Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mod Feedback Thread (New Poll!)  (Read 23130 times)

Pazuzu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Feedback Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »

Ah thank you mendoca, it was Lotus Conglomerate. Was indeed a great faction.

Also thank you mesotronik, in regards to turning off shaderlib for factions that need it, i'll try that.

I think the valks are pretty balanced, but i think the worst offender is the scorpion MRMs. They have twice the range, speed, and ammo of harpoons, and yet they cost less ordinance. Sure they dont do as much damage but they dont need to. Firing a couple makes the AI keep shields up and take the needler spam until it overloads. Since the valk cruisers have plenty of space for scorpions they can just fire 1 every few seconds to force AI to overload. If a ship tried to retreat you can send a scorpion salvo their way and they're unlikely to get away, as the mrms are too fast, maneuverable and long ranged to escape.

The almire and nirvana cruiser series are the real killers of the valk fleet, they have maybe too much ordinance or just too many weapon slots. Also they don't cost much to field in battle compared to all other valk ships (CR-wise). In fact when i play as valks I only use these cruisers, as they're the only ships in the valk fleet that are easy to field. If these ships were as hard to field as the rest of the valk armada i would say the mod is nicely balanced.
The capitals are all balanced pretty well because while they're tough, they're mostly immobile.

Come to think of it, Valks seem to be balanced for playing against, to provide a challenge to a decent player. Only playing AS valks do they suddenly seem overpowered. Whereas a faction like junk pirates seem to be balanced against vanilla ships in general.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Mod Feedback Thread (New Poll!)
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 04:36:24 AM »

Here we are with the new and improved survey!  The slate is wiped clean!

(New!)
Starsector Mod Survey II
Give valuable feedback on many mods at the same time.  Now includes more mods, including TCs.  The survey format and statistics have also been improved.
Click Here!

Results and mod rankings available here.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Feedback Thread (New Poll!)
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 05:10:36 AM »

Nice! Done.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »

There are some interesting findings so far.

Currently, the mods with the best balance are: 1. Interstellar Imperium, 1. Starsector+ Content, 3. Pirates Plus, 3. The Infernal Machine, 5. Uomos' Sector Content, 6. Exerelin Content, 7. Shadowyards Heavy Industries, 8. Junk Pirates, 8. Tore Up Plenty, 10. Obsidian Void, 11. Citadel, and 12. Project Ironclads, 12. Project Batavia.
The worst balance goes to: 39. Neutrino Corp, 38. The Confederacy of Free Stars, and 37. Biomancy Genetic Engineering.

The mods with the best gameplay are: 1. Blackrock Driveyards, 2. Exigency Incorporated, 3. Shadowyards Heavy Industries, 4. ICE, 5. Uomoz's Sector Content, 6. Neutrino Corp, 7. The Mayorate, 8. Scy, and 9. Interstellar Imperium, 9. Starsector+ Content.
No mods reached the worst gameplay threshold.  Well done!

The mods with the best design are: 1. Blackrock Driveyards, 1. Exigency Incorporated, 3. Shadowyards Heavy Industries, 4. Neutrino Corp, 5. Interstellar Imperium, 5. ICE, and 7. Obsidian Void.
The mod with the worst design, unfortunately, is: 39. The Confederacy of Free Stars.

The mods with the best polish are: 1. Blackrock Driveyards, 2. Starsector+ Content, 3. Exigency Incorporated, 3. Shadowyards Heavy Industries, 5. Interstellar Imperium, and 6. Neutrino Corp.
Lastly, the worst polish goes to: 39. Eternal Nox, 38. The P9 Colony Group, 37. Firestorm Federation, and 36. Biomancy Genetic Engineering.

Fun facts:
Blackrock Driveyards is ranked #1 in all but one category.
Interstellar Imperium is the only mod in the top tier (full green, or the top 1/6 of the score range) for every category.
If Neutrino Corp's 6 "Very OP", 4 "OP", and 0 "Balanced" votes were instead 10 "Balanced" votes, Neutrino Corp would be ranked #2 overall.
Only 7 out of a total 39 mods have a "below-average" score.  Unlike the previous poll, this one does not normalize the average, meaning that the theoretical average of 3.0 is much lower than the actual average of 3.59.
A mod's Polish score is the best predictor for overall ranking.  Content score is the worst, having almost no correlation to overall ranking whatsoever.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »

I wonder how ZORG can be overpowered when it is meant to be overpowering.  :D

"This category concerns balance within the context of the Starsector campaign, with respect to the mod's objective. If the mod is designed to be powerful, is that reflected in how inconvenient they are to find and use? If the mod is a total conversion, consider balance according to the internal logic of that TC."

Please read the descriptions before you vote!

I also wonder how there's a "broken mess" vote for the ZORG.

"This category concerns the writing, lore, bugginess, and overall level of polish of the mod. Are the descriptions formatted correctly? Is there lore sprinkled throughout the mod? Does everything work properly? Does the mod crash the game?"

Exactly what is broken? It would be nice to know so it can be fixed. I'm not aware of any bugs. If there are please report them. There's plenty of lore prinkled throughout and everything works as intended, I think. So I don't think that's it.

Thanks!  :)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 08:05:25 PM »

I don't want my mod listed on this, personally. 

No offense meant, but the only place I want to see feedback is on my thread, where I can respond to specific issues :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 08:13:04 PM »

I wouldn't say it's "very overpowered" but it's certainly "overpowered" in that it seems to make for less of an interesting fight than it would do had the ships used more interesting gimmicks to remain challenging rather than using big numbers and the like.  Similarly, I think I saw some weapon description problems in ZORG, but nothing that would classify "broken".

I noticed a vote for "needs work" and a vote for "poor audio/visual design" on Interstellar Imperium, which kicked it down a rank, off two of the high lists, and invalidated one of the fun facts of my previous post in the process.  I also noticed that the person who made this vote did not vote for any other category, implying that this person did not actually play the mod.  How, then, can this person think the mod needs work on its polish, or judge its audio design (I neglected to put up a video)?

@xenoargh
It's too late to remove from this poll, which is why I listed the mods I intended to put on this poll a full week in advance.  I'll take it off for future polls.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:19:25 PM by Dark.Revenant »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »

Similarly, I think I saw some weapon description problems in ZORG, but nothing that would classify "broken".

You mean like words being cut off?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 08:31:47 PM »

Similarly, I think I saw some weapon description problems in ZORG, but nothing that would classify "broken".

You mean like words being cut off?

Yeah.  I see that in quite a few mods, actually.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 08:37:44 PM »

A tip for people suffering from cut off descriptions in their mods. This is the exact maximum length for the first part of weapon descriptions, even one additional character would cut off. But also make sure to check in game as well :)

The Sidewinder missile launcher fires low-yield missiles that follow erratic flight paths, overwhelming point defenses through system saturation.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »

Thank you.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 03:04:38 AM »

Apparently my mod is more overpowered than the last time, I also seem to have a lot of scores very close to 0, they are not negative, or posetive,  just plain 0. ::)

Guess I need to hurry up with that balance release.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 05:21:20 AM »

I think not everyone voted since the new survey, it may explain why some stuffs feels different.

I'm surprised that II got ranked as the most balanced mod, sure it is balanced but with the existence of their fleet killer missiles, i expected more people to call them overpowered.

For the worst balanced, Neutrino isn't really a surprise, they aren't technically the worst (compared to Confederacy) but they are probably one of the most played around, so i guess it have to be expected. BGE have a weird balanced, they're overpowered against anything that don't use frag weaponry.

Best gameplay/design/polish: BRDY/Exi/SHI, no surprise.

For the worst polish: BGE again but i think it's more about the lack of content and weird balance, i'm pretty confident about it though, Tecrys have been working on an update for a while. FF new version haven't been released so it's a bit weird. For P9, their extreme stats make them kinda broken, too bad because i love the sprites, i hope Zudgemud will eventually tweak their stats to make them more playable.

Erick, the Zorgs are overpowered and it's normal, right? When i saw them in the poll i clicked OP because, duh, they're supposed to be like that. Not because you don't have the green numbers mean it's wrong, the future Knights Templars mod will suffer from this as well.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »

Perhaps people aren't playing Eternal Nox because there's no download link? The only link i see is for Eleutheria and their system is on the freakin' edge of the map, no wonder people don't even bother to try.

Also, not many people are playing the game currently, everyone is waiting for the next update. Don't be surprised by the lack of feedback.
Pages: 1 2 [3]