Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sarmis Deep Space Forges [WIP]  (Read 3699 times)

biotic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:40:37 PM by biotic »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Legium Tracicum
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:20:58 AM »

Four ships is a bit cheap for starting a mod. Also i think the most important part in Starsector's modding is the spriting (unless you are a coding wizard but that's a whole different thing) and i think yours can definitely be improved. I borrowed one of your ship and modified it to show some trick.

First of all, your sprites feel a bit flat and the best way to avoid this is to add shadows. The easiest way to do this is do outline some parts of the ship with the pen tool with the black color on a new layer, then reducing the opacity to 30%/40% (i'm assuming you're using Photoshop or at least Gimp). It's good to avoid a flat sprite.

Also plates armor are rarely perfectly clean (unless you're trying a high-tech, Tri-tachyon style but in my experience it's way harder), greebling is the best way to add details to avoid having a ship too "clean". Here i copy/pasted some textures from the Eagle cruiser and lowered the layer opacity to 10%. You can also toy with the layer types like luminosity, saturation etc to try new effects.

And finally i copy/pasted some tiny parts from vanilla ships on yours. Same thing as above, lowering opacity, placing layer type on luminosity, using the eraser tool to get rid of the unwanted pixels and that's it! When you start spriting, lot of greebling can help "filling" the ship. At least that's how i started.

Also if you want to make a mod, there's always a cheaty way to get people playing it, capital ships. No matter how broken, badly designed and lore-breaking those are, everyone love trying giant ships. It's kinda like cheating but it work.

I mean,  who wouldn't try something like this?

Spoiler
[close]

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »

Also if you want to make a mod, there's always a cheaty way to get people playing it, capital ships. No matter how broken, badly designed and lore-breaking those are, everyone love trying giant ships. It's kinda like cheating but it work.

I mean,  who wouldn't try something like this?

Spoiler
[close]

Is that a veiled stab at the Zorg?  :o

*sends a cube HELMUT's way*

[edit] I just noticed this isn't the spriters thread. Hey Biotic, those are some interesting industrial-looking designs. I especially like some of the greebling on the yellowish parts. The plating looks especially good around the more rounded bits. Not too fond of the greyish parts though. The way the lighter lines run through them makes them look like 'bricks' to me. More irregular greebling and perhaps some things like pipes and lines running accross the grey bits might make them look better (IMO).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:50:00 AM by Erick Doe »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:57:46 AM »

I see my old star destroyer still floats about the forum. >.>

biotic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »

Thx for all the help, these are my first sprites ... i ever made.
I am working on improving them.
keep the tips rolling guys. :D

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:02:01 AM »

they look a similar color to the interstellar imperium ships.
look good though. and the large ships posted above. did you want to make it any larger?
i wanted to get into modding on this but i tried making a ship with trylobots ship maker but i had no idea how to incorporate it into a mod or how to make my own so your doing well already if they work.

biotic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 06:55:23 AM »

Well, i made some more sprites, and also made a ship with the ship editor, now i'm in a jam.... how do i get it to appear in stations.
It appears in the codex but i didn't find it in stations thus far.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 07:29:31 AM »

Here's what your are missing...
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1282.0
And yes, it represent quite some work.

The easier way to test your ships would be to make a custom mission.

biotic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 05:33:56 PM »

Thx for the info, i managed to introduce them but i spotted another problem, the sprites seem to blurry.
Even at their normal resolution ... not zoomed in the seem to be blurred and it bugs me quite alot.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 05:57:16 PM »

The sprites will only be in full resolution if they are unrotated. That is why Starsector has xxx.5 coordinates.