Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Scion Collective (0.7.2a) V0.8.3 (WIP)  (Read 36448 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Scion Collective (0.6.2a) V0.2 (WIP)
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »

recoloring is pretty easy, it takes time tho. a really long time..

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »

It does take time, I did a bit of recoloring just then on the Litch when I updated it and it took freaking ages, doesn't look quite as good as I hoped but  

<--- Amateur

EDIT: New Banshee now up
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:18:42 AM by Lucian Greymark »

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 11:42:49 AM »

I'm fairly sure that it's spelled "Lich", rather than "Litch" - not to be critical, I just thought I'd point it out.
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »

Lich and Litch are actually completely the same, Lich is just the American spelling of an old word, anyhoo Phantom Will O Wisp and Crypt updated

EDIT: A quick playtest to make sure everything is hunky dory and we now have a link on the first page to the download, now with half decent sprites
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:46:54 PM by Lucian Greymark »

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scion Collective (0.6.2a) V0.4 (WIP)
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »

V0.4 updated!

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 09:46:12 PM »

I got to say I think these are pretty good kitbashes! I really like the astral-conquest bash. It is seamless.

It is kinda weird that one of the ships looks high tech (tomb) while the rest have midline structures... speaking of that high tech one, the medusa section has a different color than the engine, which I can;t place off the top of my head.

All in all I like it! I am pretty busy with life and my art project but if you would like some help kitbashin, I wouldn't mind taking a break :)
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »

Lich and Litch are actually completely the same, Lich is just the American spelling of an old word, anyhoo Phantom Will O Wisp and Crypt updated

EDIT: A quick playtest to make sure everything is hunky dory and we now have a link on the first page to the download, now with half decent sprites
Actually, both are Middle English variations likely originating from high German, and the "lich" version appears to actually be older. (There's even a version, "lic", which appears in Beowulf :D ) However, you are accurate in that the modern conception of the term (i.e., referring to an undead wizard of significant power) seems to be a modern American adaptation of the term.

I do like the kitbash to which you've applied the name :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:04:32 AM by JDCollie »

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 10:30:11 AM »

@JDCollie: Welp my linguistics professor is wrong then, ah well

@ORMtnMAN It's not readily obvious because I haven't expanded the fluff yet but the idea is that the Scion virus is very adaptable and because of it's ability to overrun practically any ship it has a great deal of variation in it's available tech, so the Scion collective's ships will be varied from mid to high tech in general. But with fewer midline ships as a general rule. The fact that they don't all 'look' high tech is mostly just coloring and your existing preconceptions from having played the game. If I had the patience and skill to recolor the sprites blue they wouldn't look as out of place.

As for your offer of kitbashing assistance it's appreciated, but unnecessary, I'm fine with doing the actual kitbashing, in fact I quite enjoy it, it's the code in the background that I need help with.

Finally I'm probably not going to update the mod until Alex releases the next version of Starsector, if only to cut down on the workload

EDIT: The engines on the Tomb class are from the Paragon (I think...)

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »

Fair point and well taken. My comment was totally based on my preconceptions of midline shape/coloring. I stand corrected, sir.

I was having difficulty recoloring sprites as well, it is difficult to maintain the photo-realistic color gradient (I.E. how shading changes the color). That is why I opted to go with my own art instead of kitbashing... I did recoloring on my kitbashes but I used solid color and shaded incorrectly and it ended up looking too... color-pencil-y...  Another word for it would be cartoon-y.

Well, keep it up! I am also waiting until the update to do any coding.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:21:09 PM by ORMtnMan »

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »

I know from harsh experience that I don't have the talent to make cohesive and attractive artwork, so I'm just doing the best with what I can in regards to kitbashing. I'm just going to have to accept that the ships in my mod will lack a certain cohesiveness until other options present themselves. If anyone was willing to do the recolouring I'd be ternally int heir debt, but I understand if no one would, it's a b*^&%tch of a job

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 11:09:44 AM »

Well, Let me run my art experiment to see if I can do some coloring magic on my own stuff... If it successful, I will offer my "expertise".

I like your faction. It is awesome sounding and unique, so I want it to survive :) .

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »

It'll survive don't worry. I'm not exactly pouring out content but it's still in the works and there's no reason for it to stop. If Alex destroys any hope for me to be able to code updates with the next starsector build that might change, but we'll see.

Regardless thanks for your words of support. I was beginning to worry this hadn't garnered any real interest.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 01:57:27 PM »

@JDCollie: Welp my linguistics professor is wrong then, ah well
The power of the Oxford English Dictionary, it's over 9000!

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 11:30:42 PM »

V0.6 Complete

New ships!
New Weapons!

Go check the main page for details

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scion Collective (0.6.2a) V0.7 (WIP)
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »

Ready to play! Full campaign integration complete. Ships are ready for play testing. Be warned! The mod is in an unbalanced state, there are bound to be some ships that don't function as intended, are either under or over powered, and I know for a fact that fighter wings at the moment don't cost supplies to maintain in your fleet.

It's worth mentioning that not all of the weapons in the mod are on active Scion variants, so utilizing LazyWizard's amazing console is needed to see all the mod's content at the moment. Finally the Scion Collective are 100% cooperative with the player at game start. This is for play testing purposes. The mod in the state it is in is purely so that I can get feedback on what people think needs to change in regards to BALANCE. Nothing more, nothing less.

Keep in mind these ships are supposed to be end of game content for high level fleets to engage.

EDIT: Also all the Scion weapons are free for the time being.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:45:25 AM by Lucian Greymark »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4