permission is a NOGO, but you should ask a more precise question in the modding section.

If you want to create a simple mod with one or more ship, you won't need to do any Java coding.  :)

shlagito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2020, 10:00:07 AM »

Allright, perfect ! problem solved I followed the tutorial, Now I can travel the galaxy with that super massive unplayable unbalanced supercruiser, that perfect ! thank you !

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2020, 02:44:13 PM »

This is going to sound like sarcasm, but I am genuinely delighted that this led to someone actually going and making the thing they wanted to exist in the game. That never happens.

shlagito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2020, 11:12:07 AM »

Yes, the whole HUD with weapon list take almost the whole screen sadly ...

I was thinking ... what about a mode that allow to built one of those for your galactic conquest, it would require you to find a lot of artefacts and tech from domain era around the galaxy, and allow a complete planet for the building of this ...
(it would cost a ridiculous amount of resources, and credits).

Anyway I have a lot of fun with it, this Dingusizer-stardestroyer is playable and it can even be beaten by a large fleet with sustained fire ... sometime. so that thing is overpowered but not invincible.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:41:14 AM by shlagito »
Pages: 1 2 [3]