Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Scion Collective (0.7.2a) V0.8.3 (WIP)  (Read 36445 times)

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
Scion Collective (0.7.2a) V0.8.3 (WIP)
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:18:33 AM »

Scion Collective

Requires LazyWizard's LazyLib

Download here

The Scion Collective is an AI that controls an entire network of fleets and stations. It was born of the AI wars and when the others were wiped out, the Tri Tachyon continued development of this one in secret. It grew out of their control, captured their ships, killed their crews and began to expand. Since then it has been hidden in a distant corner of the sector, slowly developing it's technology and growing more powerful. Finally it's ready to return to mainstream space, and assimilate all technology in the galaxy.

The Mod contains an entirely new faction called the Scion Collective. Their ships (of which there are four different fighter wings, three frigates, four destroyers, three cruisers, two capitals.) focus on long ranged, but comparatively low damage weapons, powerful shields, and anti missile pd screens. Their technology hasn't developed to the point of sustained beam weapons, but their burst beam technology is advanced enough to still be a significant threat. Expect a mixture of ballistic and energy projectile weapons, burst beam weapons, and swarm style missiles that focus on hunting down other missiles and fighters.

So... happy hunting!

LGreymark

(Small edit, the faction is still very friendly towards the player. This is mostly to facilitate people testing the ships if they don't want to use the console because at present there is no expedient way to gain reputation with them. It's easy enough to make them hostile, just attack one of their fleets.)

Spoiler
[close]

Changelog
Spoiler
V0.8.3: Another cruiser added, another destroyer, many balance changes, the Genesis system now has three additional faction stations (Hegemony, Tri Tach and Luddic Church(path? I always forget which is which)) so that they are in near constant battle with the scion forces.
V0.8.2: Two new ships, six(ish) new weapons, cost values included in stores now. Campaign integration basically complete. Now working on balance.
V0.8.1: A couple new ships and weapons. New download link.
V0.8: Sprite style change, ship rework, 12 new ships, 11 new weapons.
V0.7: Full campaign support, reworked (though still in need of balance) ships and weapons, new ship: Intervention Prototype Destroyer
V0.6: Complete rework including 13 new ships/wings and 6 new weapons with more updates coming soon.
V0.4: New ships! Tomb fast attack destroyer, Zombie freighter, Ghoul cruiser sized assault carrier
V0.3: New sprites for all the current ships added
V0.2: Three new ships and two fighter wings (Will O Wisp, Phantom, Crypt, Revenant and Litch)
V0.1(Unshared): Banshee and Space station added to campaign as well as the portraits and back coding
[close]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:32:42 PM by Lucian Greymark »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scion Collective (0.6.2a) V0.2 (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:16:31 AM »

Errhhh... Is it normal that your ships are extremely blurry?

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:07:42 AM »

Sadly yes, I ended up havind to resize a lot of the images more than I intended and they came out blurrier than I hoped as a result. I intend to re model most of the ships once I have some spare time but at the moment I'm mostly just experimenting with functionality and getting a working product on the board before I pretty it up, hence V0.2 rather than 1.0.

I'm using Gimp to do my kitbashing and I'm comfortable with the software and photoshop is out of the question sadly. But any advice you can give for resizing/eliminating the blurriness would be appreciated.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:16:27 AM »

Oof. I'd like to offer some help, but depending on the level of resizing I might not be of much use. You can send me (PM) the original sprites if you'd like and I can try and resize them for you and clean them up a little.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:19:11 AM »

I'm pretty sure you can resize stuff in Gimp without it becoming blurry - if not, try using Paint.NET, which allows you to choose a different system to resize ships (Bilinear or Nearest Neighbor).  Nearest Neighbor generally gives a sharper image, if you want to know.  I haven't seen anything like that for Gimp, yet.

Also, in the realm of the Internet, nothing is impossible, including Photoshop. ;)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »

Sorry I should have been more clear. It's not the resizing of the final image that's the problem it's the resizing while I'm kitbashing, I'm drawing all my source image from a screenshot of the full Star sector armada that can be found in the blog, to get the pieces I want down, or up to size they (obviously) need to be scaled and that destroys the detail. I guess I could probably figure out a way to make the sprites without as much resizing going on or just outright redetail them but I don't really have the skill or the time. I'm a writer by trade and it sucks up most of my time and the little free time I have to devote to this mod is going to be used up just getting it functional

At the end of the day having someone else sprite for me would be ideal but short of a commission I'd feel terrible asking someone else to do that, especially when I take so much enjoyment from making the sprites myself. If it makes any kind of difference I can confidently say that they look dramatically less blurry in game.

EDIT: I'll try paint.net I guess, I'm a little apprehensive though as I've never used the program before. As for ways to resize more cleanly with Gimp any directions you could give would be most helpful

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »

Wait, why are you using that image?  The ships in it are very outdated - the Conquest in particular has changed completely, and I see you've used it in the Licht.  It's also missing ships from the base game.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 07:40:25 AM »

Because it's the only sprite sheet I could find on short notice that had all of them on it, if you can recommend another one be my guest, the entire back body of the Revenant is also from the conquest, points for guessing from where.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »

Because it's the only sprite sheet I could find on short notice that had all of them on it, if you can recommend another one be my guest, the entire back body of the Revenant is also from the conquest, points for guessing from where.

Check your Starsector game folder. Under Fractal Softworks > Starsector > starsector-core > graphics > ships

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »

Thing is, the Armada sheet was never intended to be used as a sprite sheet - it was more for presentation.  Hence why you have to resize the ships.  Using the ships right from the original ship image is MUCH better, also no resizing. :D

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 07:50:51 AM »

ugh, I'm an idiot, of course the up to date sprites would be there. *facepalm* that will make this whole thing go easier, okay I have some time now so I'm going to go resprite all the ships. See you all soon.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »

Hi Lucien,

as far as kitbashing goes keep resizing to an absolute minimum, you will almost always be able to tell that certain parts have been changed in size. If you HAVE to resize take a look at the INTERPOLATION
your resize tool uses. And upscaling something on that pixel to pixel level will most certainly never work ( at least not in a statifsfactory way )

Here is a link if you want to have a quick overview of what interpolation methods gimp uses
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tools-transform.html#gimp-tool-interpolation-methods

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »

Lucian* It's okay, everyone gets that wrong, and thanks for the hint, I just updated the Revenant sprite with it's new and improved version, I managed to do the whole thing without having to resize at all, which was awesome.

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »

oh yeah, that looks much better. I gotta say - I like your style, these ships are really original!
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 09:22:19 AM »

Right? The blurriness was wrecking it, now I can see that. I'll go through and clean up the other models. Be right back////

EDIT: Also thanks, I'm doing my best to make an original set here. I just wish I was more confident with recoloring, I'd make them all that lovely tri tach blue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4