Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 71

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Knights Templar 0.9.8f  (Read 626901 times)

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4g
« Reply #510 on: November 04, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »

So funny discovery.

A Boxer mod-hull, with the full 30% OP from skills, +10% max flux from skills, and 17 points in Flux capacity, when using the ammo feeder's -30% flux cost will have JUUUUUST enough flux to fire an Arondight Accelerator.

That Onslaught had a big surprise.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 04, 2015, 10:16:31 PM »

So funny discovery.

A Boxer mod-hull, with the full 30% OP from skills, +10% max flux from skills, and 17 points in Flux capacity, when using the ammo feeder's -30% flux cost will have JUUUUUST enough flux to fire an Arondight Accelerator.

That Onslaught had a big surprise.
Jesus christ, lmao

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 05, 2015, 04:41:25 AM »

I am here because I like Starsector.  If I did not, do ye think I would be here?  I have better things to do than to troll forums, which is a waste of time.

If I develop mods for one game, but not Starsector, of course I will spend more time on the other game.  Actually, I like Starsector more than Transcendence overall, but I have mods to support for the latter - plenty of them, and some are big!  That leaves much less time for doing more things for Starsector.  This is a side-effect of me finding Transcendence before Starfarer by at least a year.  I would not have known about Starfarer/Starsector (or SPAZ) if not for the Transcendence community.

Anyone is free to upload their mods in any format.  Just do not expect others to use it if the format is not supported by default by the client's system.  There is no shame for me refusing to download third-party add-ons for me to use someone else's third-party add-on.

@ The_Soldier & Nanao-kun:  Take what I write as you will.  It is not my job to not offend people; too many people take offense for merely disagreeing with something.  People who are too concerned with offending others is how much of the world is cowed and silenced by political correctness these days.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:02:29 AM by Megas »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 05, 2015, 07:13:15 AM »

You can like Starsector and not mod it - in fact, that's pretty much me these days.  And I don't condemn you with the fact that you're not installing a 64-bit version of Java on your system because I went through hell and back to get that to work on my own computer.  Those aspects don't offend me in any way.  I respect what you say (and sometimes may not agree), but in the end, it's the way that you say these kinds of things that really ticks me me off.  It explicitly sounded like a threat when you said:
@ Tartiflette: I downloaded Scy a day or two ago, but I have not yet been motivated to install 7-zip on my computer to extract the files.  Until I need to use 7-zip for more stuff, I probably will not try Scy for a while.
You sound like a stuck-up guy in a Youtube comments sections saying, "if you don't do this, I'll unsubscribe!".  Although I do condemn Tartiflette for the file in .7z and not .zip (I mean, why would you do that?  .zip is pretty much the universal compressed file type), you could have simply asked to change the file type and not say what amount to "or else I won't play this mod."  At that point, you're just sounding like a prick.  And no, I am not "cowed and silenced" by political correctness here - I've been banned here for speaking up against stuff I didn't like, but that doesn't prevent me from speaking my point now.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 05, 2015, 07:21:34 AM »

If you are beyond downloading a tiny program in order to enjoy one of the best mods ever made for a game you play all the time, it's going to raise a few eyebrows. It's better to just say that you don't care about playing the mod all that much and the extra effort of getting 7zip makes you not care at all. That said, who gives a crap, please use this thread to discuss our mod and not Megas' idiosyncrasies

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 05, 2015, 07:27:10 AM »

That said, who gives a crap, please use this thread to discuss our mod and not Megas' idiosyncrasies
Fair enough.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 05, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »

@ Cycerin:  Understood.  I know being unorthodox may "raise eyebrows".  Remember when CR was introduced?  (I was in the minority who really disliked it.)  Then again, better left buried.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 05, 2015, 09:59:10 AM »

[...]Although I do condemn Tartiflette for the file in .7z and not .zip (I mean, why would you do that?  .zip is pretty much the universal compressed file type) [...]
Because I have a crappy slow and unstable internet connection with tons of micro-disconnections. Since Bitbucket don't support upload resuming, the 25%+ size gain between a ZIP and a 7z for me is the difference between spending 45min trying to upload my mod and spending up to 2 hours... Besides, opening 7z archive is supported by almost every single archive software except the one built-in Windows Explorer.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 05, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »

@ The_Soldier & Nanao-kun:  Take what I write as you will.  It is not my job to not offend people; too many people take offense for merely disagreeing with something.  People who are too concerned with offending others is how much of the world is cowed and silenced by political correctness these days.
Your method of writing comes off as very condescending. That being said, text has no intonation.

[...]Although I do condemn Tartiflette for the file in .7z and not .zip (I mean, why would you do that?  .zip is pretty much the universal compressed file type) [...]
Because I have a crappy slow and unstable internet connection with tons of micro-disconnections. Since Bitbucket don't support upload resuming, the 25%+ size gain between a ZIP and a 7z for me is the difference between spending 45min trying to upload my mod and spending up to 2 hours... Besides, opening 7z archive is supported by almost every single archive software except the one built-in Windows Explorer.
Don't worry about it man. 7z files can be read by almost anything like you said, its not a big deal. If someone doesn't want to bite, its their own loss.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 08, 2015, 10:16:03 AM »

After butting heads with Templars some more, I've found another annoying NPC dynamic that I already hinted at in my earlier post. Clarent spam that happens with several Teuton wings and an Archbishop who keeps resupplying them. It's not unusual at all to have a dozen or more Clarents homing in on you at once, and these bursts can happen in quick succession every 10 seconds or so.

Now I am -not- arguing that such a fleet should not be able to take you apart, but being constantly on the receiving end of 'game over' style missile spam is beginning to feel cheap. I do want to still feel threatened by Teutons. Anyway, the only counter I can think of is either matching the Templar fleet 1:1 and having ridiculous Clarent-fests or bringing several Paladins to EMP burst them all and hopefully never miss a beat. I could see Flare Burst Launchers working, but they'd run out of ammo quickly.

I would much prefer if fighter wings mixed it up a little with other weapons or even Mini-Clarents that couldn't be restocked but instead regenerated. Thoughts?

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 08, 2015, 10:24:01 AM »

Since Clarents are pretty weak in regard to general missle defense, I would suggest simply fielding a dedicated PD (destroyer-sized) ship.
Try outfitting an Archer with Flare Burst Launchers if you can. It should work against concentrated missle spams.
Regenerating missles are bad news IMO.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:27:52 AM by SpacePoliticianAndaZealot »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 08, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »

Get a phase ship to bait the Clarents. Otherwise, a few large PD weapon can more or less nullify a Templar carrier fleet (Guardian PD, Juger cannon...).

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 08, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »

None of these strategies work very well against a sizeable number of Teutons. You'll simply get overwhelmed. As a phase ship, you're either: Far enough from your fleet that the Clarents keep circling you, in which case you're close enough to the carrier that Teutons just turn around and immediately re-arm. It's a stall. Or you're close enough to your fleet that the Clarents keep on flying, in which case your ships most likely get insta-fragged. Flare Bursts, Tiandong long-range Flak and Guardian PD all work, it's just not enough to save your ships.

The best Clarent defense is a Paladin with IPDAI, Rhons and Merceds. But even those get taken out. I brought two, along with an Asura, two Mayorate missile cruisers for AA and a couple of Skinwalkers for point capture. One Archbishop, six Teuton wings plus two Templar frigates are enough to take that fleet apart each time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:51:30 AM by Schwartz »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 08, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »

And if you turn it back on the AI with a Smiter-and-carrier fleet of your own, you dominate a few fights, then you hemorrhage in supplies and money just to maintain your cheese fleet.  Mostly a late-game option after you have stockpiled so much.

What Templars could use is a souped-up destroyer-sized carrier, just to aggravate people more.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #524 on: November 08, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »

The Smiter wings are being nerfed a bit, so you'll only see two per wing, plus they take longer to refit.  I will reduce the range on non-Smiter Clarents to SRM-tier, though, so they don't all come in at once.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 71