Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: the measure of a Han Solo ship  (Read 22340 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: the measure of a Han Solo ship
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »

The detail going into these arguments is amazing.

Soo... *throws some fuel on the fire* ... what would the best Boba Fett / Slave I equivalent if I was interested in bounty hunting? (Or is that another thread?)

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »

Soo... *throws some fuel on the fire* ... what would the best Boba Fett / Slave I equivalent if I was interested in bounty hunting? (Or is that another thread?)
Oh, Hyperion, definitely.  One-man crew, ridiculous speed and armament, don't care about anything else.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »

heh, I'd say Hyp or Wolf too, the sheer mobility (and the sense of dread when the hunter slowly catches up to you via blinks, even when you have the faster conventional drive)

The Hyp also has a pitiful cargo hold, not enough for any real amount of loot (except for prisoners, maybe?), thus making bounty hunting the only real way of making money for them

sidenote:
for some reason I always see the Hyp as straight outta an anime piloted by the heroes in an cockpit that looks almost exactly like this

mmm.... tartiflette

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »

For Slave I? I would tend to think something along the lines of a Wolf, Lasher, or Vigilence. Slave I's a modified police ship, not a full-fledged warship, and the Vigilence, as a purpose-built patrol ship, comes fairly close to that profile. The medium missile and medium energy mount don't really align that well with what we see of Slave I's armament, but that's not that much of an issue in my opinion. My second pick would be the Lasher, as it's a somewhat outdated warship that probably gets used for system patrol on a regular basis. Third place, in my opinion, goes to the Wolf. A Tempest might work, too, although it's not really the kind of ship you'd be wasting on system patrol duty, which was an intended role for the Firespray.

I personally do not feel that the Hyperion fits the description. It's too overtly a heavily-armed top-of-the-line combat frigate, and its cargo capacity is too low to allow it to be employed as a lone ship with any real effectiveness at any significant distance from a supply point. Its cargo holds enough supplies for a ~33 day round trip, but if you deploy it even once it'll demand half again what it can hold to recover to its pre-battle state even if it doesn't take damage. It is by far the most expensive frigate to deploy, costing 3 times more supplies to recover than the runners-up (the Tempest and the Omen, which each take 5 supplies to recover) before including any repair costs, and it's also the only frigate in the game, aside from the Ox, that cannot carry enough cargo to at least fully recover once. Even the Tempest and the Omen can carry enough supplies to fully recover from 6 deployments (neglecting crew costs, hull repairs, and non-recovery periods); the Hyperion can't even fully recover once. Worse, it takes two to four times longer for the Hyperion to recover than any of the other combat frigates require. This seems like an incredibly flawed vessel to use as a lone ship, even if you're only intending to use it for intermittent low-intensity combat. I could see a wealthy government using these, or perhaps a corporation trying to show off their wealth instead of their good sense, but without the backing of those kinds of resources and without available backup vessels (both for carrying the supplies to make any sort of extended expedition practical, and for providing cover should there be need of fighting at a time when the Hyperion is recovering) it's just not at all a good ship to use. To some extent, I'd even say that its firepower is to its detriment, if bounty hunting in Starsector includes the 'bring the target in alive' kind of deal that Fett was employed to handle in Empire Strikes Back, though this can be alleviated somewhat through weapon choice or the intimidation factor of having a ship bearing down on you loaded with antimatter blasters and atropos torpedoes. I'd also argue that the Hyperion is too obviously a top of the line combat frigate to be a good analog for Slave I, which to casual inspection would appear to have a lighter armament than the Millenium Falcon has, probably even after accounting for the slight difference in size. Slave I can probably pass for a civilian vessel armed within legal limits in most or all of the same areas that the Falcon can. The Hyperion isn't going to pass as anything but a heavily-armed mercenary, corporate, or governmental warship anywhere it goes unless you load it with annihilator rockets and PD lasers.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2014, 01:54:47 AM »

I just remembered this ship from Mr Davidoffs collection:

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2014, 04:31:41 AM »

There's actually a updated, and IMO much improved version of that sprite near the bottom under the name "Alliance" here
Spoiler
[close]
edit: changed the image
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:12:15 AM by Farlarzia »

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2014, 05:01:29 AM »

I think a screenshot of *just* the improved sprite would have sufficed.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2014, 07:53:50 AM »

I'd vote for the Tempest for Slave I. Maybe its a bit too powerful combat wise, but its fast and maneuverable. What kind of armaments did Slave I have anyways (reveals my ignorance).

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 09:37:34 AM »

The only obvious armament on Slave I was a pair of twin blasters which appear to have had a rather limited arc, being more or less fixed in any direction aside from the vertical; the original trilogy does not provide any evidence for a greater armament. Attack of the Clones additionally shows a pair of concealed forward-firing missile launchers midway down the pylon holding the blasters, a mine chute between thruster vents, and a couple of concealed forward-firing lasers just below and to either side of the cockpit, roughly where the pylon joins the main body of the ship. The expanded universe modifies the concealed armament of Slave I as used by Boba Fett, replacing the missile launchers and lasers with an ion cannon and a missile launcher in place of the lasers, a tractor beam and a pair of proton torpedo launchers at the end of the pylon, and apparently nothing in the location where the concealed missiles from Attack of the Clones had been.

It's also a little difficult to compare the power of the weapons of Slave I relative to those of the Millenium Falcon. The concealed lasers on Slave I were shown to be inadequate to seriously damage Kenobi's Delta-7 with the hits it scored, whereas the Millenium Falcon's quad lasers regularly destroyed TIE Fighters with a hit or two, and the blasters at the end of Slave I's pylon were not shown used in an anti-fighter capacity and did no apparent damage to a landing pad when a different part of the same structure could be penetrated by what appeared to have been essentially a steel knife blade driven by Jango Fett's arm. Additionally, the blast resulting from the blaster fire impacting on the landing platform appeared roughly the same size as the blast which was produced by the jetpack-mounted rocket. On the other hand, the Delta-7 is a shielded fighter, unlike the TIE, and there's also a claim floating around that the TIE series made use of a highly unstable fuel as an explanation for the tendency of TIEs in the original trilogy to blow up when hit (though as far as I know this claim was never a canonical explanation).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:53:51 AM by Aeson »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 10:07:11 AM »

The only obvious armament on Slave I was a pair of twin blasters which appear to have had a rather limited arc, being more or less fixed in any direction aside from the vertical; the original trilogy does not provide any evidence for a greater armament. Attack of the Clones additionally shows a pair of concealed forward-firing missile launchers midway down the pylon holding the blasters, a mine chute between thruster vents, and a couple of concealed forward-firing lasers just below and to either side of the cockpit, roughly where the pylon joins the main body of the ship. The expanded universe modifies the concealed armament of Slave I as used by Boba Fett, replacing the missile launchers and lasers with an ion cannon and a missile launcher in place of the lasers, a tractor beam and a pair of proton torpedo launchers at the end of the pylon, and apparently nothing in the location where the concealed missiles from Attack of the Clones had been.

It's also a little difficult to compare the power of the weapons of Slave I relative to those of the Millenium Falcon. The concealed lasers on Slave I were shown to be inadequate to seriously damage Kenobi's Delta-7 with the hits it scored, whereas the Millenium Falcon's quad lasers regularly destroyed TIE Fighters with a hit or two, and the blasters at the end of Slave I's pylon were not shown used in an anti-fighter capacity and did no apparent damage to a landing pad when a different part of the same structure could be penetrated by what appeared to have been essentially a steel knife blade driven by Jango Fett's arm. Additionally, the blast resulting from the blaster fire impacting on the landing platform appeared roughly the same size as the blast which was produced by the jetpack-mounted rocket. On the other hand, the Delta-7 is a shielded fighter, unlike the TIE, and there's also a claim floating around that the TIE series made use of a highly unstable fuel as an explanation for the tendency of TIEs in the original trilogy to blow up when hit (though as far as I know this claim was never a canonical explanation).
One thing about the fact that the landing pad wasn't damaged was that it could have been set up to absorb large amounts of thermal energy without any problems. After all, without that set up you would have to worry about the landings and take offs from all of the excessive heat
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »

I just remembered this ship from Mr Davidoffs collection:

Both this and the improved sprite look awesome, but both are too large by about three times over. Frigates in Starsector squarely fit the Millennium Falcon's description in Star Wars, while those sprites (especially the first) are at least destroyer sized, if not larger.  Remember, the Falcon usually had a crew of two.

One thing about the fact that the landing pad wasn't damaged was that it could have been set up to absorb large amounts of thermal energy without any problems. After all, without that set up you would have to worry about the landings and take offs from all of the excessive heat
A thermally resistant substance need not be ballistically strong as well. Landing pads in particular seem like surfaces where the primary desirable attribute would be thermal resistance or conductivity (for dissipation elsewhere), while relying on the structural components of the landing pad to absorb the stress of the vessels weight.  (Thus allowing a surface which can withstand thruster exhaust to be easily penetrated by a blade.)

Though to be fair, if the blade in question were a vibroblade, there aren't many materials in even the Star Wars universe that could put much much resistance for long.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:27:53 AM by JDCollie »

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »

Get MrDavidoff's ship addon, it actually has a legit Millennium Falcon. It's pretty well armed also, in addition to being pretty fast with it's burn drive active.
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »

Scy's newest frigate might be a good fit.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8010.msg141581#msg141581

This one.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »

I must confess I made it with this thread in mind. The main difference might be it can fend off frigates more easily than fighters (a medium hardpoint, no turret but an anti-missile system).

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 06:17:39 AM »

Anyone who's played X-Wing Alliance will know the Falcon is god-tier; it was Han, Lando & Luke who were noob pilots/gunners ;D

Enforcer gets my vote; it's fast, deadly, and even vaguely resembles the Falcon :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]