Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need a Little Help Adding My Ship - [SOLVED]  (Read 3347 times)

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
Need a Little Help Adding My Ship - [SOLVED]
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »

Okay, so I've been trying for the last few days to add my own ships to the game, and try as i might, i simply cannot get the game to launch.

From what i can tell (from my untrained eyes i might add), I've done everything right: I've got my .ship, .variant, .png and ship_data files all done but whenever i try to launch the game, BAM i get a "Fatal: null" error.

im sure im not the first person to have this problem, so if you could shed some light, it would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:24:22 AM by CrazyDave »
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Need a Little Help Adding My Ship
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 11:54:57 PM »

Check starsector.log (sometimes it will tell you what's missing). A typo in any of the stuff you've mentioned will also result in a null error.

The best way to check if your ships made it in-game is to add them to a custom test mission of your own creation (just copy and paste one of the vanilla missions over and add your ship in the MissionDefinition.java file). Adding them straight into the campaign is either an extra level of difficulty, or involves messing with the core files, something I don't recommend doing early on.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »

I highly advise you to use Trylobot`s ship editor as this powerful tool creates ship hull and variant files based on what you`ve imput in it. Probably you are already using it, so ignore this if its true.

As for the bug hunting - the log file kazi mentioned is located in starsector-core folder. You can open it with the notepad. It usually contains a description of what caused the crash (with pointing to the file in question and the type of the error).

Null errors are usually connected with a misspelled hull/variant/mount/weapon ids or erroneous calls for these from mission/campaign etc.

Post your last several entries from this file so that we could be able to assist you.

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:59:02 AM »

the log file is the starsector.log.1 correct? and if so, im looking to scroll right down to the bottom and look at the code?

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:26:10 AM »

It should be just .log. The others are probably backups of sorts.

And yes - scroll down to the very bottom. You need to copy paste here the thread that caused an error (you`ll see it pretty easily) and a couple of thread entries with the same number above the error.

I.e. if you got an error in THREAD5 - than copy/paste all the text with this error and a few THREAD5 entries that come before it (not THREAD4s or THREAD8 and etc.). Hopefully you get the idea.

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:57:45 AM »

ahh yes there it is.

Kind of odd, its not the final part of the log, it has about 15 lines of initialisation AFTER the error.

Spoiler
3556 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.ShipHullSpreadsheetLoader  - Ship hull [crucio] from ship_data.csv not found in store
3567 [Thread-8] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.scripts.world.BaseSpawnPoint]
3718 [Thread-8] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Class [data.scripts.world.SectorGen] already loaded (perhaps from jar file, or due to a reference from another class), skipping compilation.
3802 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.HullVariantSpec.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.HullVariantSpec.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ShipHullSpreadsheetLoader.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.OooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.A.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »

Make sure that you ship hull file is named exactly as the ID used in this file. Also make sure that this ID matches ship_data.csv`s ID of the ship.

I.e. - there should be a file 'crucio.ship' in DATA/hulls folder. It should contain '"hullId": "crucio",' in it and the same 'crucio' must be used in ship_data.csv under hullID tab.

Also make sure that you are using either an existing variant id in your campaign\missions (store/fleets) like 'crucio_variant' or a game-generated empty variant called 'crucio_Hull' instead of it. Otherwise game wont understand what you are trying to do with your ship.

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 05:52:24 AM »

Okay i found the problem! it was exactly that, my crucio.ship file had hullID: newHull instead of crucio. Thanks a bunch!

But now i have another problem, although the answer is probably as trivial as the first. The game now launches, but when i look up my ship in the codex and click on it i get this error:

Spoiler
Fatal: Spec of class [com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.intsuper] with id [3473]
not found
Check starsector.log for more info
[close]

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 06:23:06 AM »

Starsector.log error entries?

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 06:48:49 AM »

actually dont worry, i worked out the problem, it was because i hadn't set up the audio config file correctly for a custom weapon i had attached to the ship.

Thanks for the help, its much appreciate!

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »

How about showing your ship to the community? It is always good to get some feedback when you are starting a new mod.

Here is a specified thread for this: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4264.0