Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: on decorative stripes  (Read 1921 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
on decorative stripes
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »

I seem to remember stripes on ships as decorative weapons that would change color depend on allegiance in one mod or another, probably Okim's Ironclads but I'm not certain

Anyone remember that? If so, anyone knows how to make it happen scripting wise?

I got something I wanna try out

thanks in advance

gunny
mmm.... tartiflette

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: on decorative stripes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:53:44 AM »

Maybe Ironclad where Okim sprited several similar ships with different paintjobs? (red-> RSF, grey-> civilian, flames skin-> pirates)

My idea to make something like this would be as you said to use decorative weapons as color stripes. Basically using two same variants in the files but each one with a different "decorative stripe".  Lasher_assault_brown for the Hegemony and Lasher_assault_blue for the Tri-tachyon for example.

Not sure, i'll let the pros answer this one more precisely.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:12:23 AM »

ok so I think this is in response to the faction colors thing yeah? Yes you could use decorative weapons in combination with SpriteAPI's setColor function to script the colour of each faction.

It probably would have been better had one or two colors been deen designated from the start as faction colours on our ships, and we then use those colours to designate those areas with faction strips, and the engine replaces that in the graphics pipeline. However SS development is probably way too far down the production pipeline for that.

Back to the deco stripes. I suppose one might start with the base ship, then paint on a seperate layer where you want the faction colours to be in white, and leave the other pixels transparent. Save the faction strip layer to a separate PNG file, and add a decorative weapon mounted at 0,0 on the ship. You then use a EveryFrameWeapon script to check the current faction, and use the SpriteAPI to change the transparency/color of the deco sprite.

In theory.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:01:53 AM »

I`ve abandoned this idea due to problems with damage decals. Ship with decorative elements such as stripes and retextured hull ignore hull damage decals which makes a ship look inconsistent.

Even a few stripes (a recoloured spot on the wing etc) would look awful on the damaged ship. I have no images of this, but trust me - it doesn`t look any way cool.

There was another possibility to make faction-type ship sprite. But this way multiplies each and every sprite and ship hull by the number of versions you wish to have. I tried to used custom dialogues at stations to achieve this, but abandoned this idea due the amount of art work and needless hull clones this way produces.

So for now there is no proper and 'clean' way to make faction decorations per ship. At least I know nothing of other ways to do so.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 02:15:53 AM »

I think alex said that the next release will allow damage effects to show on decoratives.