Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 71

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Knights Templar 0.9.8f  (Read 628678 times)

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] The Knights Templar v0.9.4g
« Reply #480 on: November 01, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I've made a few changes:

- Joyeuse Fractal Laser damage reduced to 800 from 900 per shot; ammo restriction lifted
- Sentenia Cannon flux cost reduced to 125 from 140 per shot
- Clarent MRM (Single) OP reduced to 3 from 4
- Clarent MRM OP reduced to 8 from 10
- Clarent MRM Tube OP increased to 20 from 18
- Clarent MRM Tube now regenerates 1 ammo every 67 seconds
- Lattice Shield now scales damage reduction, efficiency, and critical level based on ship size

The destroyer is not changed, frigates are generally buffed (0.8 -> 0.6 efficiency, 90% -> 95% damage reduction (full), 50% -> 60% damage reduction (critical), 75% -> 85% critical level), and the cruiser is definitely nerfed (1.0 efficiency, 80% damage reduction (full), 40% damage reduction (critical), 75% -> 70% critical level).
Awesome, sounds good to me.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #481 on: November 02, 2015, 02:36:00 AM »

Oh goody, Paladins will actually be manageable now!

A few more minor things (IMO anyway):
  • Aegis Shield is massively annoying. It's like "ha ha you think you can do damage to me? nope.jpg"
    If it had a longer cooldown (like, not <1 second) Crusaders would be a lot less tedious to fight. they could even have some other buff to compensate.
  • Teuton Smiters are already awful at the best of times and when just 1-2 wings are camping an Archbishop they can wtfomg everything within 1000 su. Maybe if they had longer refit time (though this breaks consistency with the other Teuton wings), or had only two Clarents + a weak gun of some sort instead of three Clarents, they'd be more bearable.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 02, 2015, 04:54:20 AM »

I had fleets with several Smiter wings and cheap carriers (Condor or Gemini), then watch the fireworks.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 02, 2015, 05:21:33 AM »

Secace and Galatine Autocannons both seem perfectly acceptable to me. I think the two are one of the things make Templar ships uniquely intimidating, as forcibly raising flux is such a rare effect. Similarly, both flavors of beam are uniquely powerful in the SS universe, but not so much as to be overbearing.
Galatines will tear stuff up.  Weapons are uniquely Templar, but can be used by anyone.  Once their weapons fall into my hands, it is a powerup for most of my ships (to the point that I no longer play Templars unless I want to play godships).  Some standard ships really get stronger; Paragon becomes a godship with Templar weapons.  Blackrock ships tend to have better hulls (and slightly worse weapons).  I have yet to put Templar weapons on Blackrock hulls, but I bet Blackrock ships will become extremely powerful.

As for Sentennia, the 800 range is godly for ships limited to energy mounts, and homing makes it even better.  No energy weapon aside from beams exceeds 700 range, and mediums do not exceed 600.  Shot range is one of the important stats in the game.  Some versions ago, it had better efficiency than heavy blasters.  For me, Sentennia is a no-brainer to use it instead of every other medium and heavy energy weapon unless I absolutely cannot have windup, such as a Hyperion versus Paragon match-up.  However, if Sentennias are in the game, then I need to fight Templars, and my Hyperion needs more (than 600) range to kill a Paladin in a one-on-one fight.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #484 on: November 02, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »

Hmm, how about this?

- Teuton Smiters are now 2 per wing, FP reduced to 12 from 14, refit time increased to 25 seconds from 20
- Aegis Shield cooldown increased to 5 seconds from 1
- Crusader armor increased to 1000 from 800

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 02, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »

I love the Juger. Big, arcing, energy ball of death.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 02, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »

I love the Juger. Big, arcing, energy ball of death.
After it got buffed some time ago, I can agree with this.  It is a great all-purpose weapon.  It murders fighter wings and knocks out missiles at least as well as flak.  While direct hits are nothing spectacular compared to other Templar heavyweights, the damage is not too shabby.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 02, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »

Secace and Galatine Autocannons both seem perfectly acceptable to me. I think the two are one of the things make Templar ships uniquely intimidating, as forcibly raising flux is such a rare effect. Similarly, both flavors of beam are uniquely powerful in the SS universe, but not so much as to be overbearing.
Galatines will tear stuff up.  Weapons are uniquely Templar, but can be used by anyone.  Once their weapons fall into my hands, it is a powerup for most of my ships (to the point that I no longer play Templars unless I want to play godships).  Some standard ships really get stronger; Paragon becomes a godship with Templar weapons.  Blackrock ships tend to have better hulls (and slightly worse weapons).  I have yet to put Templar weapons on Blackrock hulls, but I bet Blackrock ships will become extremely powerful.

As for Sentennia, the 800 range is godly for ships limited to energy mounts, and homing makes it even better.  No energy weapon aside from beams exceeds 700 range, and mediums do not exceed 600.  Shot range is one of the important stats in the game.  Some versions ago, it had better efficiency than heavy blasters.  For me, Sentennia is a no-brainer to use it instead of every other medium and heavy energy weapon unless I absolutely cannot have windup, such as a Hyperion versus Paragon match-up.  However, if Sentennias are in the game, then I need to fight Templars, and my Hyperion needs more (than 600) range to kill a Paladin in a one-on-one fight.
Hmm. Galatines are good, but I wouldn't say they're that good. They're a little different from the Secace cannons in that their damage is actually respectable as well, but I don't know. I don't tend to use them often as they're harder to come by, so maybe I'm just missing out.
As for Blackrock ships, I don't see how their weapons are weak, but the trick you're leaving out is that high end Blackrock ships tend to have very high OP, and the vent rate to handle venting constantly, both of which are required for the Sentenia cannon on a smaller ship. I know the 800 range is amazing. It is. But you seem to just discount the 50% extra op over a heavy blaster. What this basically comes down to, is the Sentenia Cannons big unique thing is 200 range at the cost of 6 more OP. Is that worth it sometimes? Certainly. Most of the time? Probably not.

Blackrock ships one or two med energy mounts probably handle it better than anything if you cut corners elsewhere to make up the OP, but that still doesn't excuse it to me. The Sentenia Cannon isn't on the same level as other Templar weapons, mounting it doesn't mean an auto win. 200 range =/= Galatine like dominance. Its just not as good. When it had better efficiency than heavy blasters, it might have been too good simply because it was such a uniform upgrade if you could stomach the OP. As it is now, I personally still think it still needs a little better efficiency, or maybe better yet 2 OP off, but its fine. Its certainly not godly, and not an auto win. Mounting it is a choice.
Hmm, how about this?
- Teuton Smiters are now 2 per wing, FP reduced to 12 from 14, refit time increased to 25 seconds from 20
- Aegis Shield cooldown increased to 5 seconds from 1
- Crusader armor increased to 1000 from 800
The Smiter change seems good, I think the only thing I'd add is one wing of Smiters is manageable, three is not so much. I don't know how I'd try and account for that though, maybe putting the wings back up to three and giving and even longer refit time? Idk.
The Aegis Shield change miiiiight be a tad too much, I'd have to mess with it to say for sure. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds instead of 5, 5 seems like it might be a pinch too long.
Other than that I like it.

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 02, 2015, 12:15:12 PM »

I say you keep it at 3, and change the two-fer Clarent to a singleton. Maybe change the single 360-arc Carnewwan to two 180-arcs to stay comparable to other variants. You still end up with 6 missiles both ways. I would've just removed the built-in singleton, but then it'd lag behind the other variants.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #489 on: November 02, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »

i cant make the changes you describe, aside from swapping the dual rack for a single, unless I make a separate fighter hull.  At which point, I might as well make a new sprite and new ship altogether.  At least seeing a pair is a red flag for pain.

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 02, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »

I checked the files. I though each version had a ship file, but you use a single hull.ship file and use variants to add weapons.

Eh, it's all good.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 02, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »

i cant make the changes you describe, aside from swapping the dual rack for a single, unless I make a separate fighter hull.  At which point, I might as well make a new sprite and new ship altogether.  At least seeing a pair is a red flag for pain.
True, being able to easily spot them easily would allow you think about if you like your odds or not, and to plan ahead accordingly. I think that's fine for now, unless someone comes up with a more elegant solution.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 02, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »

Secace is not powerful enough to be useful against anything bigger than a frigate.  Galatines are good enough that I mount a few instead of Maulers, HVDs, and some heavy weapons.  Forcing overloads your enemy can do nothing about and causing (possibly splash) damage while you are at is good.

I know the 800 range is amazing. It is. But you seem to just discount the 50% extra op over a heavy blaster. What this basically comes down to, is the Sentenia Cannons big unique thing is 200 range at the cost of 6 more OP. Is that worth it sometimes? Certainly. Most of the time? Probably not.
I did not forget.  800 range, homing, more efficient than blaster is much better than anything standard can offer.  For Hyperion, the homing aspect means I can cut out the pair of IR Pulse Lasers I mount for anti-fighter.  Instead, I can use Sentennia pair alone and outperform Hyperion with blasters and small weapons.  I have usually have no trouble cutting OP somewhere to fit Sentennia on most hulls.  Wolf becomes much more dangerous because it does not need to get so close to shoot things with a blaster.  Part of high-tech's weakness is it cannot kite with short-ranged pulse lasers and blasters.  Sentennias (and Juger and Joyese) enables high-tech ships to kite just as well as low-tech or other ballistic-heavy ships.

With Blasters, I need to get close, and I need to aim or I miss.  With Sentennia, I can hang further back and point at their general direction and be assured of hitting most of the time.  The only weakness with Sentennia is long-windup, which makes fighting phase ships a pain, and prevents Hyperion teleporting tricks to bypass omni-shields (that is, teleport behind ship and fire before it can raise shields).

If you can use heavier Templar weapons comfortably, by all means, use them instead of Sentennia.  Juger is an all-purpose weapon, doing both offense and defense at the same time well.  Joyese is flashy long-range pain, much like Onslaught's dual TPCs.  When I compare Sentennia to standard energy weapons (short range, poor efficiency) or Longinus (more expensive, soft flux only), Sentennia seems to reign supreme for medium energy mounts.  Sentennia even outranges Autopulse Laser and Plasma Cannon, so if I do not have enough OP for a real heavy weapons, I can still use Sentennia in a heavy energy mount.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 02, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »

I don't think the nerf to the Crusader's system is good. The 1-second cooldown makes it extremely powerful, yes, but I think it really needs to be that powerful. The Crusader can't flee, dodge, or stay at long range, so its durability is all it has going for its survival. The extraoridinary staying power it has is its primary attribute and I think it's perfect the way it is right now. (But I'll withhold any more complaining until I actually get to play with the change.)

I do like the rest of the changes though.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 02, 2015, 05:18:28 PM »

Alright lets break this down. Heavy Blaster flux to damage ratio is 36:25 (-36.1% efficiency). Pre-nerf Sentenia was a 12:11 (-8.7%) ratio, which is obvious miles better than anything else. Post nerf Sentenia is 7:5 (-33.3%), which puts it basically on par with the Heavy Blaster, but the Cannon is still ~3% better. Current state Sentenia 5:4 (-22.2%), which is much better. The Cannon has slightly less DPS than the blaster, 200 more range, tracking, and no friendly fire. The Blaster has 8 less OP, and 5 times the alpha damage.

So calculating using 1000 armor, one Blaster hit will do 166.6 damage to armor, while a Sentenia shot will do ~9.1 damage a hit for 90.9 damage a burst, if they all hit roughly the same spot, not accounting for armor loss during the burst. This makes the Blaster 58.8% better than the Sentenia against heavily armored targets, at least initially, and it only gets worse the more armor is involved.

So do you think the Cannon should be not be changed from its current form? Also, im curious as to what you think of the SKS cannons from P9 Megas. Do you think those are overpowered?
Also, what you said about using a Sentenia in a heavy slot is something I was avoiding bringing up because I couldn't think of a good way to word it, but it generally feels like the only ships that could handle the cost of the post nerf Sentenia were ships that had more large than medium slots, and I would rather use those large slots when I can, Templar weapons not withstanding. You seem to really really value the tracking, much more than I do, so there's not for me to say about it.

I will say the Sentenia seems more adept at killing smaller ships than larger ones, because of its qualities. That might be kind of a stretch, but it is highly effective vs fighters, and not great against armor. Your Hyperion example seems to be somewhat of an isolated case to me, and I have to say I don't really have issues with aiming at fighters, and if you're having a hard time or not wanting to spare the focus, just let the AI do it. Its probably better 90% of the time anyway. The range is something I can't contest. Because long range energy weapons are so rare, that 200 su is probably worth far more than it should be. But as I said, I think its good the way it is, but I think 18 -> 16 OP might be fine too. Would take some testing to see if it was too good, but I think it would work.

I don't think the nerf to the Crusader's system is good. The 1-second cooldown makes it extremely powerful, yes, but I think it really needs to be that powerful. The Crusader can't flee, dodge, or stay at long range, so its durability is all it has going for its survival. The extraoridinary staying power it has is its primary attribute and I think it's perfect the way it is right now. (But I'll withhold any more complaining until I actually get to play with the change.)
I do like the rest of the changes though.
You can make the Crusader changes yourself easily now if you like (not the shield changes though). I can tell you how if you like.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 71