Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quality of Life Improvements  (Read 4000 times)

NeutroniumFurnace

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Quality of Life Improvements
« on: June 11, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »

I have been playing the game for about 2 months now, and I have noticed a few things that would go to helping the game.

1. A better settings menu.
2. The ability to turn off tooltips.
3. Additional commands that involve shields (always on, always off, specific angle, on until hitting the flux limit, etc.)
4. Additional commands regarding flux (vent flux at xx%, hold fire at xx% flux, etc.)
5. Increased zoom capabilities to help with close combat engagements
6. A better weapon UI. Currently, ships with insane amount of weapons can't see all their options in combat that get cut off by the screen.
7. Additional ships in the galaxy. (this is more gameplay than quality of life) The galaxy is rather barren.

I would like to hear what the community has to say on my ideas. I am pretty sure some people out there would gladly argue me red in the face over some of these and I would gladly like to hear criticisms and counter suggestions. :)

NeutroniumFurnace

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of Life Improvements
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:56:24 AM »

I am quite surprised no one has yet argued with me yet on these. I was half expecting someone to start ranting about how we don't need a better options menu. xD

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:06:10 AM »

I am quite surprised no one has yet argued with me yet on these.

That is because your suggestions are very unspecific, why don't you try to explain what you mean with concrete examples :)
It also helps to focus on one major issue within a thread, lists don't invite much discussion.

What improvements do you want in the settings menu? I'm not really missing anything there, but if you got a good idea...

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »

What improvements do you want in the settings menu? I'm not really missing anything there, but if you got a good idea...
One thing that I would do with the settings menu is swap its tab with the controls tab. It would make toggling mouse aiming faster
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

NeutroniumFurnace

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »

First, I'd think better graphics options are in order. As of right now, we have NONE. No AA, no V-sync, nothing. I know the game is still technically in alpha, but its a little embarrassing not having graphics options on a PC. It's like I am playing on an Xbone.

Second, the ability to turn off tooltips. After playing the campaign for the 5th time, I think it's perfectly fine to allow players to turn off tooltips.

Third, (and this is just personal preference) an FPS counter would be nice, but that's by no means required.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

While they aren't on the settings menu, there are various graphics options available in data/config/settings.json. However... what do you want to DO with these options? The game looks good. It runs on low end machines. If you want to push the envelope, take a look at the shader mod.

Tooltips don't just clarify what things are - they also give a lot of very important information that isn't presented in any other way. For example, the in depth supply/repair usages and what has impacted CR. Basically Alex has made a two stage UI - the at a glance and the details. So... why would you want to turn them off?

There is a FPS and load counter in the top left corner? I think that's default, though I may have turned them on a long time ago and forgotten about them.

I don't mean to be snarky btw - I'm just honestly wondering why you want those things. Whats your perspective on them?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »

There is a FPS and load counter in the top left corner? I think that's default, though I may have turned them on a long time ago and forgotten about them.
This is on for me as well and I don't think I ever turned anything on. Also the FPS counter is in the top right on the campaign main screen, top left on the menu and bottom edge center for combat.

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

NeutroniumFurnace

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »

Huh. Never noticed the FPS counter in the corner. My bad.

Yes, I understand the tooltips are rather in-depth, but I have seen all of them MULTIPLE TIMES. It's rather annoying when I know the entire game's mechanics and systems back to front and you still see 8 different tooltips whenever you start a new game. It's irritating and a slight bit unprofessional.

The reasons I would like an options menu is the fact that with an options menu, the game could and would work on a greater number of PC's. The fact that we have "tooltip delay" which is an entirely useless option, when we don't have AA or V-sync is completely unprofessional. I shouldn't have to mod my game to change the settings. It should be IN THE SETTINGS MENU.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:57:24 AM »

Yes, I understand the tooltips are rather in-depth, but I have seen all of them MULTIPLE TIMES. It's rather annoying when I know the entire game's mechanics and systems back to front and you still see 8 different tooltips whenever you start a new game. It's irritating and a slight bit unprofessional.
Uh... when starting a new game, you see that checkbox that says, "campaign help"? 

Unchecking that shuts off the tooltips that I think you're referring to- the newbie-nag-screen stuff that pops up when you buy your first ship, weapon or whatever.  The other tooltips are all useful, changing data; suppressing them entirely probably wouldn't be useful, as then you'd have to uncheck that option to get those details.  IDK, I guess I just don't see what the issue is there; most of the tooltips don't show up unless you're hovering your mouse over the Fleet UI in the lower-left, and you're not doing that unless you want that info... so I'm really not sure what other "tooltips" we are talking about here.

The reasons I would like an options menu is the fact that with an options menu, the game could and would work on a greater number of PC's.
With the lone exception of having a particle slider and maybe having a really drastic setting that shut off the ship / missile engine dynamics, no... and frankly, in Vanilla, neither of these things tend to matter all that much, as there are a bunch of things that are more of the load.

This game isn't even using shaders natively, for example; there's practically nothing that can be "optioned off" that would drastically change performance. 

It's practically never ever the GPU that's the chokepoint anyhow, period, even on weak laptops and suchlike; it's almost always the CPU that slows stuff down, period.  The only major exception I can think of there is the alpha-testing speed issues with the "whiteout" ship explosions, which are dragging down FPS quite a bit sometimes for some users, but that's due to rendering order issues there, I think, rather than something that can be dealt with via some magic checkbox toggle.

The fact that we have "tooltip delay" which is an entirely useless option
It's not useless; if you even want those minor tooltips to not show, you can set it to a really big number manually in the data/config/settings.json file.

...when we don't have AA or V-sync is completely unprofessional
Uh.  The game is Vsynced by default, which, again, you can change in data/config/settings.json.  Same with FPS limits, if you want to see it unsynced and with a really high FPS for some strange reason.

In terms of AA... this is not a 3D title, it's a 2D title that uses OpenGL in a very simple, straightforward way.  AA is really only useful in 3D when there's a depth buffer available, to determine which texels need to be de-jaggied.  It wouldn't help a lot with SS.  Anisotropic filtering might help sharpen up ship sprites a little when really zoomed out, though.

I shouldn't have to mod my game to change the settings. It should be IN THE SETTINGS MENU.
I agree with this statement in principle, but it's Alpha for a reason, and if editing a couple of lines in a text file counts as "modding" to you, then you may need to wait until Beta. 

In general, if it's a setting and it's new-ish, it's implemented via settings.json at first, and if people like it a lot, it gets to migrate.  If Alex ever makes that UI extensible, however, expect that to change really rapidly, especially with mods; Alex is quite aware that we'd like to be able to turn all sorts of behaviors on / off and offer end-users a more customized experience.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

NeutroniumFurnace

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 02:56:16 AM »

Ok, tooltip-wise, I was simply speaking about the campaign help...and yes, that does help. (and no, I didn't see it. *facepalm*) I am not talking about all tooltips, because yes, those are SOOOO helpful, i'd rather not do without them.

Alpha or not, a decent settings menu is still something that would make the game better. The point of the suggestions section is for these things to EVENTUALLY be solved. As with my other issues, they don't have to be solved NOW, they are simply thing I wish to see in the final version of the game. I am pretty sure that the developers are most worried about making the new economy model work right now that whether they have V Sync in their game or not. But the argument still stands, with how the settings menu is now, it is more suitable for a console settings menu than a PC release. (note to self: make a StarSector mod for consoles)

Back in the past, I also said that I would like additional commands for ships in command mode. With a few more commands and some creative thinking, it is rather easy to create insane battle formations. While it isn't going to hurt the game not to have it, having it would increase my satisfaction in the game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:01:38 AM by NeutroniumFurnace »

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 07:10:42 AM »

The quality of life improvement I would like most is when you press "escape" mid-battle it quits to the main menu, not shuts down the game application entirely.  I would also enjoy an Iron Mode autosave each time you dock. 

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »

The quality of life improvement I would like most is when you press "escape" mid-battle it quits to the main menu, not shuts down the game application entirely. 
Especially when it does this in normal mode...

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too