Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Past 8 Months (Video games inside)  (Read 3194 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Past 8 Months (Video games inside)
« on: June 07, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »

Things have been exciting.

GAME:

I've been trying to get into the world of game development for... well, pretty much all my semi-adult life. And I made it, at long last.

About eight months ago, my university’s development team was created. We split into two teams, and started work on two games, a 2D rouge-like, and a 3D obstacle dodger. I was on the 3D team. The rouge-like didn’t survive for very long, sadly. Anyway, we kept working on it pretty heavily over the two semesters, and I found myself climbing up the ranks until I was the lead programmer + audio guy.

We submitted the game to the E3 College Game Competition in April.

...And we placed in the top five, meaning we’re shipping out to Los Angeles on Monday to show the game off at E3.

So that’s the primary reason I’ve been pretty inactive around here and haven’t updated my mod in ages.

Without further delay, here’s Paper Dream!

Play it here: http://cargocollective.com/infinitemachineofltu
You’ll need Unity’s web player.

Let me know what you think. It’s still in a bit of development, and feedback helps a lot. And if anyone is going to E3, feel free to stop by. We’ll be next to Square Enix at the College Game Competition kiosks.

And the soundtrack was, of course, done by yours truly, which brings us to…

MUSIC:

I’ve been composing like mad over the months: The whole soundtrack for Paper Dream, several commissions for MesoTroniK, a game for a class (that was horrible and will never be seen), and some personal stuff.

I set up a Bandcamp page: http://bgregory.bandcamp.com/

You can download the Paper Dream soundtrack there for free (but if you want to pay for it, then I’m not going to stop you).

I also just released my Citrine EP, which is a collection of some of my more recent work. $4 for six songs (But if you don’t want to pay you could just get Audacity and record your PC’s audio as you listen to the tracks on that page).

And if you use the promo code "e3" you can get it for $2, but only until June 16th.

I’ll hopefully be releasing my next LP there before the end of the summer.

MORE GAME:

After Paper Dream was “done”, the dev group split into smaller teams and started doing their own thing.

The game my team is making? It’s pretty awesome.

I don’t… think… I’m under an NDA, but I’m going to show you some stuff anyway.

Yes, that is a hex grid. Yes, those are default Unity GUI buttons. Don’t look at them please. Art team hasn’t quite finished with their redesign of everything yet.

It’s a simple turn-based strategy game. The twist? There aren’t any set unit types. You have the ability to craft all of your units as you play the game. The more enemies you kill, the more you can upgrade your units to aid your current tactical or strategic situation. The units visually reflect all of the upgrades. I told you it was awesome!

Game is slated to be finished and released later this year, and has been in development for about two months.

CONCLUSION:

Lots of work was done, lots of work to do. But if anyone is like "You lazy piece of crap update Obsidian Void" then I will say this: it's not over. It might take years, but it will live on, though it won't be a mod for Starsector.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Past 8 Months (Video games inside)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 02:42:55 AM »

That's great for you Psiyon, i couldn't tried yet this paper plane game (will do) but i watched some videos on youtube. It looks pretty funny but hard as hell. The dude in the video however said you should lower the ceiling, for a moment he thought he could fly over a desk and... Crashed. The video was a few months old so maybe you changed it in the meanwhile.

I'm currently listening to the music, i kinda like. Will probably listen to it while spriting.

For your new project, i'm not that much into hex turn-based game, but i will still keep an eye on it.

Again, congrats on making it into the video game world.

Edit: Okay, reached level 15 when suddenly... Flying purple books! Screw this, i'll watch a let's play instead, too hard.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:39:35 AM by HELMUT »

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:54:08 AM »

The secret to those books on level 15 is to stay calm, align yourself to a vertical gap between them and glide through. They swirl like crazy only horizontally, but don't change height.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »

Congratulations! Man, thats just fantastic. I'm in a good mood now.

Just tried the game a bit - its really hard on a touch pad lol! I'm going to switch computers.

Digging the music! Its amazing how much of a difference good music makes. The overlay of drive and light bell sounds really sets up a mood. Consider me impressed.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:43:33 AM »

Very nice. Congratulations!  :D

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »

Thanks guys :)

It's kind of weird, I think it just hit me: I'm going to be in LA tomorrow. Staying in West Hollywood. For E3. And also a tour of Blur Studios. God damn I can't wait.

GAMIN' ALL DAY, CLUBBIN' ALL NIGHT AW YEAH.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 04:29:27 AM »

That's all really cool,

Enjoy E3!  :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"