Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for a coder.  (Read 3880 times)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
Looking for a coder.
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:56:16 AM »

(as topic title says)

Please send your resumes and/or your artistic portfolios via PM on my account.  ;D

On a serious note:

Hey guys,

Ive just realized that its "soon" gonna be almost two yeras since I last promised a ver. of my mod to be released and since then alot of stuff has changed in Starsector. Ive been having Zaphide do all the coding for me in the past, but sadly when he had the time to spare for modding, i didnt have time to finish and deliver my WIP of the mod and then, when I finally had it- Zaphiers MIA :(

So ive been wondering if any of you out there would help me put this thing together.  :)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a coder.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »

With the new Starsector update looming, it's probably best to wait for the release (this month?) as a lot of things will change with it. It'll be less work for the person that will code your mod rather than let him code for the current version and then for the next one.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »

I actually recommend learning how to code everything yourself. Although it takes awhile to learn the ins and outs, it's not that difficult and you have a new skill at the end of the day. This is coming from someone who had absolutely no coding experience when they started modding and learned as they went.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »

Sounds reasonable guys- but if I had to do it by myself, I would rather close the shop. Especially for the new update  - things are getting too complex and i dont have the skill, free time to sink into it. 

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:27:35 AM »

I started as a non coder and ended up becoming a ... Reasonably capable one. Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what aspects of code generation that you don't do. I mean far in the future I wouldn't mind doing a program or two that help generate the basics of the Java code required to get a faction running. Bespoke systems, weapons scripts, missions, AI and effects can be time consuming to test and balance and is not something that can be readily generated in comparison.

A WYSIWYG editor for system is a bit beyond my ability to code right now, but a simplistic command prompt program that can read in faction fleet ids wouldn't be that difficult.

Depends what you define as coding as well, editing csv, proj, wpn, json etc I wouldn't put under the umbrella of coding. They're just settings files that need only notepad++ and an idea what each element means.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »

Depends what you define as coding as well

I think I forgot all about star systém creation, but mainly about the faction spawns, fleet ratio spawns, convoy spawn points.. plus there was some stuff like giving rewards for defeating certain fleets..

Anyways, just like somebody else ont hese forums, the modding of htis game is becomming too much of a time sink, whichi dont have.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

Yeah, the factions spawns, fleet spawn ratios, spawn points etc. would be included in systems I guess and could most likely be generated to some degree. What else do you think could or should be generated at a basic level to assist modders get their faction into a game?

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »

I think I forgot all about star systém creation, but mainly about the faction spawns, fleet ratio spawns, convoy spawn points.. plus there was some stuff like giving rewards for defeating certain fleets..

Anyways, just like somebody else ont hese forums, the modding of htis game is becomming too much of a time sink, whichi dont have.
;D Wonder whom  :P
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »

In general - everything should be kept simple :)

By that I mean it should always be  clear on what it is your doing and what will it do ingame, or how to use the generated files/code.

But, creating soemhting like this seems like a difficult task, just considering that peepz, that would use it wouldnt know much about these,
say someone has a favourite faction, makes its own, but wants his faction to be spawning in the other mods systém - how would you tell the guy, where he needs to look for the specific systém entry is beyond me  :D depends on whether you wanned to "just" generate codes and tell modders where to put it, or generate specific files - or if you could somehow work with existing ones.

(To a newbie this is always gonna be a pain  :D)

As for what else is required - theGen files, spawnpoints, convoy spawns are all the basics you need, arent they ?  :)

Sry for my english, getting very rusty.

;D Wonder whom  :P

Heh, saw that comming a mile away!

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »

Well I'll keep in mind a generic code generator in future, but I have several other projects I'm attached to at the moment, and a couple that are fairly challenging for my fairly low Java skillz.