Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hidden Secrets of the Loadout Masters  (Read 15749 times)

Hotshot3434

• Ensign
  • "Time For Some Thrilling Heroics"
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden Secrets of the Loadout Masters
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »

Where do you find the ion cannons? there don't seem to be any on the orbital station, and i haven't come across one as loot yet.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »

The orbital station for some reason doesn't always add items/ships to its inventory, even if they are spawned in the convoy (at least thats how it appears in the convoy script)

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »

I just noticed you mention ion cannons for shields - I thought ion damage just disabled stuff? Don't think that would work too good vs shields, since their DPS is pretty terrible.

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 01:18:25 PM »

I dont think its the dps that brings down shields - its the flux damage. I am however not sure if flux damage is applied past shields.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »

Hmm, I think I modded Ions to be a little more effective against shields because I felt they were pretty underwhelming.  I just tried it after  a reinstall and they do still to some degree, but its a little different.  Instead of burrowing through the shields like a bloodthirsty mole, you just fly up to the ass end of a cruiser and disable its rear PD systems, then unleash your hell in peace.  I thought vanilla Ions were pretty terrible but used right they can really turn frigates into pretty effective flagship sinkers.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »

My favorite ship and loadout
Medusa
In the 2x omni slots i run 2x Harpoon MRM
In the 2x Medium energy 2x Pulse Laser
In the front 2 small energy, 2x IR pulse laser
in the back 3 small energy, 3x LR pd laser
Advanced turret gyro mod
20 vents
6 capacitors
(everything but the mrm's on autofire)

I originaly fit this with antimater blasters in the front but i found they were such energy hogs that they barely ever even fired as my flux would be to high to allow them to. The Pulse lasers give me great range, great damage for low flux and blow the crap out of everything and anything. the turret gyros and the fast rate of fire of the pulse lasers also mean i can eat up fighters and bombers... just go near them and boom all dead no one ever goes back to there carriers!

The pd lasers do a good job shooting down missiles going for my butt while my sheilds tank front missiles just fine without any front facing pd.

What i love is the damage at range and how well it works even when at full flux, as well as its anti fighter capabilities. Have not found a ship that i enjoy more or that feels as insanly powerfull on hte field in my hands, can easily work around the sheilds of large targets and tear them a new one. If i give it to the AI and pilot something else it always dies but if i fly it just eats through everything something about the ai and that fit makes it suicide.

Also the one carrier i forget its name but the larger of the ones you can get at the station is refit with LRM and missile magazine i love how many missiles it spews out i just captured 2x onslaughts and with them spewing missiels its fantastic.

Space Bear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »

Okay, I had a very successful run in the campaign today, lasting almost a complete cycle (year).

Flagship for most of that period was an Odyssey-class Battleship.

The final iteration of it consisted of the following:
3 Large Energy Slots - 2x Tachyon Lance(left side) 1x Pulse Laser(right side)
3 Medium Missile Slots - 2x Salamander MRM 1x Harpoon MRM
12 Small Energy Slots - 12x IR Pulse Laser

Extended Shields
Hardened Shields

4x into Vents
15x into Capacitors

The two lances were good for ripping frigates apart at long range while the IR Pulses kill any fighters or munitions that get near you, as well as overload most destroyer and capital ship shields. Plus enough Cap to have a constant wall of red lasers flying off your ship.

Never managed to capture a Paragon, but looting Tachyon Lances off them makes for some good experimenting.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »

Absolute favorite hull would be the Apogee (with maybe a bigger missile mount, but hey), but that isn't what I'm here for.
Also, for each of my loadouts, vents/capacitors are entirely a matter of preference.

If I had to pick one ship to be my only ship, it would be:
--- Hammerhead ---
- 2 Heavy Maulers
- 2 Harpoon Missiles
- 4 LR PD Lasers (for those pesky fighters)
- Expanded Missile Racks
This thing is absolutely spectacular, and can handle quite a few fighters.

In terms of fleet frigates, I would go with the following:
--- Wolf ---
- 1 Graviton Beam
- 2 Harpoon Missiles
- 3 LR PD Lasers (again, for the fighters)
- Expanded Missile Racks
Again, amazing for just about everything,
but you could probably tweak it as necessary to fit different roles.
The number one problem is the availability of these frigates,
since they are rare and are usually only with Tri-Tachyon, I think.

And as a final note, remember the following:

BROADSWORD FIGHTERS BROADSWORD FIGHTERS

That is all.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 12:29:40 PM »

It's a little sad to me how little love the midline and low tech ships get! I have so much love for the Eagle cruiser, was my flagship for an extended period of time, although I admit that the Odyssey was also pretty great. I swapped out the IR lasers for antimatter blasters, and the autopulse cannons for heavy blasters. Wound up being a pretty good broadside craft, and like someone else said, having a flight deck RIGHT THERE to rearm piranha bombers is pretty great.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »

Hmm, I think I modded Ions to be a little more effective against shields because I felt they were pretty underwhelming.  I just tried it after  a reinstall and they do still to some degree, but its a little different.  Instead of burrowing through the shields like a bloodthirsty mole, you just fly up to the ass end of a cruiser and disable its rear PD systems, then unleash your hell in peace.  I thought vanilla Ions were pretty terrible but used right they can really turn frigates into pretty effective flagship sinkers.

Well, ions aren't meant to be good vs shields - their specialty is disabling ships that aren't shielded. If you can maneuver around them and nail em in an unshielded spot it can be devastating, but hitting their shields won't do much. Graviton beams are better for dropping the shields initially.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »

Wolf: phase beam on the front, 3 burst pd lasers, enhanced optics on the hull, rest into vents

DANG that thing is good. Incredible range for a frigate and that phase beam is NASTy
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »

mmm I tend to prefer just three tactical lasers on personals wolf (with harpoon mrms, with +engines +optical +missilerack) - Does the spinal mount phase beam do enough deeps to make keeping exactly on target worth it?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »

Yes. It is dang fun.  :)  This is obviously a personal preference, though.

I will have to try yours. Would be nice not to have to strafe everywhere.

I need to play with the Sunder. It's fragile, but think of the possibilities of that large energy mount. Tachyon lance?  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 09:14:21 PM »

wolf with PD lasers heavy blaster, 25% range and maxed flux able to solo ever large pirate fleets, heavy blaster oneshot kill fighters and with nice aim you able to destroy wings in no time.
missle racks removed to allow more flux

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »

my flag ships loadout. not to different from a the default. but i like it

Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3