Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Knights Templar 0.9.8f  (Read 626867 times)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4g
« Reply #525 on: November 08, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »

As a phase ship, you're either: Far enough from your fleet that the Clarents keep circling you, in which case you're close enough to the carrier that Teutons just turn around and immediately re-arm. It's a stall.

That's the idea. Every Clarents wasted on a phase ship give more time for the rest of the fleet to close the gap against the Archibshop. It's not easy, but that's still the safest way i found to take on those fleets.

However, it's no wonder you lost with your fleet. Five cruisers, even with the two Paladins, are fresh meat for a carrier fleet like this. And the Asura isn't a good phase decoy ship either.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:49:10 PM by HELMUT »

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 08, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »

ITs a shame interstellar federation is dead.  Otherwise the templars could just have a nice big helping of omega device.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 08, 2015, 09:07:17 PM »

However, it's no wonder you lost with your fleet. Five cruisers, even with the two Paladins, are fresh meat for a carrier fleet like this. And the Asura isn't a good phase decoy ship either.

What would you bring? I'm still on that one fight, so I'm up for trying out some configurations. It's right outside my base, so assume you have all SS+ ships in the game available. ;D

The enemy consists of: 1 Archbishop, 4 Jesuit, 6 Teuton wings.

Edit: Asura, 200 supplies worth of Tempests, Afflictors, Shades and Omens: Minced.
Asura, 4 Scylla, 4 Doom, 6 Afflictors, 6 Shades: Did decent against the first few waves, then minced.
Asura, 2 Paladins, 6 Burst Flare Scorpions, 6 Shades: Minced.

One winning combination! 2 Paladins, 5 Doom with Burst Flares, 4 Afflictor for point capture. Piloting the Paladin and getting in close to intercept at least some of the Clarents with burst, I was able to take the b*tch out.

Since there's already some Clarent changes incoming, I'm not gonna bemoan this any further. We'll see how it plays out in the next version. My conclusion so far is this: Clarent spam can be overcome by gearing your fleet to counter it. However, such an equipped fleet is simply going to hit a brick wall with the Archbishop afterwards. The only way I've ever taken one of these out is by piloting a Paladin myself. But this leaves my fleet without phase bait which almost seems essential. Archbishop alone is doable, Teuton wings alone are doable. Both of them at once.. not so much.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:25:32 AM by Schwartz »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #528 on: November 09, 2015, 05:17:24 AM »

Best thing I can suggest is to take point with either a Paragon to sponge the Clarents on the shield (vent in between volleys), or an Onslaught with 2-3 Aegis Flak Cannons.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:19:50 AM by Histidine »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 09, 2015, 06:08:54 AM »

A flagship Archbishop is going to be a brick wall no matter what anyway. With max combat skills, it's probably the hardest ship in the game to take down, especially at low health when it can regenerate faster than you can damage it. A handy trick is to retreat and re-engage to get it at low CR.

But yeah, that last fleet of yours is definitely better for this scenario. I personally don't use that many phase ships. Only one or two Afflictors, barely armed, their jobs is just to dance around the enemy fleet to catch their attention. For the rest? Cruisers and battleships, tanky ones if possible. Destroyers and frigates are too frail to handle Templar's priwen burst. The Dooms aren't a bad idea because they are more or less immune to Clarents, and can still pack quite a punch.

Or as Histidine said, a few Paragons. The perfect combination of tankiness to survive the Teutons and heavy firepower to engage the Archbishop. Not so sure about the Onslaughts, but i have to admit i haven't really tried the Aegis flak yet.

But even then, there's no magic trick with Templars. Even with a specialized fleet, you're never guaranteed to win. And i like that, it's the end-game boss after all.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #530 on: November 09, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »

To be fair, the Archbishop is supposed to be the hardest Templar challenge.  Defeating it isn't really supposed to be easy; even after the Clarent changes, you'll still have to counter them, just with a little less trial and error.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 09, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »

Player can scuttle the Teuton fighters and get the unlimited Clarents in the inventory, but they cannot be mounted.  I remember seeing this months ago, but did not think much of it until I recently and inadvertently did the same to stock fighters for their Swarmers.  (I posted the Swarmers bug earlier today at the bugs forum.)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.7a] The Knights Templar v0.9.5
« Reply #532 on: November 27, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »

Wee!

Download The Knights Templar 0.9.5
Download Mirror
(Requires LazyLib 2.1) (Updated!)
(Requires ShaderLib Beta v1.1.0) (Updated!)
(Supported by Starsector+ 3.0.0) (Updated Soon)
(Supported by Nexerelin 0.6.0) (Updated Soon)

We also recommend Version Checker to notify you when an update is ready.

Note: This mod uses custom shader effects.  If you suffer performance issues, adjust or disable these effects in Templars/data/config/templarShaders.json

Change Log
Version 0.9.5
- Updated for 0.7a
- Portraits added
- Sprite update
- Teuton Smiters are now 2 per wing, FP reduced to 12 from 14, refit time increased to 25 seconds from 20
- Singular fighter Clarent range reduced to 1200 (theoretical max 2400) from 1500 (theoretical max 3600)
- Aegis Shield cooldown increased to 3.5 seconds from 1
- Crusader armor increased to 1000 from 800
- Joyeuse Fractal Laser damage reduced to 800 from 900 per shot; ammo restriction lifted
- Sentenia Cannon flux cost reduced to 125 from 140 per shot
- Secace Autocannon damage increased to 120 from 75
- Secace Autocannon hard flux increased to 250 from 200
- Clarent MRM (Single) OP reduced to 3 from 4
- Clarent MRM OP reduced to 8 from 10
- Clarent MRM Tube OP increased to 20 from 18
- Clarent MRM Tube now regenerates 1 ammo every 67 seconds
- Lattice Shield now scales damage reduction, efficiency, and critical level based on ship size
- Clarents and ROLAND are smarter about retargeting from phased ships
- Added another boss ship for SS+

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7a] The Knights Templar v0.9.5
« Reply #533 on: November 27, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »

Does it work without SS+, if this is updated?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #534 on: November 27, 2015, 03:50:21 PM »

Of course.

Ceebees

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 27, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »

Noticed a small bug with the Rhon laser, the impact effect appears to be offset from the actual impact location

Spoiler
[close]

In motion, the effect is always that distance, but in line with the beam and not fixed relative to the ship model, if that helps?

VV Ah, whoops. Well, I never noticed it before, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:22:16 PM by Ceebees »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 27, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »

Noticed a small bug with the Rhon laser, the impact effect appears to be offset from the actual impact location

Spoiler
[close]

In motion, the effect is always that distance, but in line with the beam and not fixed relative to the ship model, if that helps?
It is a vanilla bug effecting all beam on hit effects, IIRC
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 27, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »

oh my... the thought of Templar ships with the power of combat 10 terrifies me.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 28, 2015, 12:23:13 AM »

On the flipside.. having a fleet with maxed officers on your side should help even more, as a lot of the Templar's abilities don't scale with Combat skills, like the burst and their unique shield stats. The damage-ups, speed bonuses and missile spec are terrifying though.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #539 on: November 28, 2015, 12:42:10 AM »

On the flipside.. having a fleet with maxed officers on your side should help even more, as a lot of the Templar's abilities don't scale with Combat skills, like the burst and their unique shield stats. The damage-ups, speed bonuses and missile spec are terrifying though.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they actually do scale with skills.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71