Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mod Feedback Thread (New Poll!)  (Read 23124 times)

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Feedback Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »

Very cool thread!

I know, I disappeared a while behind the curtains because of lots of private stuff all coming together ... well, crap happens!

But this thread really spurrs my will to get back to improving BGE! I took a look at the scores I got in various categories and I might get back to working on BGE.

My main man David also offered me help again (He's responsible for a lot of the code involved and the implementation of borrowed code) which made me really happy.

So if everything goes well I might be able to get some days off next week to get some of the new content being WIP for a long time released.

There's new art, a whole new faction, new animations and new features I've been working on every now and then.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

Yeah, I second SniZupGun's motion for a TC related poll. Actually I would just straight up include the TC's in the original poll. The balance part would be relatively meaningless, but everything else works out just fine.

I also think that the poll results should be wiped every few months or so to prevent old results from dominating the stats. Gives people a chance to have improvements show, right? Also add an underpowered column. The highest scoring mods for balance (>0.8) actually have the weakest ships and weapons in the game imo. The most balanced mods are in the 0.5-0.75 range for some reason. I also am somewhat amused that the "need content" category seems to correlate directly with who takes the longest to update...

Looks like I get high scores for art and fun but am very weak in the balance and coding departments (pretty much agrees with my own opinion of things).

Also #1 Slightly OP mod on the forum!!!! (party at my place)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »

One thing I noticed is that you forgot one of my favorite mod authors: Gotcha!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 12:02:53 AM »

The weapons pack (shipbuilders and randomised mercs) are also not listed.

Pazuzu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 12:23:19 AM »

batavia, junk pirates and valks are the ones i use the most.

- junk pirates are really well balanced. I always have these guys on.

- Batavia, i dont know i just like the ships and weapons, although i guess the hailstorms seem a bit overpowered. Could use another ship or two.

- Valks are annoying but fun to play against. A lot of thier stuff is overpowered but they have some serious repairing and logistics problems so i guess that balances it mostly. Range of the valk MRM says 2500 but its more like 5000 (sorry cant remember its name, has an orange warhead(scorpion maybe?))

- I like neutrinos but they're super annoying to fight against in exelerin

- I really liked starsector plus (especially skill tree changes) but now that it needs shaderlib i cant really play it for performance reasons. Actually anything that requires shaderlib i dont bother with. Looks ok, but not so good that it's worth the performance hit on my lappy.

- shadowyards, blackrock and nomads are pretty good, no complaints, but i don't use them much anymore

- Interstellar federation are one of my all time favorites, but i think the mods dead.

- Love tore up plenty ships. Only the big blue "basic" cruiser seems overpowered. Long triangular shaped, has 3 graviton beams stock.. i think maybe Oddyssey? Too much flux dissapation imo.

- Love Exelerin

Another great faction was one i can't remember the name of, had brown coloured versions of vanilla ships... I think the aurora knock-off was called the intrepid. Also had a sweet conquest version. Their ships were a bit faster and structually less sound then their vanilla counterparts and used mostly ballistic. Pretty sure that mods dead too.

Haven't really played enough of the other mods to say much about them.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:29 AM »

While numbers are helpful, you can't beat in-depth reveiws!

Still, it was very helpful and thoughtful of you to create this, Mr.Dark. But I'm still lacking motivation right now, and lemme tell 'yall: it sucks. At least I'll have a direction to go in the next time I want to push out a release...

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:35 AM »

- I really liked starsector plus (especially skill tree changes) but now that it needs shaderlib i cant really play it for performance reasons. Actually anything that requires shaderlib i dont bother with. Looks ok, but not so good that it's worth the performance hit on my lappy.

If your computer cannot handle the system requirements of ShaderLib or you dislike the aesthetic, open the settings.json in the ShaderLib mod folder and disable it.

There will literally be no performance loss or displayed shader features at all then, and the mods that require it keep working and you can enjoy them :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 04:22:22 AM »

- Batavia, i dont know i just like the ships and weapons, although i guess the hailstorms seem a bit overpowered. Could use another ship or two.
I'm working on it.  ;)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 04:31:56 AM »

Yeah, I second SniZupGun's motion for a TC related poll. Actually I would just straight up include the TC's in the original poll. The balance part would be relatively meaningless, but everything else works out just fine.

I also think that the poll results should be wiped every few months or so to prevent old results from dominating the stats. Gives people a chance to have improvements show, right? Also add an underpowered column. The highest scoring mods for balance (>0.8) actually have the weakest ships and weapons in the game imo. The most balanced mods are in the 0.5-0.75 range for some reason. I also am somewhat amused that the "need content" category seems to correlate directly with who takes the longest to update...

Yeah, this poll is essentially a test, of sorts, and doesn't include every mod.  I will be including more mods, including TCs, on the next poll, which will happen a week or so after the current poll sputters out.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:21 AM »

I have created a tentative listing of mods for the next poll.  Please tell me if I'm missing something (the requirement is that the mod must have new or modified ships and/or weapons), or if I have a mod miscategorized.

Keep in mind, inactive mods will not appear on the poll, but will be listed here in case they become active some day.

-ACTIVE-
The Associated Starline Parcels (ASP) Syndicate by mendonca
Biomancy Genetic Engineering by Tecrys
Blackrock Driveyards by Cycerin
Bushi by Gotcha!
Citadel by Foxer
The Confederacy of Free Stars by InfinitySquared
[Total Conversion] Eternal Nox by SniZupGun
[Non-Faction] Exerelin Content by Zaphide
[Total Conversion] EVE Mod by celestis
Exigency Incorporated by MesoTroniK
Firestorm Federation by Ember
The Gedune by Hyph
Hiigaran Descendants by Gotcha!
Idoneus Citadel Exiles (ICE) by Sundog
[Non-Faction] The Infernal Machine by MesoTroniK
Interstellar Federation by keptin
Interstellar Imperium by DarkRevenant and HELMUT
Junk Pirates by mendonca
Neutrino Corp by FlashFrozen
The Mayorate by kazi
The Nomads by Trylobot
[Total Conversion] Obsidian Void by Psiyon
The P9 Colony Group by Zudgemud
[Non-Faction] Pirates Plus by Cycerin
Post-Anarchist Canis Kollective (P.A.C.K.) by mendonca
Project Batavia by Erick Doe
[Total Conversion] Project Ironclads by Okim
Project Valkyrie by ValkyriaL
The Qualljom Society by DarkAlbino
Scy by Tartiflette
Sector of Sins by Xalendi
Shadowyards Heavy Industries by MShadowy
Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters by Trylobot
[Non-Faction] Starsector+ Content by DarkRevenant
Tore Up Plenty by Erick Doe
[Non-Faction] Uomoz's Sector Content by Uomoz
[Total Conversion] Vacuum by xenoargh
[Non-Faction] Weapons Pack by Apophis
ZORG by Erick Doe

-INACTIVE-
BISO by dmaiski
DSTech Corp Fleet by DSMK2 and Tecrys
FreeSpace 2 Mod by EnderNerdcore
Gotcha's Mini Factions by Gotcha!
Hawken Fleet by Uthilian
Kadur Theocracy by Vayra
Magician's Mod by Magician
The Nihilic Empire by Dibuk
Objectless Research Institute (ORI) by Runoved
The Patrian Principate by NikolaiLev
The Scrappers by Verrius
[Total Conversion] World War Mod by xangle13
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:52:28 PM by Dark.Revenant »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »

Following the results and a few responses here, it seems that my mod is the shared #2 most overpowered mod, and the #2 most slightly OP mod on the forum, yet i haven't heard anything that serious about them over in my thread? maybe i just haven't seen it, have i not tested them properly? not taken criticism seriously? :-\

What would be the cause for this? with an exception for weapon mounts and total ordinance, that i am fixing in 1.4.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »

Following the results and a few responses here, it seems that my mod is the shared #2 most overpowered mod, and the #2 most slightly OP mod on the forum, yet i haven't heard anything that serious about them over in my thread? maybe i just haven't seen it, have i not tested them properly? not taken criticism seriously? :-\

What would be the cause for this? with an exception for weapon mounts and total ordinance, that i am fixing in 1.4.

Tied for 3rd worst with Nomads and Mayorate, actually.  The main thing is that people have a perception of mods involving powerful ships to be overpowered, even if those ships are impractical to actually use.  I have no doubt The Knights Templar will be voted down severely for balance even though they're a NPC faction explicitly designed to be an endgame boss faction.

That said, large numbers of weapon mounts and too-high OP does affect things and after your update you might see higher poll results on the next survey.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »

Another great faction was one i can't remember the name of, had brown coloured versions of vanilla ships... I think the aurora knock-off was called the intrepid. Also had a sweet conquest version. Their ships were a bit faster and structually less sound then their vanilla counterparts and used mostly ballistic. Pretty sure that mods dead too.

Lotus Conglomerate? That was a cool mod, they were super-tough to fight against.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »

I think i still have Lotus stored away somewhere, wonder if i can update them hmm?

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »

I have created a tentative listing of mods for the next poll.  Please tell me if I'm missing something (the requirement is that the mod must have new or modified ships and/or weapons), or if I have a mod miscategorized.

Keep in mind, inactive mods will not appear on the poll, but will be listed here in case they become active some day.

-ACTIVE-
-snip-

-INACTIVE-
-snip-
ZORG by Erick Doe

Zorg is active. I am actually working on an update for the Zorg, alongside an update for Project Batavia. Plus it is still functional alongside other mods and with Exerelin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3